Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Problem with my cd-writer

Problem with my cd-writer

BCheng_ca

everytime when i tried to write a cd, Nero give me the error msg
"power calibration error".
this is the 2nd cd-writer that give this to me
and this happened after i overburn a 700MB cd with 724MB of data

my com spec:
Win XP SP1
ATAPI 32X10X32X CD-writer (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
40GB Maxtor ATA66 (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
a-Head NERO Burning Rom

Barry Watzman

Stop overburning !!!

If it still happens, try it again.

The spiral path on a CD media is only so long, and when you overburn you
are trying to put data beyond the end of it. There is a LITTLE extra
spiral there beyond the certified and tested length, but the amount
varies by media, and it may be VERY little. Since you have no way of
knowing either how much is there OR if, it's any good (whether it's
there or not), and since the length of the "good" part will vary from
piece to piece even in the same batch of media, overburning is extremely
dangerous, because if you run beyond the end of the "good" spiral, the
entire disc is runined and useless (it will never be "closed" properly).

BCheng_ca wrote:
> everytime when i tried to write a cd, Nero give me the error msg
> "power calibration error".
> this is the 2nd cd-writer that give this to me
> and this happened after i overburn a 700MB cd with 724MB of data
>
> my com spec:
> Win XP SP1
> ATAPI 32X10X32X CD-writer (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
> 40GB Maxtor ATA66 (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
> a-Head NERO Burning Rom

Joel Whitburn, Jr.

Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3F6A4AB4.7040900
@neo.rr.com:

> Stop overburning !!!
>
> If it still happens, try it again.
>
> The spiral path on a CD media is only so long, and when you overburn you
> are trying to put data beyond the end of it. There is a LITTLE extra
> spiral there beyond the certified and tested length, but the amount
> varies by media, and it may be VERY little. Since you have no way of
> knowing either how much is there OR if, it's any good (whether it's
> there or not), and since the length of the "good" part will vary from
> piece to piece even in the same batch of media, overburning is extremely
> dangerous, because if you run beyond the end of the "good" spiral, the
> entire disc is runined and useless (it will never be "closed" properly).

Also, make sure your hard drive is defragged. This way, the cd burner is
not looking all over the disk for what you are trying to burn.

Joel

MF

Here's what nero has to say.,

10. "Power calibration error", "Focus servo failure", "Laser
adjustment error", "Monitor ATIP error", "Write emergency" or "Spindle
servo failure":

These are really bad hardware errors. Maybe using another brand of
CDRs could help. If this doesn't help, then you'll probably need to
have your recorder repaired.

Did you try other media?

Mike

"BCheng_ca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> everytime when i tried to write a cd, Nero give me the error msg
> "power calibration error".
> this is the 2nd cd-writer that give this to me
> and this happened after i overburn a 700MB cd with 724MB of data
>
> my com spec:
> Win XP SP1
> ATAPI 32X10X32X CD-writer (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
> 40GB Maxtor ATA66 (connected w/ a ATA66 cable)
> a-Head NERO Burning Rom

Barry Watzman

Whether or not the hard drive is defragged won't matter on a modern
system with a modern burner. It mattered when I was trying to burn from
a 486 or Pentium 75 system in 1996 (and "coasters" cost $6 each), but
it's just not an issue in the last 2 years (and in almost all cases a
lot further back than that).

Joel Whitburn, Jr. wrote:

> Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3F6A4AB4.7040900
> @neo.rr.com:
>

>>Stop overburning !!!
>>
>>If it still happens, try it again.
>>
>>The spiral path on a CD media is only so long, and when you overburn you
>>are trying to put data beyond the end of it. There is a LITTLE extra
>>spiral there beyond the certified and tested length, but the amount
>>varies by media, and it may be VERY little. Since you have no way of
>>knowing either how much is there OR if, it's any good (whether it's
>>there or not), and since the length of the "good" part will vary from
>>piece to piece even in the same batch of media, overburning is extremely
>>dangerous, because if you run beyond the end of the "good" spiral, the
>>entire disc is runined and useless (it will never be "closed" properly).
>>

> Also, make sure your hard drive is defragged. This way, the cd burner is
> not looking all over the disk for what you are trying to burn.
>
> Joel

Joel Whitburn, Jr.

Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Whether or not the hard drive is defragged won't matter on a modern
> system with a modern burner. It mattered when I was trying to burn
> from a 486 or Pentium 75 system in 1996 (and "coasters" cost $6 each),
> but it's just not an issue in the last 2 years (and in almost all
> cases a lot further back than that).

So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning of a 120gb
hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it doesn't matter?
(and that's only assuming the file is split on two, and not several smaller
parts.)

Joel

Barry Watzman

Re: "So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning of
a 120gb hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it doesn't
matter? (and that's only assuming the file is split on two, and not
several smaller parts.)"

That's correct, as a practical matter. Yes, it does take the hard drive
a couple of milliseconds to jump from the end of one part of the file to
the beginning of the next fragment. But both the operating system, the
burner software and the CD-RW drive itself have buffers. The buffer in
the burner is going to be at least 2 megabytes, which, even at a high
burn speed is a second or so (many burners now have 8 MB buffers). And
that doesn't even count the buffers in the operating system or the
burner software. On top of that, any drive built in the last 2 years
(and some before that) has "burn proof" or a similar technology, if it
runs out of data it CAN physically stop the burn and resume it when the
data returns, with no bad effects. It used to be that running out of
data was fatal, but not with any modern drives.

So while, yes, it takes a couple of milliseconds to jump from one part
of the hard drive to another, in a modern system, it just doesn't
matter, becuse between the various buffers there is tens of seconds
worth of data built up and "ready to burn", and a modern computer can
refill the buffers far faster than the burner can empty them.

Joel Whitburn, Jr. wrote:

> Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Whether or not the hard drive is defragged won't matter on a modern
>>system with a modern burner. It mattered when I was trying to burn
>>from a 486 or Pentium 75 system in 1996 (and "coasters" cost $6 each),
>>but it's just not an issue in the last 2 years (and in almost all
>>cases a lot further back than that).
>>

> So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning of a 120gb
> hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it doesn't matter?
> (and that's only assuming the file is split on two, and not several smaller
> parts.)
>
> Joel

Joel Whitburn, Jr.

Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Re: "So if part of a file youa re trying to burn is at the beginning
> of a 120gb hd, and the other part is at the end of the 120gb hd, it
> doesn't matter? (and that's only assuming the file is split on two,
> and not several smaller parts.)"
>
> That's correct, as a practical matter. Yes, it does take the hard
> drive a couple of milliseconds to jump from the end of one part of the
> file to the beginning of the next fragment. But both the operating
> system, the burner software and the CD-RW drive itself have buffers.
> The buffer in the burner is going to be at least 2 megabytes, which,
> even at a high burn speed is a second or so (many burners now have 8
> MB buffers). And that doesn't even count the buffers in the operating
> system or the burner software. On top of that, any drive built in the
> last 2 years (and some before that) has "burn proof" or a similar
> technology, if it runs out of data it CAN physically stop the burn and
> resume it when the data returns, with no bad effects. It used to be
> that running out of data was fatal, but not with any modern drives.
>
> So while, yes, it takes a couple of milliseconds to jump from one part
> of the hard drive to another, in a modern system, it just doesn't
> matter, becuse between the various buffers there is tens of seconds
> worth of data built up and "ready to burn", and a modern computer can
> refill the buffers far faster than the burner can empty them.

Man, you learn something new everyday - thanks!

Joel