Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: What is the difference between Windows 98 and 98SE?

Re: What is the difference between Windows 98 and 98SE?

Barry Watzman

In terms of the hard drives, I don't see where 98 vs 98SE would matter.
However, it does matter for many other devices.

Although externally 98 and 98SE appear similar (deceptively similar),
intenally they are actually VERY different. In particular, 98SE
supports WDM model drivers, 98 (1st Ed) does not. So if you are trying
to use a peripheral for which only WDM drivers are available (for
example, some of the ATI All-in-Wonder video cards), they will work with
98SE but you are out of luck with 98 1st edition.

SOME of the other differences between 98 and 98SE can be fixed with
online upgrades and patches available via "Windows Update", but you
cannot convert 98 to 98SE, they really are different operating systems,
and more and more there are devices that truly require 98SE and that
won't work with 1st Edition. However, I don't see why that would be an
issue for an IDE internal disk drive, especially one below 137 gigs.

As for the DVD burner, again, it gets back not so much to the burner as
to the drivers that are required for the burner. If they are WDM
drivers (WDM = Windows Driver Model), then you are out of luck with 98
1st Ed.