Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > OEM

Barry Watzman

It's not possible to generalize either about support or about whether
the OEM and retail products are physically the same.

Some mfgrs. will directly support their OEM products, others (probably
most) will not.

Some OEM products are physically identical to the retail versions, some
are different in some ways.

It has to be approached on a case-by-case basis.

> I was always under the impression that OEM items are the same as the
> boxed version, but without the box and manuels which typically are a
> waste.
>
> A word from wise always research what you are buying, sometimes
> cheaper is not always better.
>
> Example:
>
> I bought some Dlink OEM nics with no install cd, but I downloaded the
> drivers from the website. i wanted to install the nic in a Win98
> machine which I was rebuilding. Needless to say after much
> frustration i was unable to get the nic to work with Win98. But I will
> try it in another machine.
>
> Gary
>
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:08:23 -0400, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>You are exactly WRONG. OEM devices are NOT supported in any way by the
>>manufacturer. This is the entire point of an OEM device. It is designed to
>>be sold cheaply to computer integrators. The devices are cheaper for reasons
>>including (but not limited to):
>>
>>- Complete lack of support from manufacturer (usually the manufacturer
>>assigns special serial numbers to OEM devices ... you give them one of those
>>numbers ... and meet Mr. Dialtone)
>>- They may be specially made for only a certain large computer integrator
>>(e.g. a "Dell" power supply)
>>- Certain OEM items may be sold without drivers or documentation. Usually
>>this is because the manufacturer assumes the computer integrator will get
>>these elsewhere.
>>
>>IMO, one of the worst facts about OEM devices is that they are sold in
>>computer systems all the time by small computer shops that either can't or
>>won't support them. Then, the customer has some silly false ideas about
>>these devices (like you) and expects someone else to magically have all the
>>means to support such devices.
>>
>>OEM in short means YOU are on YOUR own ... unless someone else has agreed to
>>help you.

techshare

Why do you want to attack me and spread nonsense in this group?!

Put your money where your mouth is and post links to two "identical"
products. One OEM, and one boxed. There is no way they would have the same
warranty and support ... else they wouldn't be OEM now would they?

Why would a manufacturer sell the same product for less as "OEM" ... and
not provide something less in return? Prove your nonsense, or shut up and go
back to business school. If this is still too complicated for you to
understand ... here is a link to an OEM hard drive. Unlike you, I can simply
provide a link to back up my simple and correct explanation.

http://www.compu-terra.com/spec.cgi?HDMXT8054+pw

"Since "generic" or "white" label prevents the end-user
from contacting the manufacturer for the warranty,
we as a seller honor internal 1-year warranty. "

ImhoTech, Remind us all again NOT to buy any OEM products from you!

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You are exactly WRONG. OEM devices are NOT supported in any way by the
> > manufacturer. This is the entire point of an OEM device. It is designed

> > be sold cheaply to computer integrators. The devices are cheaper for

> reasons
> > including (but not limited to):
> >
> > - Complete lack of support from manufacturer (usually the manufacturer
> > assigns special serial numbers to OEM devices ... you give them one of

> those
> > numbers ... and meet Mr. Dialtone)
> > - They may be specially made for only a certain large computer

integrator
> > (e.g. a "Dell" power supply)
> > - Certain OEM items may be sold without drivers or documentation.

Usually
> > this is because the manufacturer assumes the computer integrator will

get
> > these elsewhere.
> >
> > IMO, one of the worst facts about OEM devices is that they are sold in
> > computer systems all the time by small computer shops that either can't

or
> > won't support them. Then, the customer has some silly false ideas about
> > these devices (like you) and expects someone else to magically have all

> the
> > means to support such devices.
> >
> > OEM in short means YOU are on YOUR own ... unless someone else has

agreed
> > help you.
> > "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:3f6536ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > No, OEM devices are fully supported by the manufacturers. Unless the
> > > product is Windows - in this case the support is given by the
> > > seller.
> > >
> > > M.

> > > sell it
> > > may
> > > is it
> > >
> > > ==============
> > > For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

> You are so full of ****. Your statement's are just as wrong. OEM parts can
> have the warranty and support as retail box. We keep in stock sound cards,
> video cards, network cards and hard drives all OEM, all fully warrantied

and
> supported.

jonny bravo

FAQ: What Is The Definition of OEM?
It's important to have a full understanding of the definition for the term
"OEM". Often a computer hardware component is identified as being OEM. OEM
stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Semiconductor manufacturers have
two ways of distributing their products. Retail being the one you're no
doubt the most familiar with, and OEM.

If the component is OEM then it means the component is intended to be sold
as part of a complete system instead of as an individual component. OEM
components provide the manufacturer with the most revenue plus a more secure
revenue stream. This is because the OEMs, who are the ones buying the
component, must do so under a contract. The contract guarantees that the OEM
will make large monthly purchases of the component for a number of months.
In return, the the manufacturers provide much better volume pricing to the
OEMs.

Since OEMs agree in advance "how many" of a component they will buy and
"when" they will buy it, it's often the case that they end up with either
too many or too few of a particular component needed in the complete systems
they are selling. This difference is handled in the "gray market".

It's become standard practice for the OEM to agree to a contract knowing
they will end up with more product than they can use. The extra product is
sold at cost to brokers. The brokers in turn sell smaller quantities for a
mark-up to resellers at the retail level. The OEM product is typically
cheaper and has a shorter warranty, often 30 days, and the warranty is
through the reseller, not the manufacturer as is the case with retail
products.

The brokers are nameless, faceless folks, at least as far as you and I are
concerned. It's possible a broker could pull a fast one on a particular
component being sold to the reseller and the reseller would unknowingly pass
on the product to you, the customer. But no trustworthy reseller would
tolerate this kind of deception since it's the reseller who will have to
deal with the returns and angry customers, and it's the reseller whose
reputation will suffer. That's why it's important to deal with a reseller
that prizes his reputation.

techshare

Don't get ****ed because you don't know WTF you are talking about. You
couldn't even quote but the first line of my message ... because it was 100%
correct.

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why do you want to attack me and spread nonsense in this group?!
> >

> I attack you because you are a clueless ignorant **** that can't see

beyond
> your own limited realm of experience.
>
> You aren't worthy of extended debate, nor did I post any debatable point.

Install XP Pro 32bit OEM on XP Pro 64bit OEM, and dual boot =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?= Windows 64bit 8 10-04-2005 03:57 PM
Request for a downgrade from x64 OEM license to 32-bit OEM license =?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?= Windows 64bit 58 09-22-2005 11:33 PM
OEM a_Conan VHDL 2 09-02-2005 11:58 AM
Comparison of OEM and Retail Versions of software? Michael Patten Microsoft Certification 5 01-12-2005 03:31 AM
Buying OEM software - Windows XP Home Edition =?Utf-8?B?UkE=?= Microsoft Certification 3 01-11-2005 05:39 AM

Advertisments