Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Question about worm removal...

Re: Question about worm removal...

Ghost

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kathy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0074_01C37899.4F3971C0
>
> A few weeks ago I posted to the NG asking questions about my in-laws =
> computer having connection problems, well, she called me the other night =
> and I went over there to see if I could do anything to fix her =
> computer... well, I unchecked the box that tells the modem to disconnect =
> after so many minutes. After that I seen she had about ten things in the =
> systray, so I told her she doesn't need all of these things starting up =
> at startup. So, I ran the msconfig and went into the Startup folder to =
> uncheck some things... guess what I found? The msblast.exe (worm)... I =
> tried my best to download the patch and finally did, but that doesn't =
> help unless the worm is completely removed. She has NEVER updated any =
> windows updates or her NAV updates. I tried like hell to update the NAV =
> files, but each time it tells me there was a problem with the Internet =
> connection, well, there is no damn problem, unless this could be the =
> worm preventing me from getting the NAV updates? Anyway, what a mess her =
> computer is right now and I am the one that has to clean up the mess =
> just because some people are too damn lazy to get the updates!=20
>
> Now I already know about the FixBlast tool, but I want to remove the =
> worm manually because I want this to be a learning experience for me. I =
> know the step by step procedures, but what I really want to know is will =
> I have to do this in Safe Mode, or is it okay to do it in Normal =
> Startup? The OS is XP and they don't have broadband connection, just =
> dial-up...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kathy
> A+

The blaster worm is very easy to get rid of, and yes, as with all
viruses/worms, etc- it is best done in safe mode.

You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
different viruses. That was about a year ago.

Michael Hoffman

Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not McAfee

"Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
> all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
> Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
> updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
> different viruses. That was about a year ago.

Ghost

In article <3f6283a4$0$42040$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Michael
Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not McAfee
>
> "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
> > all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
> > Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
> > updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
> > different viruses. That was about a year ago.

We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home, and
the only thing we sell or recommend- period.

I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have seen
each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
having the fix/new defs for it available

I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
Elvis is still alive too... lol

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:57:12 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ghost) wrote:

>In article <3f6283a4$0$42040$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Michael
>Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not McAfee
>>
>> "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> > You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
>> > all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
>> > Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
>> > updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
>> > different viruses. That was about a year ago.

>We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
>thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home, and
>the only thing we sell or recommend- period.
>
>I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have seen
>each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
>it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
>hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
>having the fix/new defs for it available
>
>I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
>fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
>Elvis is still alive too... lol

My free AV program (I forget which one it was at the time,
InnoculateIT, I think) caught a virus forwarded to me by a Norton
user. He said that his sigs were up to date, and he is an electronics
technician, so is tech-savvy, but I have no way of knowing if it was.
He may have thought that up to date meant once a month, and
InnoculateIT typically had about 250 updates a year.

Tom

lglover

I think Elvis is alive. I saw him when I was in Vegas a couple of months
ago. Wait, that was an impersonator.
> In article <3f6283a4$0$42040$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Michael
> Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not

McAfee

> > "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > > You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not

at
> > > all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
> > > Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
> > > updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand)

with 4
> > > different viruses. That was about a year ago.

> We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
> thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home, and
> the only thing we sell or recommend- period.
>
> I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have seen
> each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
> it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
> hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
> having the fix/new defs for it available
>
> I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
> fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
> Elvis is still alive too... lol

natural_4u

I think I read something about Norton's AV Live-update will only update
every Wednesday.
But Viruses comes out every day and Norton does have updates for those new
viruses but you will have to download them manually Via the Intelligent
Updater.

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:57:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ghost) wrote:
>
> >In article <3f6283a4$0$42040$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Michael
> >Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not

McAfee

> >> "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

not at

files.

the

with 4

> >We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
> >thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home,

and
> >the only thing we sell or recommend- period.
> >
> >I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have

seen
> >each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
> >it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
> >hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
> >having the fix/new defs for it available
> >
> >I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
> >fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
> >Elvis is still alive too... lol

> My free AV program (I forget which one it was at the time,
> InnoculateIT, I think) caught a virus forwarded to me by a Norton
> user. He said that his sigs were up to date, and he is an electronics
> technician, so is tech-savvy, but I have no way of knowing if it was.
> He may have thought that up to date meant once a month, and
> InnoculateIT typically had about 250 updates a year.
>
> Tom

Ghost

You think wrong...

I have seen NAV updates every day when the times require it. They update
them as needed for newly discovered threats.

The Live Update on 2002 and above automatically update the defs every time
an internet connection is detected.

In article <Vyf9b.153413$(E-Mail Removed)>, "natural_4u"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think I read something about Norton's AV Live-update will only update
> every Wednesday.
> But Viruses comes out every day and Norton does have updates for those new
> viruses but you will have to download them manually Via the Intelligent
> Updater.
>

> "Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:57:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ghost) wrote:

> McAfee

> not at

> files.

> the

> with 4
> > >

> > >We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
> > >thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home,

> and
> > >the only thing we sell or recommend- period.
> > >
> > >I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have

> seen
> > >each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
> > >it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
> > >hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
> > >having the fix/new defs for it available
> > >
> > >I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
> > >fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
> > >Elvis is still alive too... lol

> > My free AV program (I forget which one it was at the time,
> > InnoculateIT, I think) caught a virus forwarded to me by a Norton
> > user. He said that his sigs were up to date, and he is an electronics
> > technician, so is tech-savvy, but I have no way of knowing if it was.
> > He may have thought that up to date meant once a month, and
> > InnoculateIT typically had about 250 updates a year.
> >
> > Tom

natural_4u

I don't think I'm that wrong....