Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Internet Explorer Problem

Internet Explorer Problem

Matty

Apologies for the X Post but I really need some help on this: Please scroll
down and any thoughts please let me know!!

"Matty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj5i8r$lfi$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "harold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bj5fv7$i05$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Matty wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > A neighbours PC (PIII 500Mhz, 128MB Ram, Win98, Freeserve ISP),
> > > internet connection is seriously playing up.
> > >
> > > The saga goes a friend of this neighbour tried to install a software
> > > firewall, (I have no idea which..... maybe McAfee) but all went to
> > > poop and the thing failed to boot normally afterwards. The friend
> > > uninstalled the software, and got the PC to boot, now he is
> > > unavailable!! But now when double clicking the IE icon, the freeserve
> > > make a new connection wizard appears, (white with connect or cancel
> > > links). When I click connect, the thing dials 0845 0796699, tells me
> > > I am entering a secure zone so I click OK, then all I get is the page
> > > unavailable page!! (Full screen and it needs ALT F4 to close it!)
> > >
> > > Now, if I click the freeserve icon, or the OE icon, either from the
> > > desktop or C:/ProgramFiles, the same thing happens. However, clicking
> > > through Dial Up Networking, the connection works fine, although
> > > obviously I am unable to view any web pages, because as soon as I
> > > start IE the freeserve connection wizard starts again!!
> > >
> > > I have uninstalled DUN and TCP/IP, but the same thing happens. When I
> > > tried to make a new connection through IE properties, the PC dialled
> > > the referral number, then connected, told me it was looking for the
> > > available ISPs, then told me it failed to make a connection. I had no
> > > progress on the progress bar for this point.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any clues how to cure this snag?? All I can see now
> > > is reinstall windows. He is backing up now, for us to do at the
> > > weekend, but I would appreciate an easier option.

> > You could try going to :
> > "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and deleting the "Signup" folder

and
> > "Welcome" file.
> > See:
> > http://www.ufaq.fsnet.co.uk/ and scroll down to "Miscellaneous Freeserve
> > problems/stuck in the signup procedure"
> > Certainly worth trying before re-installing!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > harold
> >

> Thats a great link
>
> Very many thanks..I will give that a go.
>
> Matty

OK Did give it a go and I can now connect thanks very much.. BUT...

Every web address I type in gives the Page Cannot be Found screen, and
dnserror.htm at the bottom.

I tried reinstalling DUN via the control panel, windows setup, and created a
new connection, with no effect.

I also tried to go through the windows wizard for setting up a connection
but to no avail, as it says connected then where the status bar should go
across, it then says connection could not be made.

I have searched the microsoft knowedge base and found this,

and this,

Any thoughts before I tackle it again tomorrow???

Many thanks in advance

Matty