Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Printer Problem?

Printer Problem?

Steve38

A few days ago I installed a new hard drive in a friends PC, then installed
Windows ME. Everything seemed to be working fine 'till I received a phone
call from him saying he's getting a "Communication Port" error when trying
to use the printer.

It's an Epson printer connected by a USB that worked properly with his old
hard drive. Furthermore, when he hooked his old hard drive back up the
printer worked like normal, but no such luck with the new drive.

In Windows it seems as if everything is set up properly and ready to go, but
I feel there's something wrong between the hardware and the OS. Does the USB
port need to be set up in BIOS? or maybe there's a utility disk that sets it
up?

I'd appreciate any help on this one, thank you.

Kenny

Check in BIOS that USB ports are enabled, check in Printer Properties that
Windows is looking for it on the right port and check Device Manager that
there's no problem with USB controllers. Also check that the drivers were
written for ME.

--

Kenny

"Steve38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XMX3b.4206$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A few days ago I installed a new hard drive in a friends PC, then

installed
> Windows ME. Everything seemed to be working fine 'till I received a phone
> call from him saying he's getting a "Communication Port" error when trying
> to use the printer.
>
> It's an Epson printer connected by a USB that worked properly with his old
> hard drive. Furthermore, when he hooked his old hard drive back up the
> printer worked like normal, but no such luck with the new drive.
>
> In Windows it seems as if everything is set up properly and ready to go,

but
> I feel there's something wrong between the hardware and the OS. Does the

USB
> port need to be set up in BIOS? or maybe there's a utility disk that sets

it
> up?
>
> I'd appreciate any help on this one, thank you.

Ghost

In article <XMX3b.4206$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Steve38"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A few days ago I installed a new hard drive in a friends PC, then installed
> Windows ME. Everything seemed to be working fine 'till I received a phone
> call from him saying he's getting a "Communication Port" error when trying
> to use the printer.
>
> It's an Epson printer connected by a USB that worked properly with his old
> hard drive. Furthermore, when he hooked his old hard drive back up the
> printer worked like normal, but no such luck with the new drive.
>
> In Windows it seems as if everything is set up properly and ready to go, but
> I feel there's something wrong between the hardware and the OS. Does the USB
> port need to be set up in BIOS? or maybe there's a utility disk that sets it
> up?
>
> I'd appreciate any help on this one, thank you.

Remember, when installing USB devices, you MUST install the drivers FIRST,
then connect the device. If you had the device connected first, it will
generally not work.

Barry Watzman

You probably don't have the printer installed correctly for a USB port.
I'd guess that it was installed for a parallel port.