Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > So how am I installing this wrong?

So how am I installing this wrong?

Joe

Anyone here have an idea on this?

My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100 DDR
was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which included
random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error messages.
Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
damaged.

As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy. I
took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD. So
the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping, nothing
else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
motherboard.

So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
what to do...

Help?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:33:06 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone here have an idea on this?
>
>My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100 DDR
>was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which included
>random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error messages.
>Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
>were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
>damaged.
>
>As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy. I
>took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
>new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD. So
>the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping, nothing
>else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
>tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
>constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
>motherboard.
>
>So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
>slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
>being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
>computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
>what to do...
>
>Help?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Joe

Award BIOS? My old AT Socket 7 ATrend ATC-5200/K6-2/266 started that
awhile back. I narrowed it down to CPU and motherboard, tried 3 other
(status unknown, but at least one was working when recently removed
from its original system) motherboards and had the same problem. I am
going to risk $17 US for a K6-2/500 to get it up and running as it is
basically only a second system, and it will make a good system for my
kids when I finally get into GHz-land, and if that isn't it, just walk
away from it, unless I get a donor motherboard.

Have you tried to isolate it down to the module level, by removing
peripherals? FDD, HDD, CD-ROM, etc?

Tom

Linda

I think your problem is you are using PC2100 (266MHz) memory on a 133
MHz bus. This would report the memory as half (if it posts at all) The
new stick you got from best buy might have been PC2700 (the latest
greatest thing).
Read more in the manual for you board at:
http://www.amptron.com/manuals/K7-817LM/817s13a_2.pdf

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:33:06 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone here have an idea on this?
>
>My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100 DDR
>was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which included
>random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error messages.
>Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
>were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
>damaged.
>
>As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy. I
>took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
>new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD. So
>the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping, nothing
>else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
>tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
>constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
>motherboard.
>
>So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
>slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
>being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
>computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
>what to do...
>
>Help?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Joe

Joe

Actually, AMI BIOS and I just updated it. That didn't help. It might have
made it even worse though, it's rebooting a good deal so far more than
before. An interesting thing is that when I ran memory diagnostic test from
Microsoft's web site and it didn't find any errors. In addition, I let it
run for 2 days straight and it didn't reboot. Seems like that might be a
clue as to what might be wrong but I can't figure it out. I did try
isolating and that didn't seem to help. Do you have ideas on what causes
this? You really think it might be the CPU? Are there any good freeware
programs out there that could check out all the hardware more thoroughly?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Joe

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:33:06 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Anyone here have an idea on this?
> >
> >My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100

DDR
> >was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which

included
> >random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error

messages.
> >Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
> >were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
> >damaged.
> >
> >As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy.

> >took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
> >new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD.

So
> >the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping,

nothing
> >else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
> >tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
> >constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
> >motherboard.
> >
> >So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
> >slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
> >being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
> >computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
> >what to do...
> >
> >Help?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Joe
> >

> Award BIOS? My old AT Socket 7 ATrend ATC-5200/K6-2/266 started that
> awhile back. I narrowed it down to CPU and motherboard, tried 3 other
> (status unknown, but at least one was working when recently removed
> from its original system) motherboards and had the same problem. I am
> going to risk $17 US for a K6-2/500 to get it up and running as it is
> basically only a second system, and it will make a good system for my
> kids when I finally get into GHz-land, and if that isn't it, just walk
> away from it, unless I get a donor motherboard.
>
> Have you tried to isolate it down to the module level, by removing
> peripherals? FDD, HDD, CD-ROM, etc?
>
> Tom

Joe

The motherboard has 4 sockets and 2 of them support DDR 2100. It's what the
system originally shipped with and it was working fine for several months.
Then it went to being reported to half RAM followed very quickly (days) by
the random rebootings. I did check the manual but didn't find anything to
help with this.

The new memory I bought from Best Buy is PC2100, I made sure to get the same
RAM that shipped with the system. So I don't think it's that. Any other
ideas on what is causing it and how to solve it? Thanks.

"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think your problem is you are using PC2100 (266MHz) memory on a 133
> MHz bus. This would report the memory as half (if it posts at all) The
> new stick you got from best buy might have been PC2700 (the latest
> greatest thing).
> Read more in the manual for you board at:
> http://www.amptron.com/manuals/K7-817LM/817s13a_2.pdf
>

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:33:06 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Anyone here have an idea on this?
> >
> >My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100

DDR
> >was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which

included
> >random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error

messages.
> >Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
> >were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
> >damaged.
> >
> >As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best Buy.

> >took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the brand
> >new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD.

So
> >the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping,

nothing
> >else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in. I
> >tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
> >constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
> >motherboard.
> >
> >So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried both
> >slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of it
> >being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least the
> >computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss on
> >what to do...
> >
> >Help?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Joe

Joe

Hmm, the stick that with the motherboard originally was double sided PC2100
DDR. Now the new stick of PC2100 DDR I bought was single sided and it did
make me wonder. The new stick wouldn't register at all and the computer
would just constantly beep only. According to the motherboard manual, it
does accept DDR on 2 of the 4 slots. What exactly is the difference between
single sided and double sided RAM when both are described as PC2100 DDR?

Thanks.

Joe

"commanche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KGh3b.1924$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have seen instances where a computer will need RAM that is double sided,
> rather than single sided. If your motherboard requires double sided ram,
> and you plug in a single sided 256MB DIMM, it will only register as

128MB.
> You do have your motherboard book, right? Just make sure you are certain

on
> exactly what type of memory your board supports. Good luck.

Joe

The new stick of PC2100 DDR I bought from Best Buy has a lifetime warranty
and says it's "100% tested". However, the brand name is not one I have
heard of personally, called Reptron. Do you know if it's any good, could
that be my problem?

"Firebird81" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:byI3b.207$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Also, what brand of RAM are you buying? Never, ever, ever buy the 1 year
> warranty crap. Only buy lifetime warranty (Kingston and Crucial are

great).
> 1 yr. warranty ram usually doesn't even work the first day.

Joe

Checked. They're all set correctly for DDR. Other ideas or any idea why
the new stick won't even work (constant beeping)?

"Simon Telrenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Make sure your jumpers are in the right position
>
> Jumper J5~J14: SDRAM Type Selector
> The ten jumpers all consist of eight sets of 2-pin jumpers. Use these
> jumpers to select the SDRAM type for the system memory.
>
> Function
> Jumper Setting
>
> DDR DIMM socket
> Short all Pins 1-2
>
> SDRAM DIMM socket
> Open all Pins 1-2
>

> Jumper JP1: RAM Voltage Selector
> Use this 2-pin jumper to select the voltage for the installed SDRAM

module.

> Function
> Jumper Setting
>
> 3.3V for SDRAM
> Short Pins 1-2
>
> 2.5V for DDR
> Open Pins 1-2

> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> remove me to email to me
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Anyone here have an idea on this?
> >
> > My current motherboard is PCCHIPS M817LMR 1.0. My memory of 256 PC2100

> DDR
> > was being reported as 128, plus I had various other problems which

> included
> > random rebooting of the computer plus unrelated blue screen error

> messages.
> > Since the power supply and hard drive were already recently replaced and
> > were working fine, I came to the conclusion it's the RAM that's fried or
> > damaged.
> >
> > As such, I went and bought another stick of 256 PC2100 DDR from Best

Buy.
> > took out the damaged memory from it's slot and replaced it with the

brand
> > new one. I kept contact with the case during all of this to avoid ESD.

> So
> > the result? I turn the computer on and get just a constant beeping,

> nothing
> > else. I'm pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, it snaps right in.

> > tried the other memory slot and same problem, constant beeping. The
> > constant beeping is also what I get if no RAM at all is inserted in the
> > motherboard.
> >
> > So, after several tries, I reinsert the damaged RAM back in (I tried

both
> > slots for the same results) and got my original problem back: half of

it
> > being reported along with all the errors and rebooting. But at least

the
> > computer boots up! The new RAM causes it to just beep. I'm at a loss

on
> > what to do...
> >
> > Help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Joe

Joe

Thank you for your reply and help. I'll give it another shot with another
stick of RAM. Question is if I should use DDR or just PC-133 SDRAM? This
motherboard supports both and I have been trying with the DDR sockets. I
have to re-set an insane number of jumpers for it to use PC-133 SDRAM and
since it is slower, I would rather not. However, if that will end my
problems, I would do it and it would be much cheaper than buying a whole new
motherboard and system (at this point if I give up and buy something new,
I'll go most of it new since I am not sure where the problem is if it isn't
the RAM).

In checking prices, I found a good deal at CompUSA for Kingston 256 PC2700
DDR (about $50). So first question, can I use PC2700 DDR on my motherboard
when it only supports PC2100 DDR? I'd guess I wouldn't enjoy the additional
speed but would it cause any problems? Second, if you were in my shoes and
were going to give it another try, what would you do? Would you go for
another stick of DDR or go for a stick of PC-133 SDRAM? Thanks for your
help.

Joe

"Navin R. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:43:21 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> That board has the ALI Magik chipset which I have used more than a few
> times - mainly in systems built for customers who didn't want to spend
> any money. I think the boards I used were done by Amptron though, and
> they were crap. What I can tell you is that when DDR RAM was used on the
> boards I had some trouble getting them to POST. Even when they did POST
> one of the symptoms that told me there was a problem was intermittent
> reboots. Although if I used PC-133 SDRAM on the board, there were no
> problems at all. The one brand of DDR memory that seemed to work best
> was your standard Kingston Value RAM. And even then I sometimes had to
> try two or three different sticks before a board would POST. There were
> a few times when DDR modules showed only half of their capacity too but
> I really can't remember which brand(s) or if they were one or two sided.
> You should probably at least try another brand of DDR before throwing in
> the towel. BTW, never heard of Reptron. Good luck.
>
> NRJ
>
> >The new stick of PC2100 DDR I bought from Best Buy has a lifetime

warranty
> >and says it's "100% tested". However, the brand name is not one I have
> >heard of personally, called Reptron. Do you know if it's any good, could
> >that be my problem?
> >

> >"Firebird81" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:byI3b.207$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> >> Also, what brand of RAM are you buying? Never, ever, ever buy the 1

year
> >> warranty crap. Only buy lifetime warranty (Kingston and Crucial are

> >great).
> >> 1 yr. warranty ram usually doesn't even work the first day.
> >>

> "Very funny Scotty..... Now beam down my clothes!"

Joe

Thank you again for all your help, it gives me hope in trying to save this
system.

I think I'm going to have buy it locally the RAM to be insured that it is
double-sided. Should I stick with just Kingston or would there be other
brands you trust as much to work with this motherboard? Also I saw another
stick of RAM from Kingston that I wanted to make sure would be okay before
considering it for purchase. It's,

Kingston Technology HyperX 256MB PC3000 DDR DIMM
Model: KHX3000/25

Though it wouldn't work any faster than PC2100 on my system, would it also
still work without causing any problems. What does the HyperX refer to? I
haven't seen it to know if it's double sided or not but it appears it might
be available for $60. I found the previous Kingston deal from my last post
to be available online only where I could not tell if it would be double
sided. This new one might also be online only. It's difficult to find a
good price locally on Kingston. Thank you again for your continued help!

Joe
"Navin R. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:12:51 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thank you for your reply and help. I'll give it another shot with

another
> >stick of RAM. Question is if I should use DDR or just PC-133 SDRAM?

This
> >motherboard supports both and I have been trying with the DDR sockets. I
> >have to re-set an insane number of jumpers for it to use PC-133 SDRAM and
> >since it is slower, I would rather not. However, if that will end my
> >problems, I would do it and it would be much cheaper than buying a whole

new
> >motherboard and system (at this point if I give up and buy something new,
> >I'll go most of it new since I am not sure where the problem is if it

isn't
> >the RAM).

> Jumpers..... insane number...... that rings a bell. A couple of months
> ago a friend brought me a system with the same PC-Chips mobo you're
> working with. He had originally installed PC-100 SDRAM in the board but
> was trying to get a 256MB PC-2100 DDR stick to work in it with no luck -
> I believe the brand was Dane-Elec and it was one-sided. I remember
> playing around alot with the jumpers but was never able to get the board
> to POST with his RAM. I ended up trying a two-sided Kingston PC-2100 DDR
> stick and got it to work. He hasn't called me back so I assume it's
> still running.
>
> >In checking prices, I found a good deal at CompUSA for Kingston 256

PC2700
> >DDR (about $50). So first question, can I use PC2700 DDR on my

motherboard
> >when it only supports PC2100 DDR?

> Yes. But it'll only run at 2100. Newegg.com has the same RAM for $47 -

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...atalog=147&man
ufactory=1183&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1