Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Is A+ Worth Getting?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is A+ Worth Getting?

 
 
Jack Barrett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2003
Is this still considered the BEST entry level certification?
Are there any others that would be equal to A+?
I am 48 yrs old and I want to change professions.
I have spent the last week fixing friends & family computers that were
infected with the latest viruses and I am considering starting my own
business in home PC repair and networking.
Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jack Barrett
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack Barrett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2003
Don't Do It? WHY Not?
You don't give a reason not to!

Jack Barrett
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
(E-Mail Removed)



"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ROm1b.106350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this still considered the BEST entry level certification?
> Are there any others that would be equal to A+?
> I am 48 yrs old and I want to change professions.
> I have spent the last week fixing friends & family computers that were
> infected with the latest viruses and I am considering starting my own
> business in home PC repair and networking.
> Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Crazymiclo30
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2003
I agree with ghost. There is a lot of learning to do and you start out
really low in salary. Cleaning viruses off a computer and repairing all
sorts of other problems are different things. Healthcare is the way to go
right now.

--
crazymiclo
A+, Network+, MCP

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ROm1b.106350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this still considered the BEST entry level certification?
> Are there any others that would be equal to A+?
> I am 48 yrs old and I want to change professions.
> I have spent the last week fixing friends & family computers that were
> infected with the latest viruses and I am considering starting my own
> business in home PC repair and networking.
> Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
David Hough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2003


Oh! You guys are just kids. I'm 59 and got my A+ last year. It is true
, the boxes are selling at throw away prices. However, a PC may have
software and files worth many thousands on it. In some cases the
company that sold your business that $30k package five years ago is no
longer. You could use a good tech.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghost
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003

Tampa Bay area... New Port Richey, FL



In article <cap1b.106371$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jack Barrett"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey Ghost,
>
> Thanks for your thought provoking email! Makes a lot of sense.
> Where in Florida are you located?
> I have a 2nd home in Jupiter that I visit quit often.
> Best,
>
> Jack Barrett
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
>
>
> "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:user-2208030912560001@1.0.0.101...
> > In article <ROm1b.106350$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jack Barrett"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Is this still considered the BEST entry level certification?
> > > Are there any others that would be equal to A+?
> > > I am 48 yrs old and I want to change professions.
> > > I have spent the last week fixing friends & family computers that were
> > > infected with the latest viruses and I am considering starting my own
> > > business in home PC repair and networking.
> > > Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Jack Barrett
> > > http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> > > (E-Mail Removed)

> >
> >
> >
> > Jack,
> >
> > For so very many reasons I do not have time to post here, change to a
> > different profession.
> >
> > You are 48 years old and cannot start all over at the bottom rung making
> > next to nothing in salary. You will not be able to support a family on
> > what a begining tech can make.
> >
> > For anyone who cannot see the not-too-distant future, this career field is
> > approaching a slow death. Anyone who is not able to rapidly make this
> > adjustment will not survive. Computers are becoming cheaper and cheaper,
> > and it is soon going to be cheaper to replace a computer than it is to fix
> > one.
> >
> > As an example, who fixes monitors anymore? Almost nobody- it is cheaper
> > to throw it out and get a new one. Same for printers.
> >
> > In all seriousness- try another profession.
> >
> > However, if you are intent on owning a PC shop, you can buy mine. I am in
> > Florida and am willing to sell for the right money.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghost
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Hough
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oh! You guys are just kids. I'm 59 and got my A+ last year. It is true
> , the boxes are selling at throw away prices. However, a PC may have
> software and files worth many thousands on it. In some cases the
> company that sold your business that $30k package five years ago is no
> longer. You could use a good tech.




sounds good.. in theory...

Most small businesses do not have a backup plan, and will not follow a
backup plan laid out for them. In my area, most of the businesses refuse
to comply with HIPPA or the Graham, Leach, Bliley acts. This is federal
legislation (with sharp teeth) mandating certain computing practices for
certain types of businesses- and few people will comply- despite the
penalties. They refuse to believe their $60.00 linksys router will not
protect them from the world!

When their data is gone due to HDD failure or whatever, and they have no
recent bakcups, they typically get ****ed off- but not enough to offset
future disaster by installing backup tapes or RAID systems, or even
burning their data to CDs on a regular basis. And, they will *NOT* pay
for data recovery (I do data recovery). I have had many businesses cry
over all their lost data and how disastrous it is, but will not pay more
than $50 for me to do a cursory look to see if I can recover the data. If
the recovery is extensive or expensive, they will not do it.

Larger businesses are learning from 9/11 and other disasters- OFFSITE
STORAGE! They are keeping all their data in secured offsite server farms-
if something happens to their PCs, no big deal, they replace them and
download the data from the offsite locations.

This was originally just the largest companies doing this- but as prices
come down, more and more not-as-large businesses are doing this as well.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steffi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
I agree with Ghost's view.

"Crazymiclo30" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Qhp1b.81$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com>...
> I agree with ghost. There is a lot of learning to do and you start out
> really low in salary. Cleaning viruses off a computer and repairing all
> sorts of other problems are different things. Healthcare is the way to go
> right now.
>
> --
> crazymiclo
> A+, Network+, MCP
>
> "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ROm1b.106350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is this still considered the BEST entry level certification?
> > Are there any others that would be equal to A+?
> > I am 48 yrs old and I want to change professions.
> > I have spent the last week fixing friends & family computers that were
> > infected with the latest viruses and I am considering starting my own
> > business in home PC repair and networking.
> > Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Jack Barrett
> > http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghost
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2003
I have a customer right now- have been a steady customer for years...
Doctor's office with 3 locations...

I *FINALLY* have him convinced he needs to upgrade his systems- he still
has 0486 boxes running Novell Netware3 in wo of his offices- with
proprietary DOS based medical management software.

He has no concept of HIPPA requirements, although he constantly tells me
he knows all about it- and his office manager knows everything there is to
know about HIPPA, computers, medicine, and every other subject under the
sun.

I gave them a real decent price on 8 new boxes for workstations. Well,
his daughter's fiance is a wannabe computer genius (God, the world is
*FULL* of computer geniuses) who insists he can get a better deal- using
Dell Optima workstations. well, the Dell systems come top about $200 less
than my systems- but my systems are very high quality boxes. PLus, the
proprietary software requires US Robotics internal modems. Dell does not
sell USR modems. So, after purchasing new modems, and installing them,
those Dell boxes are no longer 200 less. Oh, and lets nor forget shipping
charges. The actual difference bewteen my boxes and the modified Dell
boxes comes to about $25-$50 each now. Then, thsoe Dell boxes still need
about 100MB of DL each to get the OS up to date. Mine come fuilly
updated.

This idiot is going to go with the cheaper boxes. He is saving perhaps
$200 for all 8 boxes as a package. But wait- this computer genius has to
then install all the systems and migrate all the data. This doctor is
going to spend thousands more before he is up and running- and he will
STILL not be HIPPA compliant. Oh, and he intends on using one of the
workstations as a server. This is going to be REAL good! He also sees no
reason not to use a LinkSys BEFSR71 router to control internet access. He
keeps telling me he wants the cheapest way to go. I keep telling him when
the feds catch him he will be paying ten of thousands in fines!




In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "JK_Deth"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Good points Ghost. We have a fair amount of small business and local
> government accounts and it always amazes the amount of money they end up
> spending as a result of trying to save money.
> Additionally I could lists dozens who have the ability (al least hardware
> and software wise) to backup data and don't use it.
> Most used no AV protection until after they had to pay us to clean infected
> networks, most still don't use firewalls, except for the government offices
> (and that's a recent development, mandated under the auspices of Homeland
> Security)
>
> "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:user-2208032019180001@1.0.0.101...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Hough
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Oh! You guys are just kids. I'm 59 and got my A+ last year. It is true
> > > , the boxes are selling at throw away prices. However, a PC may have
> > > software and files worth many thousands on it. In some cases the
> > > company that sold your business that $30k package five years ago is no
> > > longer. You could use a good tech.

> >
> >
> >
> > sounds good.. in theory...
> >
> > Most small businesses do not have a backup plan, and will not follow a
> > backup plan laid out for them. In my area, most of the businesses refuse
> > to comply with HIPPA or the Graham, Leach, Bliley acts. This is federal
> > legislation (with sharp teeth) mandating certain computing practices for
> > certain types of businesses- and few people will comply- despite the
> > penalties. They refuse to believe their $60.00 linksys router will not
> > protect them from the world!
> >
> > When their data is gone due to HDD failure or whatever, and they have no
> > recent bakcups, they typically get ****ed off- but not enough to offset
> > future disaster by installing backup tapes or RAID systems, or even
> > burning their data to CDs on a regular basis. And, they will *NOT* pay
> > for data recovery (I do data recovery). I have had many businesses cry
> > over all their lost data and how disastrous it is, but will not pay more
> > than $50 for me to do a cursory look to see if I can recover the data.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Clint Kennedy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2003
Wow,

What if he is as knowledgeable as you, or more so? What if the roles were
reversed? Would he still be an idiot? How much do you know about this
person? Do you think he's an idiot simply because he isn't you and you
aren't making the money? There are plenty of competent techs out there, it
isn't THAT hard.

It does suck though that you did the convincing and won't make the profit,
necessarily.

Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP

"Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:user-2508031701320001@1.0.0.101...
> I have a customer right now- have been a steady customer for years...
> Doctor's office with 3 locations...
>
> I *FINALLY* have him convinced he needs to upgrade his systems- he still
> has 0486 boxes running Novell Netware3 in wo of his offices- with
> proprietary DOS based medical management software.
>
> He has no concept of HIPPA requirements, although he constantly tells me
> he knows all about it- and his office manager knows everything there is to
> know about HIPPA, computers, medicine, and every other subject under the
> sun.
>
> I gave them a real decent price on 8 new boxes for workstations. Well,
> his daughter's fiance is a wannabe computer genius (God, the world is
> *FULL* of computer geniuses) who insists he can get a better deal- using
> Dell Optima workstations. well, the Dell systems come top about $200 less
> than my systems- but my systems are very high quality boxes. PLus, the
> proprietary software requires US Robotics internal modems. Dell does not
> sell USR modems. So, after purchasing new modems, and installing them,
> those Dell boxes are no longer 200 less. Oh, and lets nor forget shipping
> charges. The actual difference bewteen my boxes and the modified Dell
> boxes comes to about $25-$50 each now. Then, thsoe Dell boxes still need
> about 100MB of DL each to get the OS up to date. Mine come fuilly
> updated.
>
> This idiot is going to go with the cheaper boxes. He is saving perhaps
> $200 for all 8 boxes as a package. But wait- this computer genius has to
> then install all the systems and migrate all the data. This doctor is
> going to spend thousands more before he is up and running- and he will
> STILL not be HIPPA compliant. Oh, and he intends on using one of the
> workstations as a server. This is going to be REAL good! He also sees no
> reason not to use a LinkSys BEFSR71 router to control internet access. He
> keeps telling me he wants the cheapest way to go. I keep telling him when
> the feds catch him he will be paying ten of thousands in fines!
>
>
>
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "JK_Deth"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Good points Ghost. We have a fair amount of small business and local
> > government accounts and it always amazes the amount of money they end up
> > spending as a result of trying to save money.
> > Additionally I could lists dozens who have the ability (al least

hardware
> > and software wise) to backup data and don't use it.
> > Most used no AV protection until after they had to pay us to clean

infected
> > networks, most still don't use firewalls, except for the government

offices
> > (and that's a recent development, mandated under the auspices of

Homeland
> > Security)
> >
> > "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:user-2208032019180001@1.0.0.101...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Hough
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Oh! You guys are just kids. I'm 59 and got my A+ last year. It is

true
> > > > , the boxes are selling at throw away prices. However, a PC may

have
> > > > software and files worth many thousands on it. In some cases the
> > > > company that sold your business that $30k package five years ago is

no
> > > > longer. You could use a good tech.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > sounds good.. in theory...
> > >
> > > Most small businesses do not have a backup plan, and will not follow a
> > > backup plan laid out for them. In my area, most of the businesses

refuse
> > > to comply with HIPPA or the Graham, Leach, Bliley acts. This is

federal
> > > legislation (with sharp teeth) mandating certain computing practices

for
> > > certain types of businesses- and few people will comply- despite the
> > > penalties. They refuse to believe their $60.00 linksys router will

not
> > > protect them from the world!
> > >
> > > When their data is gone due to HDD failure or whatever, and they have

no
> > > recent bakcups, they typically get ****ed off- but not enough to

offset
> > > future disaster by installing backup tapes or RAID systems, or even
> > > burning their data to CDs on a regular basis. And, they will *NOT*

pay
> > > for data recovery (I do data recovery). I have had many businesses

cry
> > > over all their lost data and how disastrous it is, but will not pay

more
> > > than $50 for me to do a cursory look to see if I can recover the data.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghost
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-26-2003
Actually Clint, this guy *IS* an idiot... and he is going to cost is
future father in law a ton of money.

It seems like everybody that has ever installed a modem thinks they are a
tech.

This guy has been talking to the company that makes the proprietary
medical software that will be installed. They have been telling me just
what kind of an idiot he is. He knows nothing at all about PCs, or
netowrks, or servers, or anything else.

Probably he installed AOL once and it worked- so now he is a knowledgable tech!

So, no, if someone is knowledgable, I do not dis his/her skillset.
However, when he sells a package of goods to someone (whether that someone
is my customer or not) and that package is not up to specifications, and
he will not be able to even install that package of goods when it comes
in, then he is a total freaking idiot.

The fact that he is stealing my customer with that crap he is pushing
makes me more angry. But then, on the other end, my customer will come
back to me because this kid will not be able to complete the migration.
Then I get to charge double- because I will have to undo everything this
kid does, and then fix it all!




In article <Bow2b.19147$cj1.3214@fed1read06>, "Clint Kennedy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Wow,
>
> What if he is as knowledgeable as you, or more so? What if the roles were
> reversed? Would he still be an idiot? How much do you know about this
> person? Do you think he's an idiot simply because he isn't you and you
> aren't making the money? There are plenty of competent techs out there, it
> isn't THAT hard.
>
> It does suck though that you did the convincing and won't make the profit,
> necessarily.
>
> Clint Kennedy, BSCS, MCP
>
> "Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:user-2508031701320001@1.0.0.101...
> > I have a customer right now- have been a steady customer for years...
> > Doctor's office with 3 locations...
> >
> > I *FINALLY* have him convinced he needs to upgrade his systems- he still
> > has 0486 boxes running Novell Netware3 in wo of his offices- with
> > proprietary DOS based medical management software.
> >
> > He has no concept of HIPPA requirements, although he constantly tells me
> > he knows all about it- and his office manager knows everything there is to
> > know about HIPPA, computers, medicine, and every other subject under the
> > sun.
> >
> > I gave them a real decent price on 8 new boxes for workstations. Well,
> > his daughter's fiance is a wannabe computer genius (God, the world is
> > *FULL* of computer geniuses) who insists he can get a better deal- using
> > Dell Optima workstations. well, the Dell systems come top about $200 less
> > than my systems- but my systems are very high quality boxes. PLus, the
> > proprietary software requires US Robotics internal modems. Dell does not
> > sell USR modems. So, after purchasing new modems, and installing them,
> > those Dell boxes are no longer 200 less. Oh, and lets nor forget shipping
> > charges. The actual difference bewteen my boxes and the modified Dell
> > boxes comes to about $25-$50 each now. Then, thsoe Dell boxes still need
> > about 100MB of DL each to get the OS up to date. Mine come fuilly
> > updated.
> >
> > This idiot is going to go with the cheaper boxes. He is saving perhaps
> > $200 for all 8 boxes as a package. But wait- this computer genius has to
> > then install all the systems and migrate all the data. This doctor is
> > going to spend thousands more before he is up and running- and he will
> > STILL not be HIPPA compliant. Oh, and he intends on using one of the
> > workstations as a server. This is going to be REAL good! He also sees no
> > reason not to use a LinkSys BEFSR71 router to control internet access. He
> > keeps telling me he wants the cheapest way to go. I keep telling him when
> > the feds catch him he will be paying ten of thousands in fines!
> >
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worth buying modem router? =?Utf-8?B?QmFkQW5nbGVy?= Wireless Networking 2 07-05-2005 02:33 PM
How much is Bill worth right now? Me_and_you ASP .Net 18 02-12-2005 03:21 AM
Market worth? Nickolas Microsoft Certification 2 12-10-2004 12:06 AM
Is it worth it? Russ McKenna ASP .Net 5 12-06-2003 06:47 PM
MCSE Cert. Is it still worth it? Dominique Feteau Microsoft Certification 3 11-05-2003 08:43 PM



Advertisments