Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > uninstalling in DOS?

uninstalling in DOS?

Adam Ross

How come we can delete files and programs in DOS; but in WIN9x, we have to,
or , its best to uninstall? Can anyone shed some light on this. THANX.

David Hough

DOS doesn't have a registry

Adam Ross wrote:
> How come we can delete files and programs in DOS; but in WIN9x, we have to,
> or , its best to uninstall? Can anyone shed some light on this. THANX.

Ghost

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Adam Ross"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How come we can delete files and programs in DOS; but in WIN9x, we have to,
> or , its best to uninstall? Can anyone shed some light on this. THANX.

Fairly easy to explain....

In Windows, when you install a program, many, many, many changes are made
to the registry, as well as other files are installed to various places on
the HDD. In order to uninstall a program properly, you must remove al
those files and registry entries. That is what an uninstaller does.

In DOS, other than perhaps some entries to the autoexec.bat or config.sys
files, most of everthing is self contained inside that program's
directly. Sometimes there are some files elsewhere, but not in all cases.