Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: 80 conductor cables

Re: 80 conductor cables

JoelN

Hey Ghost

Ever thought of teaching a course for about a week or so for those who
passed A+ or know their stuff, on the more advanced stuff like the 80
conductor cables, etc.
I have built a lot of computers for myself and family, but I admit I still
needed a refresher on what your post was refering to.
I'll bet you will find a lot from this ng will come down to sunny FL
especially in the cold months. Who knows maybe you can find an employee
worthy then too??

JoelN

"Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]
> applicants for jobs. Most of the negative opinions seem to come from ppl
> not yet employed, or otherwise seeking employment. They do not feel they
> should be tested. However, as an employer, and being fed every lie in the
> book- and a few more from applicant after applicant, I want to see just
> hoe much basic knowledge you might have. If you cannot tell me some
> details of an 80 conductor cable, for example, I can cut through all the
> bullshit and know with a fair amount of certainty you have not built very
> many systems- and probably havent worked on very many either. But again,
> these are opinions- yours, mine, and others.
>
> Fact are facts- they are not disputable. I do not recall who was
> incorrectly argueing their point here- and it really does not matter- but
> for those of you out there with less than tons of experience, please take
> note. Not ethe discussion, but also note the need for this discussion.
>
> This is indsisputable:
>
> 80 conductor cables are indeed electrically different than 40 conductor
> cables. True, they still only use 40 pins (actually, only 39 pins), but
> there is an additional 40 ground wires nestled in between all the signal
> wires to avoid cross talk- which corrupts the data on the signal wires.
> All these extra ground wires are connected to ground.
>
> Now, pin 34 is an extra ground wire. On a 40 conductor cable, it is not
> used. on an 80 conductor cable the ground wire is detected by the mobo to
> tell it there is an ultra DMA cable connected to it. This is important.
>
> Pin 28 designates the master / slave relationship. So, on the master
> connector- which is the opposite end from the mobo, the wire is live (or
> connected to the mobo), and on the slave drive (the middle connector) the
> wire is open (or not connected to the mobo).
>
> True again, you can still use the old jumper method, but you might be
> doing your customer a disservice if you do- the mobo might not treat the
> cable as ATA100. You might also be doing yourself a disservice because
> you could waste your own time building or repairing a system by not
> haveing the jumpers configured correctly and then having to redo it when
> it doesnt work right.
>
> End of indisputable part (lol)
>
> Look, us old-timers do not have all the answers- nobody does. But dammit,
> consider the fact that some of use were working on computers when some of
> you were still in diapers. That being the case, just consider we might
> have something to teach, and you might not know quite everything just
> yet.
>
> There is no need for posturing- who is more right than someone else. You
> might be here to learn, some of are here to teach. If you already know
> everything, go away for we cannot teach you anything. If you know
> everything, then you cannot teach either, because you will likely be
> wrong, and not admit it.
>
> <end of rant>- time for beddy bye- I have more applicants to test in the

Ghost

Joe,

Ya know.. that *IS* an idea!!! lol