Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Tape Backup

Tape Backup

jam

Hello All,

I have a tape backup for my old Pentium 1, that i am trying to add to my
computer again. I removed it to make room for a second hard drive and now i
need it to do some backing up. I added it as a secondary to my floppy drive
and it wasnt working. I tried to change the order of the 2 components and
it would boot at all. I am guessing that the tape backup needs to be
primary....but i am not sure. It was hooked up just fine about a year ago
and now i am running into problems trying to add it again.

Help anyone?

Jed

"jam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:tbwVa.583275$(E-Mail Removed). ca:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a tape backup for my old Pentium 1, that i am trying to add to
> my computer again. I removed it to make room for a second hard drive
> and now i need it to do some backing up. I added it as a secondary to
> my floppy drive and it wasnt working. I tried to change the order of
> the 2 components and it would boot at all. I am guessing that the
> tape backup needs to be primary....but i am not sure. It was hooked
> up just fine about a year ago and now i am running into problems
> trying to add it again.
>
> Help anyone?

Did you have a special cable with a female box receptacle in your
comptuer when you took it out? The old floppy drive cable tape drives
usually came with a special cable you hooked up between your floppy drive
and the controller card or motherboard floppy interface (a short row of
dual pins on the motherboard usually located near the IDE interfaces
which are 40 pins [the floppy is usually a 34 pin interface I think]).

First, make sure you have the power connected correctly. If you plug in
the power and then turn on the computer the tape drive should indicate
some activity. If there is no activity, turn off the computer and insert
a tape into the drive all the way. Then turn on your computer again.
If it doesn't do anything, turn off the power and check the cable to make
sure you have attached it correctly.

If the cable is attached correctly, the floppy drive will be at the end
of the cable, with the tape drive in the middle. The red stripe on the
cable should be connected to pin one on the tape drive (and the floppy
but if the floppy is working you don't need to pull it out to check).
Pin one varies by the controller on the floppy but on almost every other
drive in the Universe the red stripe should be to the side of the power
receptacle.

Turn on the computer. If the drive shows activity (with the tape in the
drive the first thing the tape drive does is seek to begining of the
tape) then it is working. If it doesn't, it is probably dead.

Hope that helps.

Jed