Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Computer dials up won't open page

Computer dials up won't open page

AG

I've got a Gateway computer that dials up onto the internet and will not
open any web pages.
It runs Windows ME. Internet Explorer 6 and OE will not connect to the
server but I can ping any IP address that I know.
I've deleted the HOSTS files, I've scanned for viruses with Norton and
F-Protect, I've checked the modem by putting an external modem on the
computer. It too dials up and won't load a page.
All settings in IE are as they should be. There are no proxy servers or
oddities there.
I've run ADAWARE 6 on it and while it found a bunch of cookies there wasn't
anything major.
I've run Google searches for everything that I can think of and not come up
with anything that works.
Don't say get rid of ME. It's not my call to make the computer belongs to a
customer so I don't have any choice in the matter.
AG

AG

Thanks that worked.
AG

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First navigate to network properties, verify what is installed. You should
> only have Client for Microsoft Networks, Dialup Adapter and TCP/IP,

Primary
> Network Logon should be set to Windows Logon. Remove anything else listed.
>
> Next navigate to Dialup Networking, remove any current DUN connections.
>
> Go to Add/remove programs, click the Windows Setup tab. Double click on
> Communications and remove the check by Dialup Networking. Close up
> Add/Remove programs, but Don't Restart.
>
> Run regedit, navigate to
> HKEY_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\servic es and delete the

entries
> for Winsock and Winsock2.
>
> Now reboot.
>
> Run the Internet connection to rebuild the DUN connection. (You may get an
> error msg at the end, but its unimportant) Reboot.
>
> Everything should begin working.
>
> "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f255650$0$63782$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I've got a Gateway computer that dials up onto the internet and will not
> > open any web pages.
> > It runs Windows ME. Internet Explorer 6 and OE will not connect to the
> > server but I can ping any IP address that I know.
> > I've deleted the HOSTS files, I've scanned for viruses with Norton and
> > F-Protect, I've checked the modem by putting an external modem on the
> > computer. It too dials up and won't load a page.
> > All settings in IE are as they should be. There are no proxy servers or
> > oddities there.
> > I've run ADAWARE 6 on it and while it found a bunch of cookies there

> wasn't
> > anything major.
> > I've run Google searches for everything that I can think of and not come

> up
> > with anything that works.
> > Don't say get rid of ME. It's not my call to make the computer belongs

> > customer so I don't have any choice in the matter.
> > AG

RICHARD reason

NICE TIP THERE

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Probably not. It might cover reinstalling Dial-up networking, but the key

> that fix is the registry edit. Reinstalling Dialup networking without the
> deleting the registry entries, doesn't update the registry entry. Is some
> cases there may be problems that can be fixed by reinstalling DUN and not
> using the registry edit, but it only takes a second to delete the entries
> and it can't hurt anything, and may save you from going through the

process
> twice. I really don't recall where I first learned of that particular fix,

> think it was on MS Technet.
>

> "David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:20:58 -0400, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >First navigate to network properties, verify what is installed. You

> should
> > >only have Client for Microsoft Networks, Dialup Adapter and TCP/IP,

> Primary
> > >Network Logon should be set to Windows Logon. Remove anything else

> listed.
> > >
> > >Next navigate to Dialup Networking, remove any current DUN connections.
> > >
> > >Go to Add/remove programs, click the Windows Setup tab. Double click on
> > >Communications and remove the check by Dialup Networking. Close up
> > >Add/Remove programs, but Don't Restart.
> > >
> > >Run regedit, navigate to
> > >HKEY_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\servi ces and delete the

> entries
> > >for Winsock and Winsock2.
> > >
> > >Now reboot.
> > >
> > >Run the Internet connection to rebuild the DUN connection. (You may get

> an
> > >error msg at the end, but its unimportant) Reboot.
> > >
> > >Everything should begin working.

> > Interesting. I see it fixed his problem. Would a Network+ book cover
> > troubleshooting these sort of connection problems?
> >
> > David

modem dials, connects, NO TRAY ICON?! Carl Computer Support 1 05-27-2005 06:07 PM
WIN 98 dials up at boot Daniel Dravot Computer Support 3 08-18-2004 08:32 PM
why does this clock have two dials zaax Computer Support 7 06-25-2004 02:39 AM
801 ISDN Dials too much Pierre Cisco 3 02-12-2004 10:05 PM
Computer dials out without me! Kted Computer Security 4 10-04-2003 01:04 AM

Advertisments