Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Dlink di-784 freezing / lights stuck on

Dlink di-784 freezing / lights stuck on

markm75c@msn.com

Has anyone else run into this.. I dont have any wireless cards in my 2
pcs.. they are both hard wired into the router. I have the g band on
wireless.. disabled, while I just use the A band for a wireless gaming
adapter.

At random times the whole router freezes up.. the lights become stuck
in the solid mode. The only thing that fixes it, is to reboot the
router, only to fail a few hours later.

This is the second router I have bought, the first one did the same
thing, so I had it replaced. I've tried reloading my configuration
settins, this didnt seem to matter either.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

TW

Try upgrading the firmware

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Has anyone else run into this.. I dont have any wireless cards in my 2
> pcs.. they are both hard wired into the router. I have the g band on
> wireless.. disabled, while I just use the A band for a wireless gaming
> adapter.
>

> At random times the whole router freezes up.. the lights become stuck
> in the solid mode. The only thing that fixes it, is to reboot the
> router, only to fail a few hours later.
>

> This is the second router I have bought, the first one did the same
> thing, so I had it replaced. I've tried reloading my configuration
> settins, this didnt seem to matter either.
>
> Anyone else had this issue?
>
> Thanks

markm75c@msn.com

I've done so already.

Even a fresh reinstall of the latest firmware.

Thanks

markm75c@msn.com

Actually, I think the problem may be neighbors using wireless.. though
the only SSIDS i can see our wireless G (I am/was using wireless A).
It could be that someone has their SSID hidden and has recently gotten
and using the A band I guess.

Weird part is.. since I switched back to channel 6 (wireless turbo G),
the same port I can clearly see a neighbor or two definitely using, I
have not had the router lockup (3 days now), whereas with the A, it was

locking up nearly every day.

I'm still convinced it must be a wireless clash though.

jwh20

I had a DI-784 that did this exact thing. It was a defective unit. My
suspicion is that it had a heat problem as the case was very hot.
DLink replaced it under warranty and the new one doesn't even get warm
to the touch. It doesn't lock up either.

If your unit is still under warranty, call DLink and get an RMA for
replacement.

markm75c@msn.com

Actually.. mine was replaced already.. due to the same problem.

Since disabling all wireless on it.. it hasnt locked up (I just ran a
long network cable instead, for now).

Thanks

jwh20 wrote:
> I had a DI-784 that did this exact thing. It was a defective unit. My
> suspicion is that it had a heat problem as the case was very hot.
> DLink replaced it under warranty and the new one doesn't even get warm
> to the touch. It doesn't lock up either.
>
> If your unit is still under warranty, call DLink and get an RMA for
> replacement.

lschone lschone is offline
Junior Member

I had the same issue with this router, talked with DLInk Tech Support and they told me it was defective. I got a new router from them with the same issue!

What I was able to figure out was that WPA-PSK was the issue, this router (even with the latest firmware 2.40) continued to lock up periodically. Once I set the router to WEP 152 encryption it has not locked up since