Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > whats the difference mbps

whats the difference mbps

Wetware

Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
second?

Geoff

Wetware wrote:
> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
> second?

mega bites is how many bites you can take out of something like a burner per
second
like, some poeple can do 56 bites a sec, and some poeple can do 512 bites a
second !

Geoff

Geoff wrote:
> Wetware wrote:
>> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
>> second?

> mega bites is how many bites you can take out of something like a
> burner per second
> like, some poeple can do 56 bites a sec, and some poeple can do 512
> bites a second !

burger even
lol

David Hough

A byte is eight bits. Do the math

Wetware wrote:
> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
> second?

ride80

8 bits in a byte. Now add the word MEGA and there you go
"Wetware" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
> second?

Ken Briscoe

> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.

Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits * 8
= MBytes.

KB

"Wblane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
>
> >Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
> >second?
> >

> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:24:04 GMT, "Ken Briscoe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
>>

>Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits * 8
>= MBytes.
>
>KB

I think it was right the first time. The megabyte is bigger, so you
divide the 8 into the smaller unit to get the bigger unit.

Try it this way...is it

eggs*12=dozens

or

eggs*1/12=dozens?

Tom

>"Wblane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
>>
>> >Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
>> >second?
>> >

>> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Gareth Church

> > Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
> >

> Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits *

8
> = MBytes.

Nope, it was right originally. As you say, 8 bits is 1 byte. So you take the
number of bits and divide by 8 (ie. times by 1/. If you multiply by 8 you
are saying 8 bits = 64 bytes.

Gareth