Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > OT: URGENT, Info needed for 'toshiba' laptop

OT: URGENT, Info needed for 'toshiba' laptop

Rick Blythin

Hey guys/gals,

I need help gathering any info I can regarding a 'Toshiba' Satellite
1110-6MU laptop. I was told after the fact that this particular model is
actually made by Compal in China . I was told that the big give away is the
fact that Compal adaptors use 18/19v whereas true Toshiba units use 15. Of
course the quality difference is very noticeable. I need any links to any
info regarding Compal producing Toshiba units.

Short version of story:

I bought this laptop on February 15th '03, after about 2 months use I
noticed the display was breaking up at the top (pixels not lighting
correctly discoloured). I noticed it after dropping down to 16-bit. Took it
back to the store they shipped it to their repair centre. The tech claimed
nothing wrong increased it depth to 32-bit as it's barely noticeable on 32.
I insisted it be shipped to Toshiba for their techs to look at. It was
bounced around between tech centres for a while (never contacting me during
the process). The Tosh tech claimed it was the same as on all the units and
felt it didn't wasn't worth the $600 for the display change. Basically
implied all the units had crappy displays. The whole process has taken three
months. I received the unit today my father promptly called Toshiba and got
stuck talking to a tech and then a level 2 tech. They seemed to jump when
told it was a Compal system. My father came across a page that clearly
states Compal builds systems for Toshiba and Dell, but he can't locate the
page anymore. Had I known the Compal thing before I bought it I would never
have gotten it. I bought it believing I was getting a true Toshiba product.

Anyway we should be getting a call Thursday at some point from higher up
Toshiba management. So I need any info on Compal building Tosh. systems I
can get my hands on. Also statements from anyone willing who can back up the
fact Compal builds them would be greatly appreciated. We want to be armed
with proof when dealing with Toshiba on Thursday. To top the whole thing off
I just noticed somewhere along the line a tech broke off one of the card
slot doors!.

Any help with info or statements would be a big help.

Thanks,
Rick
--
A+, Network+

Jeffrey W. Roach

Check out the newsgroup comp.sys.laptops , look for threads being replied to
by a guy name Oscar T. Grouch, he is a Toshiba Repair Tech. He's very honest
and straightforward.

--
Jeffrey W. Roach
MCSE, MCSA, CNA, Network+, A+

"Rick Blythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XSjTa.9214$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hey guys/gals,
>
> I need help gathering any info I can regarding a 'Toshiba' Satellite
> 1110-6MU laptop. I was told after the fact that this particular model is
> actually made by Compal in China . I was told that the big give away is

the
> fact that Compal adaptors use 18/19v whereas true Toshiba units use 15. Of
> course the quality difference is very noticeable. I need any links to any
> info regarding Compal producing Toshiba units.
>
> Short version of story:
>
> I bought this laptop on February 15th '03, after about 2 months use I
> noticed the display was breaking up at the top (pixels not lighting
> correctly discoloured). I noticed it after dropping down to 16-bit. Took

it
> back to the store they shipped it to their repair centre. The tech claimed
> nothing wrong increased it depth to 32-bit as it's barely noticeable on

32.
> I insisted it be shipped to Toshiba for their techs to look at. It was
> bounced around between tech centres for a while (never contacting me

during
> the process). The Tosh tech claimed it was the same as on all the units

and
> felt it didn't wasn't worth the $600 for the display change. Basically
> implied all the units had crappy displays. The whole process has taken

three
> months. I received the unit today my father promptly called Toshiba and

got
> stuck talking to a tech and then a level 2 tech. They seemed to jump when
> told it was a Compal system. My father came across a page that clearly
> states Compal builds systems for Toshiba and Dell, but he can't locate the
> page anymore. Had I known the Compal thing before I bought it I would

never
> have gotten it. I bought it believing I was getting a true Toshiba

product.

> Anyway we should be getting a call Thursday at some point from higher up
> Toshiba management. So I need any info on Compal building Tosh. systems I
> can get my hands on. Also statements from anyone willing who can back up

the
> fact Compal builds them would be greatly appreciated. We want to be armed
> with proof when dealing with Toshiba on Thursday. To top the whole thing

off
> I just noticed somewhere along the line a tech broke off one of the card
> slot doors!.
>
> Any help with info or statements would be a big help.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
> --
> A+, Network+

Rick Blythin

Thanks Jeff,

I'll see about getting in contact thanks for the tip

"Jeffrey W. Roach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fkmTa.367$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]

> > page anymore. Had I known the Compal thing before I bought it I would

> never
> > have gotten it. I bought it believing I was getting a true Toshiba

> product.
> >
> > Anyway we should be getting a call Thursday at some point from higher up
> > Toshiba management. So I need any info on Compal building Tosh. systems

> > can get my hands on. Also statements from anyone willing who can back up

> the
> > fact Compal builds them would be greatly appreciated. We want to be

armed
> > with proof when dealing with Toshiba on Thursday. To top the whole thing

> off
> > I just noticed somewhere along the line a tech broke off one of the card
> > slot doors!.
> >
> > Any help with info or statements would be a big help.

John D.

Lots of references to Compal building Toshibas are to be found in a
newgroups (Google Groups) search for the keywords "compal toshiba."

And there is some stuff on the web (www.google.com):

http://www.taiwanheadlines.gov.tw/20...0000829b7.html

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/arch.../21/0000078509

http://www.primasia.com/spotlights/O...Files/1011.htm

http://www.cens.com/cens/report/elec...s/news-19.html

....and there are probably other sites/articles, too.

Good luck,

John D.

"Rick Blythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<XSjTa.9214$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> Hey guys/gals,
>
> I need help gathering any info I can regarding a 'Toshiba' Satellite
> 1110-6MU laptop. I was told after the fact that this particular model is
> actually made by Compal in China . I was told that the big give away is the
> fact that Compal adaptors use 18/19v whereas true Toshiba units use 15. Of
> course the quality difference is very noticeable. I need any links to any
> info regarding Compal producing Toshiba units.
>
> Short version of story:
>
> I bought this laptop on February 15th '03, after about 2 months use I
> noticed the display was breaking up at the top (pixels not lighting
> correctly discoloured). I noticed it after dropping down to 16-bit. Took it
> back to the store they shipped it to their repair centre. The tech claimed
> nothing wrong increased it depth to 32-bit as it's barely noticeable on 32.
> I insisted it be shipped to Toshiba for their techs to look at. It was
> bounced around between tech centres for a while (never contacting me during
> the process). The Tosh tech claimed it was the same as on all the units and
> felt it didn't wasn't worth the $600 for the display change. Basically
> implied all the units had crappy displays. The whole process has taken three
> months. I received the unit today my father promptly called Toshiba and got
> stuck talking to a tech and then a level 2 tech. They seemed to jump when
> told it was a Compal system. My father came across a page that clearly
> states Compal builds systems for Toshiba and Dell, but he can't locate the
> page anymore. Had I known the Compal thing before I bought it I would never
> have gotten it. I bought it believing I was getting a true Toshiba product.
>
> Anyway we should be getting a call Thursday at some point from higher up
> Toshiba management. So I need any info on Compal building Tosh. systems I
> can get my hands on. Also statements from anyone willing who can back up the
> fact Compal builds them would be greatly appreciated. We want to be armed
> with proof when dealing with Toshiba on Thursday. To top the whole thing off
> I just noticed somewhere along the line a tech broke off one of the card
> slot doors!.
>
> Any help with info or statements would be a big help.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Rick Blythin

Thanks for the links John, I normally use webferret for searching, I'll
check out Google.

Cheers,
Rick
--
A+, Network+

"John D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> [...]

> > page anymore. Had I known the Compal thing before I bought it I would

never
> > have gotten it. I bought it believing I was getting a true Toshiba

product.

> > Anyway we should be getting a call Thursday at some point from higher up
> > Toshiba management. So I need any info on Compal building Tosh. systems

> > can get my hands on. Also statements from anyone willing who can back up

the
> > fact Compal builds them would be greatly appreciated. We want to be

armed
> > with proof when dealing with Toshiba on Thursday. To top the whole thing

off
> > I just noticed somewhere along the line a tech broke off one of the card
> > slot doors!.
> >
> > Any help with info or statements would be a big help.

John D.

Okay...good luck.

At least from your post I have learned not to buy a Compal-made
Toshiba...and maybe even not a Toshiba at all!

John D.