Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Compaq problem

Compaq problem

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com

I have a Compaq Presario 2256, Win 98
and it does not see the CDROM. I checked
the CDROM, 40 pin cable, and the bios settings.
Now the device manager tells me there's a problem
with both IDE contollers. I have tried to update the drivers
but the OS tells me there OK. Any suggestions? Could this be
a Mobo issue?
Gary

Ghost

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I have a Compaq Presario 2256, Win 98
> and it does not see the CDROM. I checked
> the CDROM, 40 pin cable, and the bios settings.
> Now the device manager tells me there's a problem
> with both IDE contollers. I have tried to update the drivers
> but the OS tells me there OK. Any suggestions? Could this be
> a Mobo issue?
> Gary

First, boot to a Win98 floppy (make sure it has the CROM drivers n it) and
see if it is seen then. That will help you narrow down hardware vs
software.

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com

Thanks for your help Larry. What I discovered was there was a boot
sector virus causing all the amnesia in the computer. I should have
figured something was strange with this customers machine when the
Norton AV disc was in the CDROM. Once I erradicated the virus
everything was cool.

Thanks again,
Gary