Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Compaq Desktop "White Screen"

Compaq Desktop "White Screen"

rebounder

A relative has a two year old Compaq (AMD 1.2 ghz processor & Nvidia video
card). With both Windows ME and now with his newly loaded Windows XP Pro the
screen frequently turns white. He then must reboot the computer and start
over. Anyone have any answers why?

An additional problem is that when starting up again XP does not allow the
user to bypass scanning all the files for errors. I know this can be a good
thing but how can he get the option to hit a key to keep loading.

Thanks.

Hydroman

I don't know if this is relevant, but I once saw a monitor that would
eventually turn
all white after the monitor warms up. All you could see was horizontal
lines on
the screen. If you have that problem then that sounds like a bad monitor.
Either way sounds like you may need a new monitor. Whatever you do don't
try to repair the monitor because of the capacitor that in the monitor.
That will
hold a charge for a very long time.

--
Larry
A+ and MCP certified

rebounder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsfxRa.95734$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> A relative has a two year old Compaq (AMD 1.2 ghz processor & Nvidia video
> card). With both Windows ME and now with his newly loaded Windows XP Pro

the
> screen frequently turns white. He then must reboot the computer and start
> over. Anyone have any answers why?
>
> An additional problem is that when starting up again XP does not allow the
> user to bypass scanning all the files for errors. I know this can be a

good
> thing but how can he get the option to hit a key to keep loading.
>
> Thanks.

rebounder

Thanks Hydroman. The monnitor is only 2 years old, however I will look into
it.

"Hydroman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know if this is relevant, but I once saw a monitor that would
> eventually turn
> all white after the monitor warms up. All you could see was horizontal
> lines on
> the screen. If you have that problem then that sounds like a bad monitor.
> Either way sounds like you may need a new monitor. Whatever you do don't
> try to repair the monitor because of the capacitor that in the monitor.
> That will
> hold a charge for a very long time.
>
> --
> Larry
> (E-Mail Removed)
> A+ and MCP certified
>
> rebounder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsfxRa.95734$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> > A relative has a two year old Compaq (AMD 1.2 ghz processor & Nvidia

video
> > card). With both Windows ME and now with his newly loaded Windows XP Pro

> the
> > screen frequently turns white. He then must reboot the computer and

start
> > over. Anyone have any answers why?
> >
> > An additional problem is that when starting up again XP does not allow

the
> > user to bypass scanning all the files for errors. I know this can be a

> good
> > thing but how can he get the option to hit a key to keep loading.
> >
> > Thanks.

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:10:44 GMT, "rebounder" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A relative has a two year old Compaq (AMD 1.2 ghz processor & Nvidia video
>card). With both Windows ME and now with his newly loaded Windows XP Pro the
>screen frequently turns white. He then must reboot the computer and start
>over. Anyone have any answers why?
>
>An additional problem is that when starting up again XP does not allow the
>user to bypass scanning all the files for errors. I know this can be a good
>thing but how can he get the option to hit a key to keep loading.
>
>Thanks.

As another poster mentioned, if you are getting horizontal retrace
lines with the white screen it could be a serious problem, perhaps
even a problem with the CRT itself. What happens if you just turn the
monitor off alone; will it correct itself then?

Tom