Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: comptia naming conventions.

Re: comptia naming conventions.

Tony Sivori

walterbyrd wrote:
> You can not call a news group "A+" is
> has to be called "a-plus."

Not true. This newsgroup could have been alt.certification.a+ although the
person sending the control probably wasn't aware of that. One such example
is comp.lang.c++.

> You never know what somebody will call the
> designation: "A+", "a-plus", "A Plus" etc. This makes searching for
> books, searching for jobs, searching for forums, etc. much more
> difficult than it needs to be. When I put "security+" in the
> monster.com search engine, monster.com sees it as just "security".
>
> I think CompTIA does a good job with it's certifications. But, please
> change the names.

My question was, and still is, why "A+"? What does the "A" reference? With
Network +, Security +, Linux +, and Server + in all those cases the subject
matter of the certification is obvious. But the A in A+ stands for nothing
obvious. Seems to me that maybe something like PC+ would have been a better
name for the certification.

--
Tony Sivori

walterbyrd

Notice you call the certs: "Network +, Security +, Linux +, and Server
+ "

Others may say Network+, Security+, etc. Still others may
"Network-Plus", or "Network Plus" or something else. Are you begining
to see my point?

I don't know about you, but I would rather have something like PMP
after my name, as opposed to "Project+." Doctors, Lawyers,
Accountants, use these few letter designations like MD, CPA - it looks
professional. To me "Project+" just doesn't look nearly as good. Also
I don't think it sounds as good. I would prefer to say: "I'm a PMP" as
opposed to: "I have a Project+ certification." And to say say: "I have
an A+ certification" is not descriptive at all.

"Tony Sivori" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bdlvja$ua0mq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> walterbyrd wrote:
> > You can not call a news group "A+" is
> > has to be called "a-plus."

> Not true. This newsgroup could have been alt.certification.a+ although the
> person sending the control probably wasn't aware of that. One such example
> is comp.lang.c++.
>
> > You never know what somebody will call the
> > designation: "A+", "a-plus", "A Plus" etc. This makes searching for
> > books, searching for jobs, searching for forums, etc. much more
> > difficult than it needs to be. When I put "security+" in the
> > monster.com search engine, monster.com sees it as just "security".
> >
> > I think CompTIA does a good job with it's certifications. But, please
> > change the names.

> My question was, and still is, why "A+"? What does the "A" reference? With
> Network +, Security +, Linux +, and Server + in all those cases the subject
> matter of the certification is obvious. But the A in A+ stands for nothing
> obvious. Seems to me that maybe something like PC+ would have been a better
> name for the certification.

RussS

I guess IMHO that one can not really consider A+, Network+, MCP, MCSE, CCNP,
CISSP or any other certification as an equivalent to those most important
ones MD. Sure they are very relevent to our profession and are something we
may be proud of, however when you consider the time and effort studying for
MCSE (or whatever) it hardly compares to what a doctor has to put in. I
have met a few techies who are very full of their own self importance and
have business cards whit every letter in the alphabet on them, but the one
who looked, acted and presented himself the most professional just had the
barest minimum.

Look at it this way - it is Comptias game and they play things the way they
see it - right or wrong.

--
RussS
MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+

http://www.techexams.net/

CJ

> who looked, acted and presented himself the most professional just had the
> barest minimum.

Reminds me of what a professor once told me. If you hold a PhD there is no
need to hang a Bachelor's or Master's on your wall. The PhD say it all!
In other words, most of the time, just use the credential that is most
applicable and highest obtained. But, then again, I do have my BS degree on
my wall at home. I don't have to worry about Master's or PhD.. lol

I do have my A+ and Network + now, and hope to finish my MCSA by the end of
the month. My goal is to obtain the MCSE. When I finish I'll only put MCSE
on my card or resume. I suppose if I chose Unix or Linux to further my
career I'd be inclined to use those on my resume.

Just my lousy 2 cents worth..

Carolina

RussS

Snap

Doesn't hurt to list them all here, as they can be helpful to someone
seeking advice, but on a business card the barest minumum. Same on a
resume - I have seen all sorts of logos and crap there, but as an employer I
look at these hugly multi-coloured CVs and think ... hmmmm, tacky.
Then again, if you have MCSE, CISSP and say RHCE and you are a consultant in
security, then they are all applicable and would be valid. In that case
though I wouldn't even bother listing Comptia certs.

--
RussS
MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+

http://www.techexams.net/

CJ

> Doesn't hurt to list them all here, as they can be helpful to someone
> seeking advice, but on a business card the barest

Well stated and good point!! I have asked persons of this ng questions that
had certain cert's that I was interested in attached to their name.

Carolina

walterbyrd

I guess I'm just have a hard time making myself understood.

> I guess IMHO that one can not really consider A+, Network+, MCP, MCSE, CCNP,
> CISSP or any other certification as an equivalent to those most important
> ones MD.

I never said they were. That was never my point. I am saying that a
few letters after your name is a convention that has been used by
professionals for year. It looks more professional.

> Look at it this way - it is Comptias game and they play things the way they
> see it - right or wrong.

My point was/is that CompTIA could provide a better service, by making
some very simple changes. If enough people asked for those changes,
I'm sure comptia would make those changes. "A+" is not descriptive.
The "+" is a pain for search engines, and a varity of other reasons
which I have already spelled out.

Pikoro

Apparently you feel misunderstood when people don't agree with you.
You feel that to "look professional" you need a designation like accountants
have.
Not so, recruiters (the only people who have importance in this context)
know perfectly well what A+ means.
Who cares if others don't?
Do you want recruiters to learn all over again what they have learnt over
the years just because you feel it doesn't "look professional"?
You tell them what you think "looks professional" and see if you get hired.
Carpe Cervesis! (Grab a beer!) - Pikorus

Post Scriptum: A+ is great on search engines, try it.

"walterbyrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I guess I'm just have a hard time making myself understood.
>
> > I guess IMHO that one can not really consider A+, Network+, MCP, MCSE,

CCNP,
> > CISSP or any other certification as an equivalent to those most

important
> > ones MD.

> I never said they were. That was never my point. I am saying that a
> few letters after your name is a convention that has been used by
> professionals for year. It looks more professional.
>
> > Look at it this way - it is Comptias game and they play things the way

they
> > see it - right or wrong.

> My point was/is that CompTIA could provide a better service, by making
> some very simple changes. If enough people asked for those changes,
> I'm sure comptia would make those changes. "A+" is not descriptive.
> The "+" is a pain for search engines, and a varity of other reasons
> which I have already spelled out.

Gavrilo

> > My point was/is that CompTIA could provide a better service, by making
> > some very simple changes. If enough people asked for those changes,
> > I'm sure comptia would make those changes. "A+" is not descriptive.
> > The "+" is a pain for search engines, and a varity of other reasons
> > which I have already spelled out.

So, CompTIA certs are Vendor free. How about Certified Universal
Network Technician.............. But on the other hand maybe you
would'nt want those initials after your name.

Gavrilo