Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: whats happening to the IT industry?

Re: whats happening to the IT industry?

just a gigalo

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)atSPAM (Developwebsites) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> so this new 18yr old kid is hired by my dept.
> he is a freshman, never had any CIS major courses,
> no A+ or any cert, no previous experience, and yet he was hired. why?
> is it because he is young, fresh, and a minority?
> is it because he is cheap? is it because he is connected?
> who cares, the fact is that my co-workers and I are stuck with him
> and have to teach him everything. why us not his professors?
> I am getting a feeling that some people who in fact did grad from
> college, and do have their A+ network+ or M$ certs are getting the
> shaft pretty soon.
>
> We are seeing the IT job market erradicated by cheap Indian workers,
> and now factories are being built in China and Russia. Doomsday is
> indeed coming soon for America's IT workers.

> remove *batSPAM* to e-mail me

Sounds almost bitter. It's a dark age, but the light will soon shine
again. Remember--your company couldn't afford to hire such a "greenhorn"
if he didn't have mentors such as yourself to steer him.

Could be a quota, could be he's got connections. Could be that they're
taking a chance on a kid that shows potential; don't be too quick to
judge--we were all there...

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I've always lived by Mark Twains
adage: "I never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Techie

I just took over an admin job from one of these newbies and the place is a
total mess, its probably going to take me a month to sort everything out in
the 10 sites I am responsible for. I wish companies were more selective in
who they hire, it would make things so much easier on everyone.

--
Techie
A+, Network+, MCP, MCNGP #21

"just a gigalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93A6A0D04B2EAnospamnospamcom@24.28.95.158. ..
> (E-Mail Removed)atSPAM (Developwebsites) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > so this new 18yr old kid is hired by my dept.
> > he is a freshman, never had any CIS major courses,
> > no A+ or any cert, no previous experience, and yet he was hired. why?
> > is it because he is young, fresh, and a minority?
> > is it because he is cheap? is it because he is connected?
> > who cares, the fact is that my co-workers and I are stuck with him
> > and have to teach him everything. why us not his professors?
> > I am getting a feeling that some people who in fact did grad from
> > college, and do have their A+ network+ or M$ certs are getting the
> > shaft pretty soon.
> >
> > We are seeing the IT job market erradicated by cheap Indian workers,
> > and now factories are being built in China and Russia. Doomsday is
> > indeed coming soon for America's IT workers.

> > remove *batSPAM* to e-mail me
> >

> Sounds almost bitter. It's a dark age, but the light will soon shine
> again. Remember--your company couldn't afford to hire such a "greenhorn"
> if he didn't have mentors such as yourself to steer him.
>
> Could be a quota, could be he's got connections. Could be that they're
> taking a chance on a kid that shows potential; don't be too quick to
> judge--we were all there...
>
> Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I've always lived by Mark Twains
> adage: "I never let my schooling interfere with my education."

walterbyrd

I have worked in IT for 24 years. I have degrees in math, computer
science, and business.

From my experience IT has always been like this. Employers just don't
understand what they are looking for. Often, academians, just don't
have a clue about the real world.

For example, academic types often write articles about how they
alarmed that nobody is studying for the BSCS anymore. Did they ever
notice that the BCSC is almost never a requirement for a computer job?

I can't tell you the number of times I have worked under the
directions of people far less qualified than I. When I worked as
developer, more than a few times, I was asked to take over for some
self-educated programmer who was considered some great genius. I would
look at his code and just groan - no clue about structured development
practices.

Steven Heller

When will companies realize that code should be reviewed by someone else
(2nd person) before it get used?