Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > token ring cards

token ring cards

Newt

Can I use a 100/16/4 token ring card with rj45,to connect to my other pc
which has a 3com 10/100 card.
Just the 2 pc's . I have cat5 x-over cable already.
TIA
Newt

Mike Meyers

No. Your 3COM 10/100 card is actually an Ethernet 10BASETX network card. It
may look the same as your token ring card - it will even use the same
cabling - but they are actually very different.

Mike

"Newt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h_5Ka.609$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I use a 100/16/4 token ring card with rj45,to connect to my other pc
> which has a 3com 10/100 card.
> Just the 2 pc's . I have cat5 x-over cable already.
> TIA
> Newt

Newt

Cheers Mike,

I knew abouth the 3com being 10basetx but was curious as to whether I could
mix them.

What if I were to use 2 token ring cards, what then?

I do have another 3com 10/100 card (3c509b combo ISA.) but have problems
with it.

Newt

> No. Your 3COM 10/100 card is actually an Ethernet 10BASETX network card.

It
> may look the same as your token ring card - it will even use the same
> cabling - but they are actually very different.
>
> Mike
>
> "Newt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h_5Ka.609$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can I use a 100/16/4 token ring card with rj45,to connect to my other pc
> > which has a 3com 10/100 card.
> > Just the 2 pc's . I have cat5 x-over cable already.
> > TIA
> > Newt

Newt

"Netwerkz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi - see below
>
> "Newt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EE6Ka.1200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Cheers Mike,
> >
> > I knew abouth the 3com being 10basetx but was curious as to whether I

> could
> > mix them.
> >
> > What if I were to use 2 token ring cards, what then?
> >
> > I do have another 3com 10/100 card (3c509b combo ISA.) but have

problems
> > with it.
> >
> > Newt
> >
> > > No. Your 3COM 10/100 card is actually an Ethernet 10BASETX network

card.
> > It
> > > may look the same as your token ring card - it will even use the same
> > > cabling - but they are actually very different.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > "Newt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:h_5Ka.609$(E-Mail Removed)...

other
> pc

> Token Ring works different than ethernet and using a crossover cable alone
> between two PCs with token-ring cards in them won't work.
>
> You need a device (hub/mau) to provide the "token" for your two PCs with
> token-ring cards to work.
>
> You can buy a token-ring hub off ebay cheap - IBM 8226's are the smallest

> have seen.
> You could also get a bridge or configure a router to bridge between
> token/ether -
> like a cisco 2513 or BayNetworks AN/ASN.
>
> You are better off just getting another working ethernet card and using

your
> crossover
> cable though.

Thx, I thought as much. the other ethernet card isny working and as I was
given these two TokenRing cards, Well it was worth a try. I have learned
something tho, which is good.
Back to the old way then............

RING RING RING Dashing through the wind, In a four dog dragged sleigh. Oh the street we go, laughing all the way Mathematician C++ 0 12-24-2006 02:26 PM
Token Ring Routers JWC Cisco 0 12-05-2003 11:46 PM
Token ring pinout Walter Roberson Cisco 5 11-17-2003 01:09 PM
Token Ring Translation Roger Cisco 1 10-20-2003 03:47 PM
Ring ring....ring ring.... Slumpy Computer Support 1 07-06-2003 10:57 PM

Advertisments