Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Network Load Balance problem

Network Load Balance problem

Paul Smith

Network Load Balance problem

Hi all

I am trying to use load balancing between two windows 2003 servers and a
windows xp client and all three are running IIS. The following is the
config:

SERVER-A : 192.168.2.1 - leasing DHCP IP from 192.168.2.5-100
SERVER-B : 192.168.2.2
PC-A : 192.168.2.6

I created a cluster with the IP 192.168.3.1 but I am having problems to add
the hosts to it. I also created a A record in DNS for the cluster. This is a
screenshot of the problem :
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs434&d=08513&...ture282281.jpg

Can anyone illuminate me as to what might be the problem?

thanks!

Paul Smith

sorry IP of cluster set is 192.168.2.3, which is the same subnet of the
others...

"Paul Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Network Load Balance problem
>
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to use load balancing between two windows 2003 servers and a
> windows xp client and all three are running IIS. The following is the
> config:
>
> SERVER-A : 192.168.2.1 - leasing DHCP IP from 192.168.2.5-100
> SERVER-B : 192.168.2.2
> PC-A : 192.168.2.6
>
> I created a cluster with the IP 192.168.3.1 but I am having problems to
> add the hosts to it. I also created a A record in DNS for the cluster.
> This is a screenshot of the problem :
> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs434&d=08513&...ture282281.jpg
>
> Can anyone illuminate me as to what might be the problem?
>
> thanks!

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Paul Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Network Load Balance problem
>
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to use load balancing between two windows 2003 servers and a
> windows xp client and all three are running IIS.

> SERVER-A : 192.168.2.1 - leasing DHCP IP from 192.168.2.5-100
> SERVER-B : 192.168.2.2
> PC-A : 192.168.2.6

1. Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP run different versions of IIS. Even if
you were to get NLB working, I suspect the differences between IIS 6.0 and
IIS 5.1 are going to seriously impact consistent and reliable functionality
of anything except the simplest of websites.

2. What are you using as training guidance that would suggest creating an
NLB cluster using a desktop operating system?

3. How did you install/enable Network Load Balancing on the Windows XP
system?

4. Have you considered that trying to put a DHCP-addressed system in an NLB
cluster simply isn't going to work? (If Server-A is serving up addresses
starting at 192.168.2.5, then PC-A has a DHCP-issued address.)

5. Might I suggest (based on the image provided) that first you get NLB
configured on the *local* machine, then add the other server, and *then*
consider (not) adding the XP system (with a STATIC address, not a
DHCP-issued address).

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Paul Smith

hi again
thanks for your help i managed to get the NLB to work. i set it on my w2k3
servers on IIS and is working perfectly.
only problem is that when i close the NLB manager it is loosing all
configuration, and when i reopen it again it says something on unicast
etc...my hosts are all set as multicast and NLB protocol is bound on all
servers so i dont know exactly what problem is.
i had to export host list and had to import it and leave the manager open
all the time...
is there a way how i can close the nlb manager without loosing all config?
thanks a million!!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...