Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCDST as MCSA elective

MCDST as MCSA elective

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Steve Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That statement is partially correct. You can upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:
> Enterprise Technician with one exam. You also can achieve the MCITP
> certification by taking two exams, 70-620 and 70-622. Having your MCDST is
> not a requirement.

However, on the other hand, having earned the MCITP directly, one has
completed the 70-620, which is an MCSA elective.

Ergo, it's essentially a true statement that the MCITP: ET will fulfill the
necessary requirements for the MCSA elective (provided that the candidate
also completes the 70-270 to meet their desktop requirements).

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Montreal_MCT

Actually one need not write 70-620 to get the MCITP: EST. You can take the
70-621, an upgrade exam from MCDST.

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That statement is partially correct. You can upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:
>> Enterprise Technician with one exam. You also can achieve the MCITP
>> certification by taking two exams, 70-620 and 70-622. Having your MCDST
>> is not a requirement.

> However, on the other hand, having earned the MCITP directly, one has
> completed the 70-620, which is an MCSA elective.
>
> Ergo, it's essentially a true statement that the MCITP: ET will fulfill
> the necessary requirements for the MCSA elective (provided that the
> candidate also completes the 70-270 to meet their desktop requirements).

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually one need not write 70-620 to get the MCITP: EST. You can take
> the 70-621, an upgrade exam from MCDST.

Which brings us full circle...

The original question was whether the MCITP:EST could be used as an MCSA
elective since the MCDST could.

"IT Techie" replied that since you need the MCDST to get the MCITP:EST (a
partially incorrect assumption), then yes you could use the MCITP:EST as the
elective (which was based on the presumption that one had the MCDST and had
taken the -621 to upgrade to the MCITP:EST).

Steve then replied back, noting the partially correct assumption concerning
the acquisition of the MCITP:EST by upgrade, and pointed out that one could
also have obtained the MCITP:EST by taking the two core exams (70-620 and
70-622), which would not then contain the MCDST, and ostensibly not qualify
as an elective.

To which I pointed out, the MCITP:EST, then containing the 70-620, still
counted, as the 70-620 is an elective for the MCSA.

So, to consolidate all of the points:

The MCDST is an eligible elective for the MCSA -- by direct allocation.

The MCITP:EST is functionally an elective for the MCSA, by one of two means:
[a] The MCITP:EST was upgraded from MCDST, and thus qualifies by virtue
of the MCDST being earned,or
[b] The MCITP:EST was earned directly, and thus qualifies by virtue of
having passed the 70-620 =provided= that the candidate has completed the
70-270 (Windows XP) as the desktop requirement.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Montreal_MCT

Right you are I hadn't thought of it that way -M

--
Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Actually one need not write 70-620 to get the MCITP: EST. You can take
>> the 70-621, an upgrade exam from MCDST.

> Which brings us full circle...
>
> The original question was whether the MCITP:EST could be used as an MCSA
> elective since the MCDST could.
>
> "IT Techie" replied that since you need the MCDST to get the MCITP:EST (a
> partially incorrect assumption), then yes you could use the MCITP:EST as
> the elective (which was based on the presumption that one had the MCDST
> and had taken the -621 to upgrade to the MCITP:EST).
>
> Steve then replied back, noting the partially correct assumption
> concerning the acquisition of the MCITP:EST by upgrade, and pointed out
> that one could also have obtained the MCITP:EST by taking the two core
> exams (70-620 and 70-622), which would not then contain the MCDST, and
> ostensibly not qualify as an elective.
>
> To which I pointed out, the MCITP:EST, then containing the 70-620, still
> counted, as the 70-620 is an elective for the MCSA.
>
> So, to consolidate all of the points:
>
> The MCDST is an eligible elective for the MCSA -- by direct allocation.
>
> The MCITP:EST is functionally an elective for the MCSA, by one of two
> means:
> [a] The MCITP:EST was upgraded from MCDST, and thus qualifies by virtue
> of the MCDST being earned,or
> [b] The MCITP:EST was earned directly, and thus qualifies by virtue of
> having passed the 70-620 =provided= that the candidate has completed the
> 70-270 (Windows XP) as the desktop requirement.

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Steve Davis

You are correct. I was trying to see if I could circumvent an additional
test. I have completed the 70-620 and if I could have used MCITP: ET for the
elective, I could knocked out both the MCITP and the elective for MCSA with
the 70-622. But since that's not the case...I'll need to take 70-270.

Steve Davis

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That statement is partially correct. You can upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:
>> Enterprise Technician with one exam. You also can achieve the MCITP
>> certification by taking two exams, 70-620 and 70-622. Having your MCDST
>> is not a requirement.

> However, on the other hand, having earned the MCITP directly, one has
> completed the 70-620, which is an MCSA elective.
>
> Ergo, it's essentially a true statement that the MCITP: ET will fulfill
> the necessary requirements for the MCSA elective (provided that the
> candidate also completes the 70-270 to meet their desktop requirements).

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Steve Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have completed the 70-620 and if I could have used MCITP: ET for the
> elective, I could knocked out both the MCITP and the elective for MCSA
> with the 70-622. But since that's not the case...I'll need to take 70-270.

Or another elective, using the 70-620 as the desktop requirement.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

MCDST elective MCSA? Neil MCDST 3 10-11-2007 05:49 PM
Does my MCDST cert. qualify for an MCSE elective? Aaron Rykhus MCSE 8 11-17-2006 02:21 AM
MCDST Accreditation for MCSA Elective minime MCSA 3 10-23-2004 11:29 AM
MCDST as MCSA elective Chris MCDST 5 02-03-2004 02:04 PM
MCDST as MCSA elective Chris MCSA 2 02-02-2004 04:37 PM

Advertisments