Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless speed difference

wireless speed difference

=?Utf-8?B?dG9t?=

hi
i have cable internet and i decided to switch from wired to wireless
internet becasue i didnt like all the wires going eveywhere
i used to have 4to5Mb internet but after i switched to wireless i now have
1.5Mb but my upload speed si still the same
so plz i wanna know how to fix this

Frankster

Wireless technology is slower than Ethernet technology.

Are you sure your wireless connection is connecting at faster than 1.5M?
Wireless connections will fall back to quite slow connections if the signal
quality is very low.

-Frank

"tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
> i have cable internet and i decided to switch from wired to wireless
> internet becasue i didnt like all the wires going eveywhere
> i used to have 4to5Mb internet but after i switched to wireless i now have
> 1.5Mb but my upload speed si still the same
> so plz i wanna know how to fix this

=?Utf-8?B?dG9t?=

yes it says that the speed is 11Mb and that the signal is excellent

"Frankster" wrote:

> Wireless technology is slower than Ethernet technology.
>
> Are you sure your wireless connection is connecting at faster than 1.5M?
> Wireless connections will fall back to quite slow connections if the signal
> quality is very low.
>
> -Frank
>
> "tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi
> > i have cable internet and i decided to switch from wired to wireless
> > internet becasue i didnt like all the wires going eveywhere
> > i used to have 4to5Mb internet but after i switched to wireless i now have
> > 1.5Mb but my upload speed si still the same
> > so plz i wanna know how to fix this

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
If your Wireless provides only 1.5Mb/sec. that would be your Internet Speed as well.

First try the Wireless Client sitting near the source to make sure that you Wireless
Speed is in the correct range. If you moving away and the "Speed" drops it is the way
Wireless is working and you would need to invest in more hardware to boost your Wireless
range.

Frame of reference for Speed - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html

Boosting Wireless range.

Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes it says that the speed is 11Mb and that the signal is excellent
>
> "Frankster" wrote:
>
> > Wireless technology is slower than Ethernet technology.
> >
> > Are you sure your wireless connection is connecting at faster than 1.5M?
> > Wireless connections will fall back to quite slow connections if the signal
> > quality is very low.
> >
> > -Frank
> >
> > "tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hi
> > > i have cable internet and i decided to switch from wired to wireless
> > > internet becasue i didnt like all the wires going eveywhere
> > > i used to have 4to5Mb internet but after i switched to wireless i now have
> > > 1.5Mb but my upload speed si still the same
> > > so plz i wanna know how to fix this

=?Utf-8?B?dG9t?=

ok i have Wireless 802.11b
and on the link u posted it yields from 4-8Mb/sec.
i tried wat you proposed by putting it close then away it still hte sma
ething it stayed constant at about 1.3-1.5Mb
the cable company says that its a problem with the router configuration
the router company says its a problem with either the modem or the cable
signal
help plz

"Jack (MVP)" wrote:

> Hi
> If your Wireless provides only 1.5Mb/sec. that would be your Internet Speed as well.
>
> First try the Wireless Client sitting near the source to make sure that you Wireless
> Speed is in the correct range. If you moving away and the "Speed" drops it is the way
> Wireless is working and you would need to invest in more hardware to boost your Wireless
> range.
>
> Frame of reference for Speed - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
>
> Boosting Wireless range.
>
> Extending Distance: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
>
> Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>
> Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > yes it says that the speed is 11Mb and that the signal is excellent
> >
> > "Frankster" wrote:
> >
> > > Wireless technology is slower than Ethernet technology.
> > >
> > > Are you sure your wireless connection is connecting at faster than 1.5M?
> > > Wireless connections will fall back to quite slow connections if the signal
> > > quality is very low.
> > >
> > > -Frank
> > >
> > > "tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

To find what worng is you need a frame of reference.

I always suggest to people to keep at least one computer on Wire.

If the a wired computer on the same system yields 4Mb/sec. download then the Modem and
the connection are OK and you have to concentrate on the Wireless.

As mentioned in the link a typical good 802.11b installation would provide 4Mb/sec.
However could be that your Wireless hardware and the configuration can not provide more
then what you get, it is not uncommon with 802.11b old hardware.

BTW how to you know that you get download of 1.5Mb/sec. The download of files through IE
is rated in Bytes not bits.

May be you would like to read this as well: http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok i have Wireless 802.11b
> and on the link u posted it yields from 4-8Mb/sec.
> i tried wat you proposed by putting it close then away it still hte sma
> ething it stayed constant at about 1.3-1.5Mb
> the cable company says that its a problem with the router configuration
> the router company says its a problem with either the modem or the cable
> signal
> help plz
>
> "Jack (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > If your Wireless provides only 1.5Mb/sec. that would be your Internet Speed as well.
> >
> > First try the Wireless Client sitting near the source to make sure that you Wireless
> > Speed is in the correct range. If you moving away and the "Speed" drops it is the

way
> > Wireless is working and you would need to invest in more hardware to boost your

Wireless
> > range.
> >
> > Frame of reference for Speed - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
> >
> > Boosting Wireless range.
> >
> > Extending Distance: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
> >
> > Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> >
> > Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > yes it says that the speed is 11Mb and that the signal is excellent

=?Utf-8?B?dG9t?=

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests...net/1117678192

this is the results i got on the website u gave me
i knew it was 1.5 casue i tested it on another website
and the wired computer is getting the speed advertised by comcast
and the router says that it provides up to 11Mbps and linksys said that it
should give me 4mb
thanks