Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > configuring roaming profiles on XP Pro

configuring roaming profiles on XP Pro

Misheck

I am trying to configure roaming profiles on windows XP pro machines but the
option to select the roaming profiles has been grayed out and the Domain
users are using the local profile only.

How do I configure the XP machines to make a user or certain users that I
have added to a profile that I have created to be able to use the roaming
profile?

PAJ

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:07:17 +0100, "Misheck"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to configure roaming profiles on windows XP pro machines but the
>option to select the roaming profiles has been grayed out and the Domain
>users are using the local profile only.
>
>How do I configure the XP machines to make a user or certain users that I
>have added to a profile that I have created to be able to use the roaming
>profile?

Huh??

Misheck

The XP Pro machines are part of Domain and I have configured and saved a
roaming profile on the domain and shared it with allow full control to all
users.

I have gone to the users' account and on the profiles tab pointed the
profile path to the network share that I have created on the Domain
Controller but when the user logs on he gets the default user account on the
computer instead of the roaming profile.

Is there anything I need to do on the XP computers to allow users to use
profiles saved on the domain or mandoatory profiles saved on the domain?

"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:07:17 +0100, "Misheck"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to configure roaming profiles on windows XP pro machines but
>>the
>>option to select the roaming profiles has been grayed out and the Domain
>>users are using the local profile only.
>>
>>How do I configure the XP machines to make a user or certain users that I
>>have added to a profile that I have created to be able to use the roaming
>>profile?
>>

> Huh??

PAJ

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:44:27 +0100, "Misheck"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The XP Pro machines are part of Domain and I have configured and saved a
>roaming profile on the domain and shared it with allow full control to all
>users.
>
>I have gone to the users' account and on the profiles tab pointed the
>profile path to the network share that I have created on the Domain
>Controller but when the user logs on he gets the default user account on the
>computer instead of the roaming profile.
>
>Is there anything I need to do on the XP computers to allow users to use
>profiles saved on the domain or mandoatory profiles saved on the domain?

No. That should be enough.

You have created a shared area for the roaming profiles on the server.
e.g.
\\Server\ShareName\UserName
and set full permissions for all users.

In the profile box in the properties of the user you have set:
\\servername\profiles\%username%

When the user next logs on their local profile should be copied to the
server.
They are logging into the domain and not into a local account?

Have you checked for any events in the Application event log?

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:44:27 +0100, "Misheck"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The XP Pro machines are part of Domain and I have configured and saved a
> >roaming profile on the domain and shared it with allow full control to all
> >users.
> >
> >I have gone to the users' account and on the profiles tab pointed the
> >profile path to the network share that I have created on the Domain
> >Controller but when the user logs on he gets the default user account on the
> >computer instead of the roaming profile.
> >
> >Is there anything I need to do on the XP computers to allow users to use
> >profiles saved on the domain or mandoatory profiles saved on the domain?
> >

> No. That should be enough.
>
> You have created a shared area for the roaming profiles on the server.
> e.g.
> \\Server\ShareName\UserName
> and set full permissions for all users.
>
> In the profile box in the properties of the user you have set:
> \\servername\profiles\%username%
>
> When the user next logs on their local profile should be copied to the
> server.
> They are logging into the domain and not into a local account?
>
> Have you checked for any events in the Application event log?

Sounds right to me. But then again this is a CERTIFICATION newsgroups,
not a troubleshooting newsgroup.

PAJ

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:40:54 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:44:27 +0100, "Misheck"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The XP Pro machines are part of Domain and I have configured and saved a
>> >roaming profile on the domain and shared it with allow full control to all
>> >users.
>> >
>> >I have gone to the users' account and on the profiles tab pointed the
>> >profile path to the network share that I have created on the Domain
>> >Controller but when the user logs on he gets the default user account on the
>> >computer instead of the roaming profile.
>> >
>> >Is there anything I need to do on the XP computers to allow users to use
>> >profiles saved on the domain or mandoatory profiles saved on the domain?
>> >

>> No. That should be enough.
>>
>> You have created a shared area for the roaming profiles on the server.
>> e.g.
>> \\Server\ShareName\UserName
>> and set full permissions for all users.
>>
>> In the profile box in the properties of the user you have set:
>> \\servername\profiles\%username%
>>
>> When the user next logs on their local profile should be copied to the
>> server.
>> They are logging into the domain and not into a local account?
>>
>> Have you checked for any events in the Application event log?

>Sounds right to me. But then again this is a CERTIFICATION newsgroups,
>not a troubleshooting newsgroup.

I agree but I remember Misheck posting a few weeks ago while trying to
add a PC to the domain. The domain was contoso.com so I figure he is
working through an MS Press book.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:40:54 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> >> No. That should be enough.
> >>
> >> You have created a shared area for the roaming profiles on the server.
> >> e.g.
> >> \\Server\ShareName\UserName
> >> and set full permissions for all users.
> >>
> >> In the profile box in the properties of the user you have set:
> >> \\servername\profiles\%username%
> >>
> >> When the user next logs on their local profile should be copied to the
> >> server.
> >> They are logging into the domain and not into a local account?
> >>
> >> Have you checked for any events in the Application event log?

> >Sounds right to me. But then again this is a CERTIFICATION newsgroups,
> >not a troubleshooting newsgroup.

> I agree but I remember Misheck posting a few weeks ago while trying to
> add a PC to the domain. The domain was contoso.com so I figure he is
> working through an MS Press book.

Or worse, s/he named the company domain contoso.com. Ugh.

Misheck

Well I have named my company contoso after reading the mspress book and I
know that should generate a few hits from people studying for their MCSA
exams and also administering my domain and I couldnt join my 100 computers
to the domain.(jokes)

What do you mean this forum is for Certification purposes, when I was
refered to it by my MS Press book whilst studying for Vista Cert and I am
now studying for my MCSA and all the questions I have posted are to do with
problems that I am experiencing during my studies in lab enviroment.

The problem is the way the Ms Press book is setup for the MCSA or the 70-290
exam is that its focused on users with at least 18 months work experince on
a server software which I agree with but in my situation is that a few
employers are now willing to employ a desktop support without an MCSA unless
you will to start off at less than 15K a year whilst having spent at least
5K on studies.

Anyway I will not spend a lot of time on that topic because I still cannot
use the roaming profile and computers are still using the local computer
profile even though I have done the gpedit.msc and changed the group policy
to allow the users to use the roaming profile. When I go to the user profile
and system properties all the domainand local users users are showing as
local. I have done what the MS Press book says but still cannot figure out
where I am going wrong. I have gone to the users account properties and
configured his profile to point to the eg \\server01\profile\%username% and
it displays the users name. Another problem I am experiencing is deleting
the folder so I can restart the whole exercise but I keep getting an error
saying the folder is full or write protected or currently being used. I have
even tried to take ownership of the folder and delete but its saying access
denied. The profiles folder is saved on the C:\ drive.

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:40:54 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
>> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>> >Sounds right to me. But then again this is a CERTIFICATION newsgroups,
>> >not a troubleshooting newsgroup.

>> I agree but I remember Misheck posting a few weeks ago while trying to
>> add a PC to the domain. The domain was contoso.com so I figure he is
>> working through an MS Press book.

> Or worse, s/he named the company domain contoso.com. Ugh.

> Microsoft's Six Steps to Certifications -
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/sixsteps.mspx

OTHMAN

"Misheck" wrote:

> I still cannot use the roaming profile and computers are still using the local computer

check this one out:

User Data and Settings Management

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/l.../bb490855.aspx

Misheck

Thanks for the reply, I will read through and see if it solves my problem.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...