Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Joining client to domain

Joining client to domain

JohnSmith1

I am trying to connect my clinet computer (which is virtual XP pc) to domain
which is server 2003 (it is the host computer). I checked domain name,
netlogon, ip address of DNS but somehow can not connect it. I get the message
of "could not find domain controller".

any idea what I am doing wrong?

thanks.

Mostly Gizzards

Does the server point to itself for DNS?

Does the client point to the server for DNS?

Can the client ping the server by FQDN?

MG

"JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to connect my clinet computer (which is virtual XP pc) to
> domain
> which is server 2003 (it is the host computer). I checked domain name,
> netlogon, ip address of DNS but somehow can not connect it. I get the
> message
> of "could not find domain controller".
>
> any idea what I am doing wrong?
>
> thanks.

JohnSmith1

Actually, My server is installed on a pc as host operating system I
installed client os on the same machine onto virtual pc software so both
client and server are on the same pc.
During my installation of active directory, I created DNS and set the IP
address of 10.10.10.4 to my DNS.

My clinet computer ip address set for DNS as above.

Do you think I am doing something wrong?

thanks.
Server point to itself for DNS also client.

"Mostly Gizzards" wrote:

> Does the server point to itself for DNS?
>
> Does the client point to the server for DNS?
>
> Can the client ping the server by FQDN?
>
> MG
>
> "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am trying to connect my clinet computer (which is virtual XP pc) to
> > domain
> > which is server 2003 (it is the host computer). I checked domain name,
> > netlogon, ip address of DNS but somehow can not connect it. I get the
> > message
> > of "could not find domain controller".
> >
> > any idea what I am doing wrong?
> >
> > thanks.

Mostly Gizzards

I should be more specific. Fill in the blanks below.

Server IP Configuration
Host Name
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:

Client IP Configuration
Host Name:
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:

"JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Actually, My server is installed on a pc as host operating system I
> installed client os on the same machine onto virtual pc software so both
> client and server are on the same pc.
> During my installation of active directory, I created DNS and set the IP
> address of 10.10.10.4 to my DNS.
>
> My clinet computer ip address set for DNS as above.
>
> Do you think I am doing something wrong?
>
> thanks.
> Server point to itself for DNS also client.
>
> "Mostly Gizzards" wrote:
>
>> Does the server point to itself for DNS?
>>
>> Does the client point to the server for DNS?
>>
>> Can the client ping the server by FQDN?
>>
>> MG
>>
>> "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I am trying to connect my clinet computer (which is virtual XP pc) to
>> > domain
>> > which is server 2003 (it is the host computer). I checked domain name,
>> > netlogon, ip address of DNS but somehow can not connect it. I get the
>> > message
>> > of "could not find domain controller".
>> >
>> > any idea what I am doing wrong?
>> >
>> > thanks.

JohnSmith1

Sure. See below please.

Thanks

"Mostly Gizzards" wrote:

> I should be more specific. Fill in the blanks below.
>
> Server IP Configuration
> Host Name server1
> IP Address: 10.10.10.4
> Subnet Mask:255.0.0.0
> Default Gateway: None
> Primary DNS: 10.10.10.4
> Secondary DNS: None
>
> Client IP Configuration
> Host Name: Computer01
> IP Address: 10.10.10.9
> Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
> Default Gateway: None
> Primary DNS: 10.10.10.4
> Secondary DNS: None
>
> "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Actually, My server is installed on a pc as host operating system I
> > installed client os on the same machine onto virtual pc software so both
> > client and server are on the same pc.
> > During my installation of active directory, I created DNS and set the IP
> > address of 10.10.10.4 to my DNS.
> >
> > My clinet computer ip address set for DNS as above.
> >
> > Do you think I am doing something wrong?
> >
> > thanks.
> > Server point to itself for DNS also client.
> >
> > "Mostly Gizzards" wrote:
> >
> >> Does the server point to itself for DNS?
> >>
> >> Does the client point to the server for DNS?
> >>
> >> Can the client ping the server by FQDN?
> >>
> >> MG
> >>
> >> "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Hollywood0728

Well I guess my question, first, would be...Virtual XP pc, what virtual
client are you using? VMware, MS Virtual PC, etc.? Are the configurations for
your VM correct from a NIC standpoint?

"JohnSmith1" wrote:

> Sure. See below please.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mostly Gizzards" wrote:
>
> > I should be more specific. Fill in the blanks below.
> >
> > Server IP Configuration
> > Host Name server1
> > IP Address: 10.10.10.4
> > Subnet Mask:255.0.0.0
> > Default Gateway: None
> > Primary DNS: 10.10.10.4
> > Secondary DNS: None
> >
> > Client IP Configuration
> > Host Name: Computer01
> > IP Address: 10.10.10.9
> > Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
> > Default Gateway: None
> > Primary DNS: 10.10.10.4
> > Secondary DNS: None
> >
> > "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > Actually, My server is installed on a pc as host operating system I
> > > installed client os on the same machine onto virtual pc software so both
> > > client and server are on the same pc.
> > > During my installation of active directory, I created DNS and set the IP
> > > address of 10.10.10.4 to my DNS.
> > >
> > > My clinet computer ip address set for DNS as above.
> > >
> > > Do you think I am doing something wrong?
> > >
> > > thanks.
> > > Server point to itself for DNS also client.

JohnSmith1

I am using MS Virtual Pc.

"Hollywood0728" wrote:

> Well I guess my question, first, would be...Virtual XP pc, what virtual
> client are you using? VMware, MS Virtual PC, etc.? Are the configurations for
> your VM correct from a NIC standpoint?
>

> "JohnSmith1" wrote:
>
> > Sure. See below please.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Mostly Gizzards" wrote:
> >
> > > I should be more specific. Fill in the blanks below.
> > >
> > > Server IP Configuration
> > > Host Name server1
> > > IP Address: 10.10.10.4
> > > Subnet Mask:255.0.0.0
> > > Default Gateway: None
> > > Primary DNS: 10.10.10.4
> > > Secondary DNS: None
> > >
> > > Client IP Configuration
> > > Host Name: Computer01
> > > IP Address: 10.10.10.9
> > > Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
> > > Default Gateway: None
> > > Primary DNS: 10.10.10.4
> > > Secondary DNS: None
> > >
> > > "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mostly Gizzards

Can Computer01 ping server1 using the FQDN?

"JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using MS Virtual Pc.
>
> "Hollywood0728" wrote:
>
>> Well I guess my question, first, would be...Virtual XP pc, what virtual
>> client are you using? VMware, MS Virtual PC, etc.? Are the configurations
>> for
>> your VM correct from a NIC standpoint?
>>

>> "JohnSmith1" wrote:
>>
>> > Sure. See below please.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Gary Surprenant

Hi,

I was checking messages and came across this post, because I have ran MS
virtual PC on many occasions to test for configurations or beta testing
(just recently server 200 and I was wondering if I could add my 2 cents.
It seems to me that your IP assignments and mask are fine. I am assuming
you do not want to access the internet (reason for no gateway IP I am
guessing ), which is no big deal. However when you try to join the
workstation (assuming that is what you are calling your client pc), have you
tried just entering the domain controller name only. Not sure if windows
2003 fixed this problem, but with win 2000 server configurations you would
have to just put the domain controller name as a member only.

For example:
On the client (workstation) do the following
right click on my computer
click properties
Click Tab "COMPUTER NAME"
Click the Change Button
Click the radio button for Domain
In text box type in your domain controller name not the FQDN

instead of putting server1.mydomain.com (FQDN of the domain controller)

Just put mydomain in the text box.

I am also assuming that you have converted the server OS to a domain
controller (dcpromo) as well.

Windows XP
Change the computer name and join a domain or a workgroup
To change a computer name and to join a domain or a workgroup, follow these
steps.

Warning Before you change a computer's membership from a domain to a
workgroup, be sure that you know the user name and the password for an
account in the local Administrators group. For more information, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
317049 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317049/) You cannot log on after you
remove the computer from the domain
1. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.
2. Type the new computer name in the Computer name dialog box.
3. Type the new domain or workgroup in either the Domain dialog box or
the Workgroup dialog box.
4. Click More to change the primary Domain Name System (DNS) suffix.
<---- If you go this way put mydomain.com only

Note Windows XP Home Edition is not designed to join domains. Windows
XP Home Edition is only designed to join workgroups. Therefore, use Windows
XP Professional to join domains.
5. Click OK three times, and then restart the computer.

I hope this helps in some way.
"Mostly Gizzards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can Computer01 ping server1 using the FQDN?
>
> "JohnSmith1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am using MS Virtual Pc.
>>
>> "Hollywood0728" wrote:
>>
>>> Well I guess my question, first, would be...Virtual XP pc, what virtual
>>> client are you using? VMware, MS Virtual PC, etc.? Are the
>>> configurations for
>>> your VM correct from a NIC standpoint?

XeDigital

I just want you to make sure that both V.PCs are using the same network
adapter in the VM settings..
try to make them LOCAL ONLY

news:(E-Mail Removed)...