Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Question on being on the right track for MCSA

Reply
Thread Tools

Question on being on the right track for MCSA

 
 
GlennS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008

I think ill just go with 621 since it adds value to my mcsdt and also counts
toward my final goal of the mcsa.
and for the person that asked if i had experience configuring Vista, the
answer is yes, I have about a years worth of that.
"PAJ" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:07:42 -0500, "John R" wrote:
> >"PAJ" wrote:
> >> Personally I am skipping all Vista exams and sticking with the XP track
> >> (until Vista is replaced). I took 70-270 as my client exam.

> >
> >I have to agree that if you hold MCDST, it would seem that 70-270 would be a
> >lot easier for you

>
> Nothing to do with it being easier. Vista sucks and has a small install
> base compared to XP, in my experience (which is what counts).
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
"GlennS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I think ill just go with 621 since it adds value to my mcsdt and also counts
> toward my final goal of the mcsa.
> and for the person that asked if i had experience configuring Vista, the
> answer is yes, I have about a years worth of that.
> "PAJ" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:07:42 -0500, "John R" wrote:
> > >"PAJ" wrote:
> > >> Personally I am skipping all Vista exams and sticking with the XP track
> > >> (until Vista is replaced). I took 70-270 as my client exam.
> > >
> > >I have to agree that if you hold MCDST, it would seem that 70-270 would be a
> > >lot easier for you

> >
> > Nothing to do with it being easier. Vista sucks and has a small install
> > base compared to XP, in my experience (which is what counts).
> >


The 621 has no, and will not add value to your MCDST. It's just an
upgrade exam. The only thing that can add value to your certifications
is experience. Here are the skills measured for the 70-621 exam
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx#EKF. Review them and
be honest with yourself if you are prepared. No one but yourself can
make that determination.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PAJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:28:16 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The 621 has no, and will not add value to your MCDST. It's just an
>upgrade exam. The only thing that can add value to your certifications
>is experience. Here are the skills measured for the 70-621 exam
>http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx#EKF. Review them and
>be honest with yourself if you are prepared. No one but yourself can
>make that determination.


What is your problem?
You seem to like putting people down.
People here are not in your 'classroom'!

People will study and take exams for whatever reason they see fit.

The official MS line may be to show proficiency in a subject they
already work with on a day-to-day basis. This is not always how it works
in the real world. I am willing to bet the vast majority of people who
study for and take MS exams do so to learn new subjects or to improve
their knowledge.

The fact is to get real-world experience they may need the certs. Yes an
employer *may* employ someone with experience over someone who has a
cert, they may not. If two equal people have little experience but one
has certs then the one with the certs stands a better chance of getting
the job. I know... not if you were the employer blah blah blah.

People may study for an MS exam to learn new subjects. To improve their
career prospects. To prove they can pass the exam. Because their
employer has asked them to.....
If you think this devalues the certifications in any way, well that is
just tough.

Telling people the only way the can add value is to gain experience is
just male bovine excrement.

Like your comments, this is all my opinion.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:28:16 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The 621 has no, and will not add value to your MCDST. It's just an
> >upgrade exam. The only thing that can add value to your certifications
> >is experience. Here are the skills measured for the 70-621 exam
> >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx#EKF. Review them and
> >be honest with yourself if you are prepared. No one but yourself can
> >make that determination.

>
> What is your problem?
> You seem to like putting people down.
> People here are not in your 'classroom'!
>
> People will study and take exams for whatever reason they see fit.
>
> The official MS line may be to show proficiency in a subject they
> already work with on a day-to-day basis. This is not always how it works
> in the real world. I am willing to bet the vast majority of people who
> study for and take MS exams do so to learn new subjects or to improve
> their knowledge.
>
> The fact is to get real-world experience they may need the certs. Yes an
> employer *may* employ someone with experience over someone who has a
> cert, they may not. If two equal people have little experience but one
> has certs then the one with the certs stands a better chance of getting
> the job. I know... not if you were the employer blah blah blah.
>
> People may study for an MS exam to learn new subjects. To improve their
> career prospects. To prove they can pass the exam. Because their
> employer has asked them to.....
> If you think this devalues the certifications in any way, well that is
> just tough.
>
> Telling people the only way the can add value is to gain experience is
> just male bovine excrement.
>
> Like your comments, this is all my opinion.


And thank you for sharing your opinion.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
PAJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2008
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:39:27 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:28:16 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
>> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The 621 has no, and will not add value to your MCDST. It's just an
>> >upgrade exam. The only thing that can add value to your certifications
>> >is experience. Here are the skills measured for the 70-621 exam
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx#EKF. Review them and
>> >be honest with yourself if you are prepared. No one but yourself can
>> >make that determination.

>>
>> What is your problem?
>> You seem to like putting people down.
>> People here are not in your 'classroom'!
>>
>> People will study and take exams for whatever reason they see fit.
>>
>> The official MS line may be to show proficiency in a subject they
>> already work with on a day-to-day basis. This is not always how it works
>> in the real world. I am willing to bet the vast majority of people who
>> study for and take MS exams do so to learn new subjects or to improve
>> their knowledge.
>>
>> The fact is to get real-world experience they may need the certs. Yes an
>> employer *may* employ someone with experience over someone who has a
>> cert, they may not. If two equal people have little experience but one
>> has certs then the one with the certs stands a better chance of getting
>> the job. I know... not if you were the employer blah blah blah.
>>
>> People may study for an MS exam to learn new subjects. To improve their
>> career prospects. To prove they can pass the exam. Because their
>> employer has asked them to.....
>> If you think this devalues the certifications in any way, well that is
>> just tough.
>>
>> Telling people the only way the can add value is to gain experience is
>> just male bovine excrement.
>>
>> Like your comments, this is all my opinion.

>
>And thank you for sharing your opinion.


Well someone had to!
 
Reply With Quote
 
new2IT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2008
Just wanted to say thank you PAJ for your comments. I am completely new to
this discussion group and like my name implies new to the field (or should I
say getting into the field). I agree with Michael in the since that
experience is number one but in todays job market getting a job in the field
in order to get the experience is almost impossible unless you have certs.
After reading many comments concerning certs dont mean anything experience
does it almost made me wonder if making my career change was the right thing
since I dont have a lot of experience yet.

"PAJ" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:39:27 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :
> >
> >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:28:16 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> >> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> >The 621 has no, and will not add value to your MCDST. It's just an
> >> >upgrade exam. The only thing that can add value to your certifications
> >> >is experience. Here are the skills measured for the 70-621 exam
> >> >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx#EKF. Review them and
> >> >be honest with yourself if you are prepared. No one but yourself can
> >> >make that determination.
> >>
> >> What is your problem?
> >> You seem to like putting people down.
> >> People here are not in your 'classroom'!
> >>
> >> People will study and take exams for whatever reason they see fit.
> >>
> >> The official MS line may be to show proficiency in a subject they
> >> already work with on a day-to-day basis. This is not always how it works
> >> in the real world. I am willing to bet the vast majority of people who
> >> study for and take MS exams do so to learn new subjects or to improve
> >> their knowledge.
> >>
> >> The fact is to get real-world experience they may need the certs. Yes an
> >> employer *may* employ someone with experience over someone who has a
> >> cert, they may not. If two equal people have little experience but one
> >> has certs then the one with the certs stands a better chance of getting
> >> the job. I know... not if you were the employer blah blah blah.
> >>
> >> People may study for an MS exam to learn new subjects. To improve their
> >> career prospects. To prove they can pass the exam. Because their
> >> employer has asked them to.....
> >> If you think this devalues the certifications in any way, well that is
> >> just tough.
> >>
> >> Telling people the only way the can add value is to gain experience is
> >> just male bovine excrement.
> >>
> >> Like your comments, this is all my opinion.

> >
> >And thank you for sharing your opinion.

>
> Well someone had to!
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2008
"new2IT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Just wanted to say thank you PAJ for your comments. I am completely new to
> this discussion group and like my name implies new to the field (or should I
> say getting into the field). I agree with Michael in the since that
> experience is number one but in todays job market getting a job in the field
> in order to get the experience is almost impossible unless you have certs.
> After reading many comments concerning certs dont mean anything experience
> does it almost made me wonder if making my career change was the right thing
> since I dont have a lot of experience yet.
>
> "PAJ" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:39:27 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> > Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed) :
> > >
> > >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:28:16 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> > >> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> >The 621 has no, and will not add value to your MCDST. It's just an
> > >> >upgrade exam. The only thing that can add value to your certifications
> > >> >is experience. Here are the skills measured for the 70-621 exam
> > >> >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx#EKF. Review them and
> > >> >be honest with yourself if you are prepared. No one but yourself can
> > >> >make that determination.
> > >>
> > >> What is your problem?
> > >> You seem to like putting people down.
> > >> People here are not in your 'classroom'!
> > >>
> > >> People will study and take exams for whatever reason they see fit.
> > >>
> > >> The official MS line may be to show proficiency in a subject they
> > >> already work with on a day-to-day basis. This is not always how it works
> > >> in the real world. I am willing to bet the vast majority of people who
> > >> study for and take MS exams do so to learn new subjects or to improve
> > >> their knowledge.
> > >>
> > >> The fact is to get real-world experience they may need the certs. Yes an
> > >> employer *may* employ someone with experience over someone who has a
> > >> cert, they may not. If two equal people have little experience but one
> > >> has certs then the one with the certs stands a better chance of getting
> > >> the job. I know... not if you were the employer blah blah blah.
> > >>
> > >> People may study for an MS exam to learn new subjects. To improve their
> > >> career prospects. To prove they can pass the exam. Because their
> > >> employer has asked them to.....
> > >> If you think this devalues the certifications in any way, well that is
> > >> just tough.
> > >>
> > >> Telling people the only way the can add value is to gain experience is
> > >> just male bovine excrement.
> > >>
> > >> Like your comments, this is all my opinion.
> > >
> > >And thank you for sharing your opinion.

> >
> > Well someone had to!
> >


I.T. is no different from any other field that someone decides to
pursue. Let's take a chef for example. Do you think that one day a
person gets out of bed and decides, "Hey, I want to be a chef of a 4
star restaurant." So this person goes to a high end eatery and applies
for the executive chef position. What are the odds of him getting that
position -- even if he is a graduate of a top end culinary school? None.
Why? Experience. Yes, he has his credentials from the culinary school,
but proprietors' are not going to risk the reputation of their
restaurant on a newly graduated chef. Like anything you want, there is
always some sort of sacrifice. Whether it's an initial low salary, low
position, number of hours worked, etc.. We have forgotten what it means
to earn something nowadays. Determination to see your goals, dreams and
desires through no matter what.

How many posts have littered this and many other newsgroups like this
one that states, "Hey, I just got certified in XYZ, now what do I do?"
What does this say? This person a month ago was just complaining about
the lack of jobs that s/he have been denied because the employer was
looking for certifications. Now they have one or two and still cannot
find employment. Why??? EXPERIENCE. Employers have secretly smarten up
over the years after the onslaught of paper certified individuals
milking their payrolls with extraordinary salaries who could not tell
you the difference between DHCP and DNS -- much less how to implement
and/or administrate either. Long gone are the days an employer looks at
your resume and says, "Oh you have your MCSE? Your hired!"

My advice; if you want it bad enough, you will have it. It's called
determination. It's being willing to sacrifice anything. No experience,
no problem. I'll beg to work for X amount of dollars (X being a lower
starting pay). Volunteer. Come in early. Stay later. Sleep less. Stay
current with technology. Ask questions. Demand answers. And research
everything.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
PAJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2008
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:12:01 -0800, new2IT
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just wanted to say thank you PAJ for your comments. I am completely new to
>this discussion group and like my name implies new to the field (or should I
>say getting into the field). I agree with Michael in the since that
>experience is number one but in todays job market getting a job in the field
>in order to get the experience is almost impossible unless you have certs.
>After reading many comments concerning certs dont mean anything experience
>does it almost made me wonder if making my career change was the right thing
>since I dont have a lot of experience yet.
>


That's great. Also read Michael's later post. It does make sense.
My main reason for posting was to make it clear I do not agree with
putting people down if they want to try and better themselves. I also do
not believe that someone with no experience gaining cert's is a bad
thing. I also do not believe it devalues the cert's in any way. So long
as the correct path is taken and they are earned legitimately.

If they only people taking MCSA cert's were sysadmins then this would
devalue them. I disagree with people posting that experience is all that
counts. These same people have the experience and then go and take the
cert's themselves. Why? They have shown they can do their jobs! Maybe
they do not like it that the cert's can be earned by someone with no
experience. Never mint the fact the people with no experience have to
work a lot harder to earn them. In my eyes this makes them more valuable
(the people and the cert's they earn).

I myself went for a career change over 10 years ago (from manual work).
I followed the exact same path you did, training and then an
'internship/work experience'. Then a low paid job. Continuing to take
more exams along the way (not just MS). Now I have a good, well paid job
I am happy with that I am happy with.

Go for it. You have nothing to lose.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
insert track reference in mp3 track D@Z Computer Support 1 05-02-2008 03:32 PM
MCSA not on same track as MCSA-Exchange? James B Microsoft Certification 5 07-25-2007 09:16 AM
Old certification track vs new certification track. Barkley Hughes MCAD 5 11-12-2006 02:41 PM
MCSA Track Question Andy MCSA 4 01-30-2005 08:07 PM
Am I closer to being on the right track here? DaKitty HTML 26 11-24-2004 06:49 AM



Advertisments