Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3

MCSA Win2K to MSCE Win2K3

Darryl Smith

Hi,

I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the 70-292
Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.

Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE in
Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?

Thanks in advance,

Darryl

John R

"Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
> 70-292
> Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
>
> Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
> in
> Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Darryl

You'll only need 70-296 if you can get it in before the end of March 2008.
Otherwise, you'll need both 70-293 and 70-294.

John R

John R

"Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
> 70-292
> Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
>
> Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
> in
> Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Darryl

The last post assumed you have MCSE 2000. If you do not, then you
definitely need 70-293 and 70-294, plus a design elective such as 70-297 or
70-298.

See this link for additional info...
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...3/default.mspx

John R

Darryl Smith

OK ... I'm confused big-time now.

I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows 2003?
There's no mention of a design unit.

"John R" wrote:

> "Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
> > 70-292
> > Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
> >
> > Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
> > in
> > Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Darryl

> The last post assumed you have MCSE 2000. If you do not, then you
> definitely need 70-293 and 70-294, plus a design elective such as 70-297 or
> 70-298.
>
> See this link for additional info...
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...3/default.mspx
>
> John R

John R

"Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK ... I'm confused big-time now.
>
> I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
> Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
> mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows
> 2003?
> There's no mention of a design unit.

See this link...
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...2003/mcsa.mspx

We agree on 293 and 294 which are core elements. Your MCSA on 2000 will
satisfy the general elective for MCSE 2003. That leaves only the design
elective.

On the certification planner, it might not say 'design elective', it
probably says 'core elective' or something like that, but an MCSA has not
demonstrated design skills. If you look a little closer, I am sure you will
see 297 and 298 (and maybe a few others) of which you must satisfy one.

John R

John R

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK ... I'm confused big-time now.
>>
>> I only have achieved the MCSA on Windows 2000.
>> Keeping what you've said in mind, why does my Certification Planner only
>> mention that I need Exams 292, 293 and 294 to obtain my MCSE in Windows
>> 2003?
>> There's no mention of a design unit.
>>

> See this link...
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...2003/mcsa.mspx
>
> We agree on 293 and 294 which are core elements. Your MCSA on 2000 will
> satisfy the general elective for MCSE 2003. That leaves only the design
> elective.
>
> On the certification planner, it might not say 'design elective', it
> probably says 'core elective' or something like that, but an MCSA has not
> demonstrated design skills. If you look a little closer, I am sure you
> will see 297 and 298 (and maybe a few others) of which you must satisfy
> one.
>
> John R

Assuming, of course, that you get 292 to bring your MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003.

squareeyes

I was wondering if the 70-292 exam allowed the use of the calculator.
I am so lame I want it for the subneting questions.

By the way I have seen what a 200 MCSE needs to do to get 2008 equivalent
and the way I look at it it's exams for the 2003 MCSE upgrade then 3 exams
for the 2008 upgrade? That's 5 exams which I believe is what it takes to do
the 2008 Pro qualification from scratch. I'm not sure which approach is best
and even easier for me.

thanks

"Rich G" wrote:

> "Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
> > 70-292
> > Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
> >
> > Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
> > in
> > Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> I wouldn't worry too much about the MCSE until you pass 70-292. It is
> consider one of the most difficult exams to pass of them all..
>
> Good luck with it.
>
> Rich G

mark

hi
if your hold the MCSE and MCSA certifications, exam 70-292 will upgrade your
MCSA 2000 to the MCSA 2003 Certification. Exams 70-292 and 296 will upgrade
your MCSE 2000 to the 2003 track. Be advised, exam 70-292 will only need to
be taken once for both certifications. So yes, there is an upgrade for the
MCSA Certification.

"Darryl Smith" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the 70-292
> Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
>
> Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE in
> Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Darryl

TK [MCSE,MCT]

I always recommend you go the Four Core Route.. Rather than the upgrades.

There is an extremely LOW passing rate as far as the two upgrade exams go.
I recommend.. In order.. 290, 293, 294, 291, 298

"Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
> 70-292
> Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
>
> Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my MCSE
> in
> Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Darryl

Montreal MCT

There is a calculator in the exam workstation. You may not bring your own
in.

Mitch Garvis, MCT
http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

"squareeyes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was wondering if the 70-292 exam allowed the use of the calculator.
> I am so lame I want it for the subneting questions.
>
> By the way I have seen what a 200 MCSE needs to do to get 2008 equivalent
> and the way I look at it it's exams for the 2003 MCSE upgrade then 3
> exams
> for the 2008 upgrade? That's 5 exams which I believe is what it takes to
> do
> the 2008 Pro qualification from scratch. I'm not sure which approach is
> best
> and even easier for me.
>
> thanks
>
> "Rich G" wrote:
>

>> "Darryl Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I currently have my MCSA in Windows 2000 and about to go and sit the
>> > 70-292
>> > Exam. But iwas was also thinking about upgrading my MCSA to MCSE.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know what exams I should take to take in order to get my
>> > MCSE
>> > in
>> > Windows 2003 in the least amount of exams possible?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >

>> I wouldn't worry too much about the MCSE until you pass 70-292. It is
>> consider one of the most difficult exams to pass of them all..
>>
>> Good luck with it.
>>
>> Rich G

Using win2k3 std r2 32 bit license to install win2k3 std r2 64 bit neo_italy02@yahoo.it Windows 64bit 0 01-22-2008 08:53 PM
Migrating Shares and NTFS Permissions from Win2k Server to Win2k3 Server JustMe Computer Support 4 07-19-2006 11:52 AM
WIN2k of Win2K3 TJ MCSE 7 08-06-2004 05:40 PM
MCSE Win2k vs. win2k3 Jimm MCSE 9 04-19-2004 11:40 AM
MSCE/MCSA network differences? James Microsoft Certification 3 01-09-2004 08:45 PM

Advertisments