Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Intel Pro 2200bg - channel selection

Intel Pro 2200bg - channel selection

Michel S.

Hi !

My new laptop is equipped with the Intel Pro 2200bd wireless card.

How can I change the channel the card is using ?

I looked into the card's properties and can't find anything related to
that information.. Going into the connection's properties isn't more
successful.

I'm using xp-pro(sp2) - and the connection's properties shows that
windows is used to configure the wireless network.

Thanks

Pavel A.

"Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi !
>
> My new laptop is equipped with the Intel Pro 2200bd wireless card.
>
> How can I change the channel the card is using ?
>
> I looked into the card's properties and can't find anything related to
> that information.. Going into the connection's properties isn't more
> successful.
>
> I'm using xp-pro(sp2) - and the connection's properties shows that
> windows is used to configure the wireless network.
>
> Thanks

The channel is set in the Access point or wireless router.
A client netcard will automatically tune to that channel.

Channels for peer to peer connection are set in a proprietary way, see documentation from the vendor.

--PA

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

Wireless adapters will automatically tune into specific channels on an as
needed basis. Why do you need to set a specific channel for this adapter?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi !
>
> My new laptop is equipped with the Intel Pro 2200bd wireless card.
>
> How can I change the channel the card is using ?
>
> I looked into the card's properties and can't find anything related to
> that information.. Going into the connection's properties isn't more
> successful.
>
> I'm using xp-pro(sp2) - and the connection's properties shows that windows
> is used to configure the wireless network.
>
> Thanks

Michel S.

Thank you both Pavel and Jerry for answering..

The purpose of selecting a channel on "client" side was a way I was
investigating to reduce noise & interference. At home, (an apartment
building), my laptop detect not less than 17 wireless networks !

Since I experience frequent "disconnections" and a low data transfer
rate, I tought that setting my router to a specific channel AND my PC
card to the same channel would act as a filter, reduce some overhead
and improve performance..

I read that some cards drivers (cisco) allow to manually select the
client channel..

I guess from your answer that it's the exception, not the rule..

Seems like it's not the way to look..

Thanks again.

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

The client adapter will automatically use the channel the access point is
broadcasting on. You don't need to specify a channel on the client.

There are many sources of interference and unfortunately the band used by
802.11b and 802.11g devices is a busy place. Microwave ovens, 2.4ghz
phones, bluetooth devices, and those pesky neighbors with wireless networks
are all sharing the same frequencies.