Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-291 prep. IPSec, WINS?

70-291 prep. IPSec, WINS?

STFW

Was reviewing the objectives:

There's no mention of IPSec, and WINS. To those of you that have taken this
exam recently (like 2007), is it worth studying these topics for the exam?

Shawn Dionne

Not much Wins But Alot of IPSEC I passed it a monh ago
"STFW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was reviewing the objectives:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx
>
> There's no mention of IPSec, and WINS. To those of you that have taken
> this
> exam recently (like 2007), is it worth studying these topics for the exam?

redluck

For some of the sub-objectives, you might have to dig around to find
where they're at. I know IPSEC was covered fairly extensively in the
MS Exam Kit.
On Oct 30, 10:46 pm, STFW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Was reviewing the objectives:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx
>
> There's no mention of IPSec, and WINS. To those of you that have taken this
> exam recently (like 2007), is it worth studying these topics for the exam?

Wayne Anderson

If it were me, I would definitely take the time to go over some of the
information on IPSec. WINS is considered a legacy service and is not really
a focus in the Windows Server 2003 infrastructure, even though it is a
component in both 2003 and 2008. I would not really put much time there.

Looking over my exam notes on the subject, I did have some coverage of WINS
but it was very basic and only a few questions related to it. I did note
some IPSec coverage and also (relatively speaking) a lot of WSUS coverage,
relative to how small a piece of the network infrastructure WSUS really is.

DNS is also in my notes as a REALLY big piece of passing this exam.

My exam guide on the subject is availible at :
http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs...9/06/4936.aspx
--
Wayne Anderson

"STFW" wrote:

> Was reviewing the objectives:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx
>
> There's no mention of IPSec, and WINS. To those of you that have taken this
> exam recently (like 2007), is it worth studying these topics for the exam?

STFW

Thanks! I see at your blog a link to WSUS 3.0 labs. Will the test likely
have WSUS 3.0 or 2.0 questions/sims?

I'd like to take in a week from now, and have the Microsoft Official
Curriculum 2277C (from a night class I slept through last Spring and its
labs. I am budgeting about 4 hours per night. I just passed 70-290 and would
rate it Moderately Easy to Moderate on your scale. I have a Prometric
insurance number I can use, but I don't know if I should save this for 70-293
or 70-294.

Much TCP/IP / Subnetting questions? Calculate network IDs, number of
possible hosts? Spot misconfigurations?

As far as IIS, ISA, what might I want to read up on?

"Wayne Anderson" wrote:

> If it were me, I would definitely take the time to go over some of the
> information on IPSec. WINS is considered a legacy service and is not really
> a focus in the Windows Server 2003 infrastructure, even though it is a
> component in both 2003 and 2008. I would not really put much time there.
>
> Looking over my exam notes on the subject, I did have some coverage of WINS
> but it was very basic and only a few questions related to it. I did note
> some IPSec coverage and also (relatively speaking) a lot of WSUS coverage,
> relative to how small a piece of the network infrastructure WSUS really is.
>
> DNS is also in my notes as a REALLY big piece of passing this exam.
>
> My exam guide on the subject is availible at :
> http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs...9/06/4936.aspx
> --
> Wayne Anderson
> http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/
>

> "STFW" wrote:
>
> > Was reviewing the objectives:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx
> >
> > There's no mention of IPSec, and WINS. To those of you that have taken this
> > exam recently (like 2007), is it worth studying these topics for the exam?

Andrew

WINS would take you less than 10 minutes to know everything about it. Clients
register to it, each server can have up to 10,000 clients, and they can do a
push or a pull transfer to other WINS servers. Push transfer is when the
transferring server sends the data to the receiving server after so many
record changes and pull transfer is when the receiving server asks for a
transfer after a set amount of time. WINS is extremely simple when compared
to DNS.