Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Just how up-to-date are the exams?

Just how up-to-date are the exams?

Red13x

Hi,

I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?

I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
use it for my exam etc.

The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
many new commands.

Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?

If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
include the new features of 2003 SP2?!

I am very confused. Thankfully I have good working knowledge of both
versions of SUS and the OS SPs, but for software like MBSA that I have never
used before, I am feeling somewhat discouraged - especially as I am not great
with CMD lines as it is and will need to study these areas extra hard.

I am looking forward to your responses, and if there is an easy link, that I
really should have found which has this info, please let me know - I did
search around but was clearly looking in the wrong places!

PAJ

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:46:04 -0700, Red13x
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
>up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?
>
>I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
>qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
>there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
>MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
>use it for my exam etc.
>
>The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
>was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
>me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
>many new commands.
>
>Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
>book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?
>
>If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
>mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
>include the new features of 2003 SP2?!

Study for SP1 and WSUS. This is what is covered (no R2).

--
Paul

Wayne Anderson

PAJ is correct here. Most of the 2003 level exams have been updated to
reflect the WSUS system and SP1 content. As of the time of this writing, I
have yet to hear or see anyone who has encountered SP2 or R2 material.

At the same time, you will want to be familiar with WSUS intimately,
particularly when you get into -291 and -293 territory. If you end up going
the security track, WSUS architecture is also touched upon in -299.

Hope this helps!

Free free to post here or contact me directly if you would like some more
directed guidance.
--
Wayne Anderson

"Red13x" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
> up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?
>
> I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
> qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
> there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
> MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
> use it for my exam etc.
>
> The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
> was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
> me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
> many new commands.
>
> Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
> book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?
>
> If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
> mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
> include the new features of 2003 SP2?!
>
> I am very confused. Thankfully I have good working knowledge of both
> versions of SUS and the OS SPs, but for software like MBSA that I have never
> used before, I am feeling somewhat discouraged - especially as I am not great
> with CMD lines as it is and will need to study these areas extra hard.
>
> I am looking forward to your responses, and if there is an easy link, that I
> really should have found which has this info, please let me know - I did
> search around but was clearly looking in the wrong places!

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Wayne Anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> PAJ is correct here. Most of the 2003 level exams have been updated to
> reflect the WSUS system and SP1 content. As of the time of this writing, I
> have yet to hear or see anyone who has encountered SP2 or R2 material.
>
> At the same time, you will want to be familiar with WSUS intimately,
> particularly when you get into -291 and -293 territory. If you end up going
> the security track, WSUS architecture is also touched upon in -299.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Free free to post here or contact me directly if you would like some more
> directed guidance.
> --
> Wayne Anderson
> http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/
>

> "Red13x" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been looking to no avail for the answer to my question: just how
> > up-to-date are the Microsoft exams?
> >
> > I am currently studying for the 70-290 exam, so I am still a baby with my
> > qualification, and although I have used most of the tools I need to study,
> > there are a few which I have never heard of. For example, I have never used
> > MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser), but I am having to learn how to
> > use it for my exam etc.
> >
> > The study book I am using is Sybex 70-290 R2 and is fairly up-to-date as it
> > was released in 2005 and contains SP1 info. The problem is, the info it gives
> > me for the MBSA CMD lines do not work on the up-to-date MBSA tool, which has
> > many new commands.
> >
> > Which is most likely to appear in the exams? The one I am studying from my
> > book or the one that is newest to Microsoft?
> >
> > If the exams are updated after every related software release, does this
> > mean I need to look more at WSUS 2.0 rather than SUS 1.0 and will this now
> > include the new features of 2003 SP2?!
> >
> > I am very confused. Thankfully I have good working knowledge of both
> > versions of SUS and the OS SPs, but for software like MBSA that I have never
> > used before, I am feeling somewhat discouraged - especially as I am not great
> > with CMD lines as it is and will need to study these areas extra hard.
> >
> > I am looking forward to your responses, and if there is an easy link, that I
> > really should have found which has this info, please let me know - I did
> > search around but was clearly looking in the wrong places!

From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

We stripped out all the content in the exams that was rendered obsolete
by SP2 but did not seed in any content specifically for SP2. Same with
R2 - we took out anything that was no longer valid but did not add any
R2-specific content in. We typically handle service packs and "dot"
releases this way as many customers take a long time to implement and/or
use the updates.

Hope that helps, and good luck.
Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

PAJ

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:35:05 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

Whoever he is.

>We stripped out all the content in the exams that was rendered obsolete
>by SP2 but did not seed in any content specifically for SP2. Same with
>R2 - we took out anything that was no longer valid but did not add any
>R2-specific content in. We typically handle service packs and "dot"
>releases this way as many customers take a long time to implement and/or
>use the updates.

Which is more confusing than what I wrote, unless you happen to have a
list of all the changes since SP1.
Easier to setup a lab with SP1 and practice with that. IMO.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:35:05 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

> Whoever he is.
>
> >We stripped out all the content in the exams that was rendered obsolete
> >by SP2 but did not seed in any content specifically for SP2. Same with
> >R2 - we took out anything that was no longer valid but did not add any
> >R2-specific content in. We typically handle service packs and "dot"
> >releases this way as many customers take a long time to implement and/or
> >use the updates.

> Which is more confusing than what I wrote, unless you happen to have a
> list of all the changes since SP1.
> Easier to setup a lab with SP1 and practice with that. IMO.

Rob Linsky is the Program Manager for Microsoft Certification and the
message was pretty clear.

Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

PAJ

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:23:17 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the message was pretty clear.

I never said it was not clear.
Just that it added nothing of any use.

PAJ

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:33:08 -0500, catwalker63
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>PAJ <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:35:05 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
>> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>From Rob Linsky - Microsoft Certification:

>> Whoever he is.
>>

>A quick scan of google results produced this:
>
>http://center.spoke.com/info/p2EmNLe/RobLinsky

Thanks.

>Trika calls him Slinky (spollchecker joke).

Whoever she is.

CBIC

"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>Trika calls him Slinky (spollchecker joke).

> Whoever she is.

You're joking, right?

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"PAJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:23:17 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
> Inc.]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >the message was pretty clear.

> I never said it was not clear.
> Just that it added nothing of any use.

Here's you sign:

No SP2 or R2 specific content added. So to answer the OP, the exams are
not as up to date as they could be. The reason being, and quoting Rob
again, " We typically handle service packs and "dot" releases this way
as many customers take a long time to implement and/or use the updates."

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -