Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > which one first? 70-291 or 70-290

which one first? 70-291 or 70-290

Johnny C

Hi All

I have a dilemma. I got a free 5 day classroom training course and wondering
if I should do the 70-291 course/exam first before 70-290, as the 70-291 is
the shorter classroom course. i have been in IT for 4 years dealing with
windows 2003 server on a daily basis and also have A+ and network+
certification.
I got a course book for 70-290 at home but not for 70-291 and my training
voucher expires at the end of the year. Thought why do the classroom training
for 70-290 when I have already got 70-290 course at home. Trying to save
money.

Obviously, I will end up doing 70-270 afterwards.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Johnny C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi All
>
> I have a dilemma. I got a free 5 day classroom training course and wondering
> if I should do the 70-291 course/exam first before 70-290, as the 70-291 is
> the shorter classroom course. i have been in IT for 4 years dealing with
> windows 2003 server on a daily basis and also have A+ and network+
> certification.
> I got a course book for 70-290 at home but not for 70-291 and my training
> voucher expires at the end of the year. Thought why do the classroom training
> for 70-290 when I have already got 70-290 course at home. Trying to save
> money.
>
> Obviously, I will end up doing 70-270 afterwards.

I would advise you to visit http://www.microsoft.com/learning and view
the "Skills being measured" for each of your desired exams. By reviewing
this, it will show you what technology you will be tested on. From there
you can make a determination on the skill set you are most experienced
in. After all, that is what it is all about: experience.

--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

Wayne Anderson

Personally, I really have to recommend 290 first. 291 is very challenging
for a lot of people because of the breadth of infrastructure systems that are
covered. 290 gets you up to speed on passing exams, on the 2003
infrastructure in specific, and on the systems that you can see exam
questions for. 291 should follow 290 once you are comfortable with the exam
format, level, and process for the 2003 exams.

Also try and take some extra time for 291 as it may be something of a
challenge.
--
Wayne Anderson

"Johnny C" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a dilemma. I got a free 5 day classroom training course and wondering
> if I should do the 70-291 course/exam first before 70-290, as the 70-291 is
> the shorter classroom course. i have been in IT for 4 years dealing with
> windows 2003 server on a daily basis and also have A+ and network+
> certification.
> I got a course book for 70-290 at home but not for 70-291 and my training
> voucher expires at the end of the year. Thought why do the classroom training
> for 70-290 when I have already got 70-290 course at home. Trying to save
> money.
>
> Obviously, I will end up doing 70-270 afterwards.

Phil Hedrick

I just scheduled my 290 exam for next week and was shocked to learn that it
was a four hour time block for the test. Everything I have read and studied
till now said 90 minutes and 45 questions. Can anyone tell me what is going
on? I do not know whether to be more anxious than I already am, or to feel
better with the increased time. Give me some insight if you can. Thanks
"Johnny C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I have a dilemma. I got a free 5 day classroom training course and
> wondering
> if I should do the 70-291 course/exam first before 70-290, as the 70-291
> is
> the shorter classroom course. i have been in IT for 4 years dealing with
> windows 2003 server on a daily basis and also have A+ and network+
> certification.
> I got a course book for 70-290 at home but not for 70-291 and my training
> voucher expires at the end of the year. Thought why do the classroom
> training
> for 70-290 when I have already got 70-290 course at home. Trying to save
> money.
>
> Obviously, I will end up doing 70-270 afterwards.

Montreal MCT

Hi Phil,

There are no Microsoft certification exams that are 45 minutes long. That
does not mean that they cannot conceivably be completed in that time. There
were a couple of Windows XP exams that were 3 hours long that I finished in
30 minutes. That does not mean that everyone can read as fast as I can or
comprehend the material as well, and should be given more time.

As for the number of questions, it will vary from test to test. The fewest
questions I have seen on an RTM exam is 42 and the most is 65. Figure that
70-290 is in there (I passed it at some point but don't remember).

Good luck!

Mitch Garvis, MCT
MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
Visit my blog at http://feeds.feedburner.com/MitchGBlog
---
"Phil Hedrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I just scheduled my 290 exam for next week and was shocked to learn that
> it was a four hour time block for the test. Everything I have read and
> studied till now said 90 minutes and 45 questions. Can anyone tell me what
> is going on? I do not know whether to be more anxious than I already am,
> or to feel better with the increased time. Give me some insight if you
> can. Thanks
> "Johnny C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have a dilemma. I got a free 5 day classroom training course and
>> wondering
>> if I should do the 70-291 course/exam first before 70-290, as the 70-291
>> is
>> the shorter classroom course. i have been in IT for 4 years dealing with
>> windows 2003 server on a daily basis and also have A+ and network+
>> certification.
>> I got a course book for 70-290 at home but not for 70-291 and my training
>> voucher expires at the end of the year. Thought why do the classroom
>> training
>> for 70-290 when I have already got 70-290 course at home. Trying to save
>> money.
>>
>> Obviously, I will end up doing 70-270 afterwards.

Montreal MCT

Yes it did, but I wass making a point that as much time as they give you,
when you finish you finish.

news:Xns99D996A2A1B7Ccatwalker63athotmail@216.196. 97.136...