Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help:How to make two or more wireless connection items in Network Connections?

Help:How to make two or more wireless connection items in Network Connections?

Big_Al

an said this on 1/14/2009 3:57 AM:
> I don't think the XP will remember the IP setting.

Wow, this is complicated.

When you connect to a wireless device, and *IF* you have your wireless
TCP/IP set to automatic DHCP (as most are) then your wireless connection
will assign your PC the IP settings it needs for that wireless device.
YOU DON"T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. This is the nice thing about DHCP.
The router will set tell your PC what to do.

If you have a situation that forces you to hand enter IP addresses well
then you're screwed. Some businesses I've heard do that, but its a
realllllly stupid concept. Especially if you have laptops coming and
going.

I connect at my office and get an IP in the right range for there. I
come home and get another, I go to friends, and another, and a hotel and
another. ITS DHCP. The router is doing it.

Please just try it then complain if you have an issue. It just might
work and you're worried about nothing. Its non destructive and you're
not installing anything.

an

Thanks!
Unfortunately,I was assigned a fix IP address, and also fix MAC address.
So it is very inconvenience. Stupid as you said.

Big_Al

an said this on 1/15/2009 8:54 AM:
> Thanks!
> Unfortunately,I was assigned a fix IP address, and also fix MAC address.
> So it is very inconvenience. Stupid as you said.

That's really weird in these days. Most routers can be fixed to assign
fixed IP addresses based on your MAC address. We did it all the time
at the office till we fixed other reasons for the practice. We needed
to fix IPs for RDP port forwarding.

I never have figured out why anyone would want to fake a MAC address.
They are so unimportant and always unique thus not an issue.

Sorry, Unless some bystander reads all this and has some good input, I
think you got as much as you can get. Maybe there is a utility that
can be found that will change preferences some how. I know one of the
people in our office had a laptop and she was told to make two logins
with different profiles, one office and one "not office". Thus she
could get different configs per login. And it worked in her situation.
The office included a VPN to a data server at another site etc.
It wouldn't take much to add another user and see if the practice of
hard coding the IP / MAC at the office stays in one profile and your get
the DHCP ability with your home router on another.