Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 291 RAS environememt

291 RAS environememt

DLX

Hello,

I'm currently working on my 70-291 and until RAS, i managed to test most of
the windows components within a VMware environment. Since i understand that
RAS was THE critical chapter, i tried to configured the Microsft self paced
environement (2 RAS servers with 2 differents phoneline) but it looks like
VMware adds some routing complexity that prevent the communication between
both servers.

Anyway, i wanted to know how you guys test RAS without investing in a second
phoneline?

Thank you,
lcx

Nicolinux

"DLX" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently working on my 70-291 and until RAS, i managed to test most
> of the windows components within a VMware environment. Since i understand
> that RAS was THE critical chapter, i tried to configured the Microsft self
> paced environement (2 RAS servers with 2 differents phoneline) but it
> looks like VMware adds some routing complexity that prevent the
> communication between both servers.
>
> Anyway, i wanted to know how you guys test RAS without investing in a
> second phoneline?
>
> Thank you,
> lcx

I use i phone line simulator. is just a box with two phone plug where you
can link two modems. You can find for a few money

--
Lodo Nicolino
Microsoft Certified Professional

DLX

Thanks! i didn't know about this option.

Actually before buying it, I found an alternative for a VMware environement.
Since I keep getting an error 619 when I try to dial out (or dial in)
between a virtual machine (bridged network) and a physical server on the
same network, I use this solution:

To use & test RAS or VPN connectivity between virtual machine using vmware

1] In the virtual machine configuraton verify that serial port is available,
if not add it. Make sure that u select the appropriate setting that says
"NAMED Pipe" & " this is the server end" or the client end etc

2] start the virtual machines, verify that the serial port is listed under
device manager, uninstall unwanted additional serial ports u may see under
device manager.

3] next, Install & configure ur modem. This would be selected as a
"comminication cable between two machine using serial or parellel ports"
called as the null modem

4] next setup RAS or VPN at the server end

5] setup the othe end as RAS/VPN client

link: http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/lofive...hp/t41913.html

DLX

"Nicolinux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DLX" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm currently working on my 70-291 and until RAS, i managed to test most
>> of the windows components within a VMware environment. Since i understand
>> that RAS was THE critical chapter, i tried to configured the Microsft
>> self paced environement (2 RAS servers with 2 differents phoneline) but
>> it looks like VMware adds some routing complexity that prevent the
>> communication between both servers.
>>
>> Anyway, i wanted to know how you guys test RAS without investing in a
>> second phoneline?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> lcx

> I use i phone line simulator. is just a box with two phone plug where you
> can link two modems. You can find for a few money
>
> --
> Lodo Nicolino
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> 70-282,70-290
> www.liguresistemi80.it
> [root#] cd /var/pub
> [root#] more beer
> ---System Halted--

Jaco Niemand

I have done my 291 about a couple of months ago.
I don't think that the RAS is the "CRITICAL" chapter. Not trying to say that
you shouldn't study it, but I got Loads of questions regarding subnetting,
DNS, DHCP.

I think that is the three topics that is being tested the most in that exam.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...