Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Vista and slow transfers over the network

Vista and slow transfers over the network

Matt

I was hoping that some one out there would have some answers to this question
or atleast ran into it as well. I have a Win2k server running. Its on a P3
750 384Meg of Ram and it runs great. I have a SATA2 controller installed with
a 160Gig WD drive. HDtach shows the write speed at 45MB/sec and read at
90MB/sec. I also have a Vista box Athlon 64 X2 4200 2Gig of RAM and 2 of the
same WD drives. Both on gigabit network. If I copy files from my Vista box to
a mapped drive on the server it transfers at 2MB/sec maybe 4 if I'm lucky on
if I copy from the mapped drive on the server to the Vista box it transfers
at 8 - 10MB/Sec. This is just unacceptable. It is with a bunch of small files
and also large files (700Meg) I have tried everything listed on any webpage I
could find. Nothing seems to help. This is really driving me nuts. I don't
think that bottle neck is on the server. It is snappy and runs better than
expected on what hardware it has. I do run IIS, DNS and AD. Only for studying
for tests. Everything in both systems have the most current drivers. It seems
that this is a Vista issue according to everything I have read online. The
transfers do not stop just slow. Any ideas, suggestions, anything please.
Thanks in advance.
--
Matt
A+, MCP, and MCDST

catwalker63

Matt piffled away vaguely:

> I was hoping that some one out there would have some answers to this question
> or atleast ran into it as well. I have a Win2k server running. Its on a P3
> 750 384Meg of Ram and it runs great. I have a SATA2 controller installed with
> a 160Gig WD drive. HDtach shows the write speed at 45MB/sec and read at
> 90MB/sec. I also have a Vista box Athlon 64 X2 4200 2Gig of RAM and 2 of the
> same WD drives. Both on gigabit network. If I copy files from my Vista box to
> a mapped drive on the server it transfers at 2MB/sec maybe 4 if I'm lucky on
> if I copy from the mapped drive on the server to the Vista box it transfers
> at 8 - 10MB/Sec. This is just unacceptable. It is with a bunch of small files
> and also large files (700Meg) I have tried everything listed on any webpage I
> could find. Nothing seems to help. This is really driving me nuts. I don't
> think that bottle neck is on the server. It is snappy and runs better than
> expected on what hardware it has. I do run IIS, DNS and AD. Only for studying
> for tests. Everything in both systems have the most current drivers. It seems
> that this is a Vista issue according to everything I have read online. The
> transfers do not stop just slow. Any ideas, suggestions, anything please.
> Thanks in advance.

I know the speed of a computer is a function of the speed of the
processor, number of processors, amount and speed of RAM, and speed of
the drive. I can't say for sure but it is possible that the disparity
between the hardware on the server and the hardware on the Vista box are
a large influence here. You also don't state specific reasons why
suspect Vista, so I'm wondering why you are suspecting problems with it?

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Matt

Well there are a few reasons. I have read online that I'm not the only one
with this issue. I have an old P4 laptop running XP Pro that has a 5400RPM
drive that has about 70 – 80% network usage on 100Mb connection to the LAN. I
tried a few other things that make this situation very strange. If I want to
copy a file off of the Vista box to the server. From the server I do start
run \\name\share and then copy the file and then paste it to the drive on the
server the speed is doubled. Network usage goes from 2 -4% to 8 – 10% on both
computers. If I copy the same file to the same location on the server from a
mapped drive on the vista box it is slow. Network usage is 2 – 4%. And that
is with one file that is 750MB. If I copy a bunch of smaller files like MP3’s
it is .5% - 1%. And keep in mind this is on a gigabit connection. This is
totally unacceptable. And it has the same results on gigabit or 100. Both way
are switched not a hub. And the kicker is that at work I run vista and I have
the same slow transfers here as I do at home. We also run gigabit at my work.
--
Matt
A+, MCP, and MCDST

"catwalker63" wrote:

> [...]

> tried a few other things that make this situation very strange. If I want to
> copy a file off of the Vista box to the server. From the server I do start
> run \\name\share and then copy the file and then paste it to the drive on the
> server the speed is doubled. Network usage goes from 2 -4% to 8 – 10% on both
> computers. If I copy the same file to the same location on the server from a
> mapped drive on the vista box it is slow. Network usage is 2 – 4%. And that
> is with one file that is 750MB. If I copy a bunch of smaller files like MP3’s
> it is .5% - 1%. And keep in mind this is on a gigabit connection. This is
> totally unacceptable. And it has the same results on gigabit or 100. Both way
> are switched not a hub. And the kicker is that at work I run vista and I have
> the same slow transfers here as I do at home. We also run gigabit at my work.

OK, that is weird. Have you checked the MS KB? Have you tried
submitting your findings to MS?? Vista's still new and it will still be
a while before they get the bugs shaken out.

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

Red Swingline Stapler

catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> it will still
> be a while before they get the bugs shaken out.

So MS fixes their software the same way I remove flies from the light
fixture on my front patio? If they are as lazy as I am it will be YEARS
before the bugs are gone!

catwalker63

Red Swingline Stapler piffled away vaguely:

> catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> it will still
>> be a while before they get the bugs shaken out.
>>

> So MS fixes their software the same way I remove flies from the light
> fixture on my front patio? If they are as lazy as I am it will be YEARS
> before the bugs are gone!

The light fixture on my front porch open on the bottom. No flies.
Kinda like me migrating from windoze to linux on the desktop.

Did I say that out loud?
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

John R

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well there are a few reasons. I have read online that I'm not the only one
> with this issue. I have an old P4 laptop running XP Pro that has a 5400RPM
> drive that has about 70 - 80% network usage on 100Mb connection to the
> LAN. I
> tried a few other things that make this situation very strange. If I want
> copy a file off of the Vista box to the server. From the server I do start
> run \\name\share and then copy the file and then paste it to the drive on
> the
> server the speed is doubled. Network usage goes from 2 -4% to 8 - 10% on
> both
> computers. If I copy the same file to the same location on the server from
> mapped drive on the vista box it is slow. Network usage is 2 - 4%. And
> that
> is with one file that is 750MB. If I copy a bunch of smaller files like
> MP3's
> it is .5% - 1%. And keep in mind this is on a gigabit connection. This is
> totally unacceptable. And it has the same results on gigabit or 100. Both
> way
> are switched not a hub. And the kicker is that at work I run vista and I
> have
> the same slow transfers here as I do at home. We also run gigabit at my
> work.
> --
> Matt
> A+, MCP, and MCDST

Just for fun, have you check the NIC card settings, ie speed, duplex, etc?
Are you using a hub/switch? If you are using a switch, is it a managed
switch and do the settings on the NIC match the port settings in the switch?
Try manually forcing full duplex and speed, don't depend on auto sense.

Just a thought.

John R

Keith Chilton

Even though I haven't touched vista and have no experience in it. This
thread reinforces my belief to stay away from it until next year at least.
The bugs and the whole "focus on graphics, GUI and the end-user" Microsoft
initiative seems to have created some issues.

By the way, Matt, what version of Vista are you running? And I'm sorry your
having your problems.

By the way, instead of copying and pasting, have you tried using XCOPY to
see if you can transfer files faster, instead of "copy and paste"? See if
using that changes your transfer speeds and network utilization.

I love XCOPY nested into batch scripts. It makes backups so much easier for
the end user if all they have to do is "clicky-clicky" haha

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > studying
>> > for tests. Everything in both systems have the most current drivers. It
>> > seems
>> > that this is a Vista issue according to everything I have read online.
>> > The
>> > transfers do not stop just slow. Any ideas, suggestions, anything
>> > please.
>> > Thanks in advance.

>> I know the speed of a computer is a function of the speed of the
>> processor, number of processors, amount and speed of RAM, and speed of
>> the drive. I can't say for sure but it is possible that the disparity
>> between the hardware on the server and the hardware on the Vista box are
>> a large influence here. You also don't state specific reasons why
>> suspect Vista, so I'm wondering why you are suspecting problems with it?

Ok here is the list of everything that I have done to the best of my memory.
My Vista Ultimate Box is an Athlon 64 X2 4200 2Gig RAM 2 160Gig WD SATA2
drives and a Broadcom gigabit NIC
My server is a P3 750 Coppermine 384Meg of RAM with a SATA1 card and a
160Gig WD drive. It has an Intel Pro 1000/GT card. Both of course are PCI
cards.
All the most updated drivers on every piece of hardware on both the server
and the vista box
The gigabit switch is a brand new 3com unmanaged and the 100Mbps is a 3com
router/5port switch
Issue is on both switches one or the other.
Turned flow control to Tx, Rx/Tx, auto, off doesn’t make a drastic change
Tried netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
Uninstalled Remote Differential Compression
Tried different cables. I’m running Cat5e and I have read and been told that
6 would not make a big difference.
I know that there are a few other things that I have tried but can’t
remember them purely out of frustration. I know this is a Vista issue because
I can copy files like a raped ape from/to the server from an old laptop
running XP Pro. I check the performance monitor in Vista (Which is nice) and
the transfer speed from HDD to HDD on the Vista box it steady at around
100MB/sec with burst up to 150MB/sec and that is with small files. Large file
is better at around steady transfer of 150MB/sec up to 200MB/sec burst. On
the server the HDTach shows its read speed at 90MB/sec. Write speed is half
that. I don’t have the resources to get another Vista box to test/try Vista
to Vista transfers but I do have the same issue running Vista Business at
work. And I’m the guinea pig at work so no one else is running Vista yet. But
it is having the same issues with file transfers.
I found a command from Microsoft call robocopy but have as yet to try. I’m
just not impressed that I have to use a command line command to copy files
just because the way I have been doing it for years doesn’t want to work in
Vista. To be honest this is the only thing that I do not like about Vista. I
at the point that I could try to reload Vista but I really don’t think that
is going to do a bit of good. So I guess its deal with it until MS fixes it.
Thanks to all that have posted I really do appreciate the input.

--
Matt
A+, MCP, and MCDST

"Matt" wrote:

> I was hoping that some one out there would have some answers to this question
> or atleast ran into it as well. I have a Win2k server running. Its on a P3
> 750 384Meg of Ram and it runs great. I have a SATA2 controller installed with
> a 160Gig WD drive. HDtach shows the write speed at 45MB/sec and read at
> 90MB/sec. I also have a Vista box Athlon 64 X2 4200 2Gig of RAM and 2 of the
> same WD drives. Both on gigabit network. If I copy files from my Vista box to
> a mapped drive on the server it transfers at 2MB/sec maybe 4 if I'm lucky on
> if I copy from the mapped drive on the server to the Vista box it transfers
> at 8 - 10MB/Sec. This is just unacceptable. It is with a bunch of small files
> and also large files (700Meg) I have tried everything listed on any webpage I
> could find. Nothing seems to help. This is really driving me nuts. I don't
> think that bottle neck is on the server. It is snappy and runs better than
> expected on what hardware it has. I do run IIS, DNS and AD. Only for studying
> for tests. Everything in both systems have the most current drivers. It seems
> that this is a Vista issue according to everything I have read online. The
> transfers do not stop just slow. Any ideas, suggestions, anything please.
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Matt
> A+, MCP, and MCDST

Matt

Well here is the list of things that I have tried to the best of my memory
First let me list what my computers are that I’m using. I have a Vista
Ultimate Box on an Athlon 64 X2 4200 2Gig or Ram with 2 WD SATA2 drives no
Raid and an integrated Broadcom Gigabit adapter. A Win2k3 Enterprise server
running on a P3 750 384 Meg of Ram with at PCI SATA1 card with a WD 160Gig
and an Intel Pro 1000 GT Nic.
All hardware on both machines has the latest drivers.
I have tried flow control Tx, Rx/Tx, auto, off with no change
I have tried the Netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
Uninstalled Remote Differential Compression
I have a 3com gigabit unmanaged switch and a 10/100 switch/router issue with
both
Tired copying files from an XP box on 100Mbps and don’t have an issue. 70%
network usage when transferring files.
I’m using Cat5e I have read that Cat6 would not make a big difference so I
have not purchased new cables.
The transfer rate on the Vista box on HD to HD is 100MB/sec on average.
Faster with larger files and slower with multiple smaller files.
And the transfer rate on the server is 90MB/sec and write is about half of
that. And both of the systems rate far exceed the 2-8MB/sec transfer via
network. So I have no idea what else it could be other then Vista is a pile.
I have not been able to try Vista to Vista transfer I would really like to
see how that performs.
I know that I have tried other things but I can’t remember out of
frustration.
If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks again
for everyone’s help.

--
Matt
A+, MCP, and MCDST