Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-291 - ouch

70-291 - ouch

jkozlowski

After breezing thru a+, network+, 70-271, 70-272, 70-270 and 70-290 (okay the
290 was hard for me) I met my maker at the 70-291...

I only got a 293?! gah! Did someone get the license plate of that whatever
it was that just hit me?! I thought I had the concepts and theories down and
going in knowing id have my work cut out for me... but wow...

Maincat

"jkozlowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After breezing thru a+, network+, 70-271, 70-272, 70-270 and 70-290 (okay
> the
> 290 was hard for me) I met my maker at the 70-291...
>
> I only got a 293?! gah! Did someone get the license plate of that whatever
> it was that just hit me?! I thought I had the concepts and theories down
> and
> going in knowing id have my work cut out for me... but wow...

Look on the bright side - at least you beat the exam number.

catwalker63

jkozlowski piffled away vaguely:

> After breezing thru a+, network+, 70-271, 70-272, 70-270 and 70-290 (okay the
> 290 was hard for me) I met my maker at the 70-291...
>
> I only got a 293?! gah! Did someone get the license plate of that whatever
> it was that just hit me?! I thought I had the concepts and theories down and
> going in knowing id have my work cut out for me... but wow...

They don't call it "The Beast" for nothin' you know.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Michael D. Alligood

"jkozlowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> After breezing thru a+, network+, 70-271, 70-272, 70-270 and 70-290 (okay the
> 290 was hard for me) I met my maker at the 70-291...
>
> I only got a 293?! gah! Did someone get the license plate of that whatever
> it was that just hit me?! I thought I had the concepts and theories down and
> going in knowing id have my work cut out for me... but wow...

Just out of curiosity, what kind of hands-on experience do you have in
"Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Network Infrastructure?" Also, how did you study for this exam?
--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Keith Chilton

ugh i dont like hearing that report

"jkozlowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After breezing thru a+, network+, 70-271, 70-272, 70-270 and 70-290 (okay
> the
> 290 was hard for me) I met my maker at the 70-291...
>
> I only got a 293?! gah! Did someone get the license plate of that whatever
> it was that just hit me?! I thought I had the concepts and theories down
> and
> going in knowing id have my work cut out for me... but wow...

jkozlowski

I pretty much have 0 experience at hands on in the windows 2003 server arena.
(Im not a network engineer, just a computer tech for the last 20 years) I
used some cbt videos. I skimmed over the Sybex 70-291 self assessment manual
as well... I really thought I had the concepts down for this puppy. I guess I
will go back to the good old MS-Press books, they do seem to be the best. I
got a good cheap deal on that sybex book and thought what the heck...

Im not going to give up but once I do pass this test, I believe i'm gonna
stay at msca and not go for the mcse.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> "jkozlowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > After breezing thru a+, network+, 70-271, 70-272, 70-270 and 70-290 (okay the
> > 290 was hard for me) I met my maker at the 70-291...
> >
> > I only got a 293?! gah! Did someone get the license plate of that whatever
> > it was that just hit me?! I thought I had the concepts and theories down and
> > going in knowing id have my work cut out for me... but wow...

> Just out of curiosity, what kind of hands-on experience do you have in
> "Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> Network Infrastructure?" Also, how did you study for this exam?
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Michael D. Alligood

"jkozlowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I pretty much have 0 experience at hands on in the windows 2003 server arena.
> (Im not a network engineer, just a computer tech for the last 20 years)

Here is the audience profile (recommended experience) for the MCSA
certification:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx#ETB

Here are the tested objectives for the 70-291 exam:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx#E6E

My question is what in the world made you take this, or any of the
MCSA/MCSE exams with ZERO hands-on experience?!? Please allow me to ask
another question as well. What if you passed this exam? No wait, what if
you passed the entire MCSA certification. With ZERO experience, wouldn't
you think that your MCSA certificate was meaningless? I mean you would
have obtained a System Administrator credential in a Windows 2003
network environment without having laid on finger on the technology...

What do you think this does for the MCSA/MCSE certification?

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

catwalker63

jkozlowski piffled away vaguely:

> I pretty much have 0 experience at hands on in the windows 2003 server arena.
> (Im not a network engineer, just a computer tech for the last 20 years) I
> used some cbt videos. I skimmed over the Sybex 70-291 self assessment manual
> as well... I really thought I had the concepts down for this puppy. I guess I
> will go back to the good old MS-Press books, they do seem to be the best. I
> got a good cheap deal on that sybex book and thought what the heck...
>
> Im not going to give up but once I do pass this test, I believe i'm gonna
> stay at msca and not go for the mcse.

While I'm not the biggest advocate for MS certs, I wouldn't base your
decision to quit on this exam. It is by far the hardest for most people
for many reasons.

Many newer IT folks do not have experience with the range of alphabet
soup being examined. This will require some practical experience but
of all the exams, this one has had the most impact on my
understanding. Get some equipment you can use or setup virtual servers
and practice. You won't get it until you do it.

Granted there are some useless in the real world technologies since
using a Windows server as a router or a vpn solution is ludicrous,
nevertheless you will learn universal concepts.

I took the network infrastructure exam second after the server exam.
Those two took me the longest. After that, I was passing the rest
every 4-6 weeks.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

catwalker63

Michael D. Alligood piffled away vaguely:

> "jkozlowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I pretty much have 0 experience at hands on in the windows 2003 server arena.
>> (Im not a network engineer, just a computer tech for the last 20 years)

> My question is what in the world made you take this, or any of the
> MCSA/MCSE exams with ZERO hands-on experience?!? Please allow me to ask
> another question as well. What if you passed this exam? No wait, what if
> you passed the entire MCSA certification. With ZERO experience, wouldn't
> you think that your MCSA certificate was meaningless? I mean you would
> have obtained a System Administrator credential in a Windows 2003
> network environment without having laid on finger on the technology...
>
> What do you think this does for the MCSA/MCSE certification?

And this is the crux of the problem. It is actually possible to obtain
the cert with ZERO experience. The damage is done.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

Keith Chilton

Michael

I second your comments towards this guy. Don't worry about it that much
though. If he were to get hired by somebody for that certification, he would
just as easily be seen as "replaceable due to a lack of knowledge".
Employers want results and in a timely fashion. Somebody without the
knowledge and experience to produce this will not do very well with most
employers. Although at some he might be able to BS his way for awhile. All
in all, I believe in the weed out theory and in the dynamic, fast-paced
world we call the "business world".

Nobody should go after a certification without having the experience. I know
I'm not wasting my money on the CCNA because I know nothing about them.
Furthermore, I would not feel very confident at an interview for a job
requiring the CCNA. To me it's almost like, well, lying.

Keith

Ouch!! Smokey Computer Support 2 05-17-2005 10:11 PM
OE/MAC (Ouch!) - Quoting With ">" Blinky the Shark Computer Support 19 01-04-2005 01:12 PM
RadioButtonList in Repeater Control...Ouch Darren ASP .Net 1 09-28-2004 06:10 PM
45 rootkits listed on my system? Ouch!! Lance Malish Computer Support 12 04-27-2004 09:04 PM
10D Happy dance (but ouch my wallet <grin>) Dutch Digital Photography 10 09-23-2003 04:17 PM

Advertisments