Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > opinion on some books

opinion on some books

Keith Chilton

Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
server based on the books I just bought? I have yet to read them but do you
know of any areas they will be lacking in to pass those tests?

Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
Windows Server 2003 Inside Out

--
Keith Chilton - MCDST, MCP
Data Services Technician

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
representative independent of this message.

AJR

Consider Windows Server 2003. Administrator's Pocket Consultant by William
R. Stanek. It is not a study guide as such, however, in my opinio, it
provides all you need to know.

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
> server based on the books I just bought? I have yet to read them but do
> you know of any areas they will be lacking in to pass those tests?
>
> Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
> Windows Server 2003 Inside Out
>
> --
> Keith Chilton - MCDST, MCP
> Data Services Technician
> River Valley Financial Bank
> 430 Clifty Drive
> Madison, IN 47250
> 812-273-4949 ext 348
> Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>
> ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality Footer****
> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
> you
> are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
> delivery
> of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message
> anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us
> immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email
> messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
> and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed
> by
> my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
> representative independent of this message.

catwalker63

Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

> Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
> server based on the books I just bought? I have yet to read them but do you
> know of any areas they will be lacking in to pass those tests?
>
> Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
> Windows Server 2003 Inside Out

No. I would get exam prep guides for each exam. The above are good
reference and Minassi's book is a very enjoyable read. He'll give it to
you straight how to use the product in the real world. The exams are
not real-world, however, so you will need materials that cover the exam
objectives for the exams. This will be especially critical for 70-291,
AKA alphabet soup, or The Beast.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Keith Chilton

What do you mean by exam prep guides (specifically who are the authors of
such guides)? I am trying to avoid buying the MS press books. What do you
think is the best book for The Beast? I am going to probably have to buy
more books. Maybe I should ask this again after I have read what I have.
Then I can decide what isn't covered in the books I need to learn more
about.

Thanks for the help

Michael D. Alligood

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
> server based on the books I just bought?

<snipped>

Unfortunately no, I do not think you will pass with those books. Keith,
remember this is a whole other world dealing with the server side of
things. There is a lot to consider and absorb with the 291 exam. You
need to practice on a Windows 2003 Server. There are tons of options out
there for you, but I recommend Virtual PC 2007 with a evaluation copy of
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server that you can get from any MS Press MCSE
book. Understanding the services with Windows 2003 Server is a *MUST* in
order to negotiate this exam.

Think about this; you are the man at your job. You *NEED* to know this
technology and how to fix it fast *WHEN* it breaks. Having worked on it
in a lab situation, you will be more familiar with the interface and how
things work.

Just my humble opinions!

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Keith Chilton

I'm thinking I could pass the 290 without buying the press book and lots of
getting familiar with everything on it while I'm at work working on it. We
just got a new one. But I probably will not pass the 291 without having it
available for me to mess around with it on my PC at home. Thank you for the
help guys

FYI, I did make the 2003 server a domain controller and DHCP server on
Friday. Pretty soon i'll set up DNS server on it. None of these are that
difficult in my opinion to do. But I definitely dont know all the details I
need to know.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23W$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
>> server based on the books I just bought?

> <snipped>
>
> Unfortunately no, I do not think you will pass with those books. Keith,
> remember this is a whole other world dealing with the server side of
> things. There is a lot to consider and absorb with the 291 exam. You need
> to practice on a Windows 2003 Server. There are tons of options out there
> for you, but I recommend Virtual PC 2007 with a evaluation copy of Windows
> 2003 Enterprise Server that you can get from any MS Press MCSE book.
> Understanding the services with Windows 2003 Server is a *MUST* in order
> to negotiate this exam.
>
> Think about this; you are the man at your job. You *NEED* to know this
> technology and how to fix it fast *WHEN* it breaks. Having worked on it in
> a lab situation, you will be more familiar with the interface and how
> things work.
>
> Just my humble opinions!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

John R

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking I could pass the 290 without buying the press book and lots
> of getting familiar with everything on it while I'm at work working on it.
> We just got a new one. But I probably will not pass the 291 without having
> it available for me to mess around with it on my PC at home. Thank you for
> the help guys
>
> FYI, I did make the 2003 server a domain controller and DHCP server on
> Friday. Pretty soon i'll set up DNS server on it. None of these are that
> difficult in my opinion to do. But I definitely dont know all the details
> I need to know.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23W$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Do you guys think i will pass the tests (290 and 291) for windows 2003
>>> server based on the books I just bought?

>> <snipped>
>>
>> Unfortunately no, I do not think you will pass with those books. Keith,
>> remember this is a whole other world dealing with the server side of
>> things. There is a lot to consider and absorb with the 291 exam. You need
>> to practice on a Windows 2003 Server. There are tons of options out there
>> for you, but I recommend Virtual PC 2007 with a evaluation copy of
>> Windows 2003 Enterprise Server that you can get from any MS Press MCSE
>> book. Understanding the services with Windows 2003 Server is a *MUST* in
>> order to negotiate this exam.
>>
>> Think about this; you are the man at your job. You *NEED* to know this
>> technology and how to fix it fast *WHEN* it breaks. Having worked on it
>> in a lab situation, you will be more familiar with the interface and how
>> things work.
>>
>> Just my humble opinions!
>>
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
>> The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
>> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the
MCSE core exams 290, 291, 293, and 294. I found them *very* helpful. No
single training source is going to cover 100 % of any exam, but these books
are well written, and for what they cover, they cover well. I also used the
TestOut videos and lots of OJT, but I don't think I would have passed any of
those tests without the MS Press books. What I like most about them is that
they include labs, and of course the sample objectives tests and sample
practice tests. As Michael pointed out, they include an eval copy of Server
2003 as well (although you can download that I think). They are also great
reference books for when my CRS acts up (Can't Remember Stuff).

Check into buying books at Amazon.Com or Quantumbooks.com for the best
prices.

Good Luck,

John

John R

"John R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the

Sorry Michael, that was simply a typo, not a freudian slip

Michael D. Alligood

"John R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "John R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the

> Sorry Michael, that was simply a typo, not a freudian slip

Actually it is spelled both ways!

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Mondonj

MS Pressbooks are critical to pass the exams. They guide you step by step
with nice lab scenarios for you try. I highly recommend buying the complete
kit as you usually get a discount code for the exams as well.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> "John R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > "John R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > I have to agree with Micheal here. I bought the MS Press set of 4 for the

> > Sorry Michael, that was simply a typo, not a freudian slip

> Actually it is spelled both ways!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Give me some advice about some books of Java programing! yuyazhang Java 14 04-29-2006 11:13 AM
Some Opinion About this Book Jean Carlos MCAD 0 11-17-2004 08:56 PM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Finished Courses, Selecting Books for Exam Preparation (List of Books) Mac MCSD 2 12-17-2003 01:48 PM

Advertisments