Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Passed 70-291 MCSA 2003 now complete

Passed 70-291 MCSA 2003 now complete

Nickoftime@Rocketmail.com

I started about 7 months ago taking the tests to complete my MCSA and
today I passed my final test 70-291 (got an 800), it was a by far the
most difficult compared to the others I took (70-270, 70-271, 70-272,
70-290).

I used The McGrawHill books (good coverage but a little outdated), the
Oreily MCSE in a Nutshell (very nice review, it is to the point and
covers what you absolutly need to know before you head in, but it does
not got into much detail) and the Transcender to prep for the exam
(ehhh, it was ok but I think I could have got by without it)
I also have been working in IT for 10+ year and working with Windows
2000 & 2003 server for quite a while but in a small environment.

Anyway I just wanted to post my opinion of the test in case anyone
else who is getting ready to take it wants to read these posts as I
did before I took it. I found many of the post here very helpful.

Thanks

Nick

Mike

Hi Nik,
I want to certificate myself , how do you suggest to start ? Now I'm
reading Micrsoft Mcsa/mcse 70-290 training kit .-
And I bought two certification cram books fot 70-290&291 what do you
think about ?
How many time you spent for one exam ?

best regards
Mike

Nickoftime@Rocketmail.com

On Apr 13, 12:07 pm, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Nik,
> I want to certificate myself , how do you suggest to start ? Now I'm
> reading Micrsoft Mcsa/mcse 70-290 training kit .-
> And I bought two certification cram books fot 70-290&291 what do you
> think about ?
> How many time you spent for one exam ?
>
> best regards
> Mike
>
> On 11 Apr, 19:57, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > I started about 7 months ago taking the tests to complete my MCSA and
> > today I passed my final test 70-291 (got an 800), it was a by far the
> > most difficult compared to the others I took (70-270, 70-271, 70-272,
> > 70-290).

> > I used The McGrawHill books (good coverage but a little outdated), the
> > Oreily MCSE in a Nutshell (very nice review, it is to the point and
> > covers what you absolutly need to know before you head in, but it does
> > not got into much detail) and the Transcender to prep for the exam
> > (ehhh, it was ok but I think I could have got by without it)
> > I also have been working in IT for 10+ year and working with Windows
> > 2000 & 2003 server for quite a while but in a small environment.

> > Anyway I just wanted to post my opinion of the test in case anyone
> > else who is getting ready to take it wants to read these posts as I
> > did before I took it. I found many of the post here very helpful.

> > Thanks

> > Nick- Hide quoted text -

> I want to certificate myself , how do you suggest to start ?

Well really it depends on how much previous experience you have, for
me I used a combination of the books I bought, the experience I have
had in the past, the trancender exams and I setup a test lab with 3
PC's and used that to practice with. So I guess I would read the books
you bought and try to at the very least setup some sort of a test lab
if you can and practice alot. If you don't have access to a test lab
and you do not have previous experience with Windows 2003 server then
I think it will be pretty tough. Especially to pass 70-291.

> How many time you spent for one exam ?

I spent around a month on 70-290. But for 70-291 I took a little over
two months because it covered alot of different topics in depth. Also
because it covered some things in depth that I was not overly familiar
with such as IPSec and some of the DNS portions, the environment that
I work in is pretty small (4 - 5 servers) (200 users) so even though I
used DNS, RRAS, WSUS, DHCP I did not use them some of them in the
scope that the exam wanted you to.

As far as 70-270, 70-271 & 70-272 I found these to befairly easy and
spent a few weeks reviewing material for each before I took the tests.
So if you have not passed these I would start there and move on, it
may help.

Nick