Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Seeking Book Suggestions

Seeking Book Suggestions

Tim Mueller

I have books on MCSA/E exam prep, but I really need some books written
for Sys Admins to help me do my job, not to pass the exams. Any
suggestions for real life help books on managing Server 2003 and XP?
Thanks. -Tim

Tim Warner

Hey Tim,

I have gained a great deal of practical knowledge from both the
"Inside Out" and "Administrator's Companion" series from Microsoft
Press.

I agree with you that the test-prep books can be long on theory (and,
frankly, some product evangelism and marketing fluff) and sometimes
short on practical grist. That said, the aforementioned titles are
chock-full of great info.

Also, be sure to check out O'Reilly Press' stuff on Server and XP.

Kind regards,
Tim

---
Tim Warner, MCSE, MCITP (DBA), MCT
tldubb at gmail dot com

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:43:41 -0700, Tim Mueller <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have books on MCSA/E exam prep, but I really need some books written
>for Sys Admins to help me do my job, not to pass the exams. Any
>suggestions for real life help books on managing Server 2003 and XP?
>Thanks. -Tim

catwalker63

Tim Warner piffled away vaguely:

> Hey Tim,
>
> I have gained a great deal of practical knowledge from both the
> "Inside Out" and "Administrator's Companion" series from Microsoft
> Press.
>
> I agree with you that the test-prep books can be long on theory (and,
> frankly, some product evangelism and marketing fluff) and sometimes
> short on practical grist. That said, the aforementioned titles are
> chock-full of great info.
>
> Also, be sure to check out O'Reilly Press' stuff on Server and XP.
>
> Kind regards,
> Tim
>

> ---
> Tim Warner, MCSE, MCITP (DBA), MCT
> tldubb at gmail dot com
>

> On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:43:41 -0700, Tim Mueller <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have books on MCSA/E exam prep, but I really need some books written
>>for Sys Admins to help me do my job, not to pass the exams. Any
>>suggestions for real life help books on managing Server 2003 and XP?
>>Thanks. -Tim

Mark Minasi also writes some excellent Mastering . . . books -- Sybex
press. He's been writing them since NT 3 and they are informative with
real world examples. He also writes books that are enjoyable to read.
The server book is huge but it doesn't read like a dry manual.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43