Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Question about winnt32.exe parm switches

Question about winnt32.exe parm switches

Tech

Studying for my MCP I've come across something in which I'm being tripped up
by the wording.. any help would be appreciated.

Per the book:
/dushareathname
Specifies a share on which you previously downloaded DU files (updated files
for use with setup) from MS d/l center.

When run from your installation share and used with /duprepare, it prepares
the updated files for use in networkbased client installations.

When used w/o /duprepare and run on a client, it specifies that the client
installation will use the updated files on the share specified in the path.

Now.. I've read this over and over.. there are 3 concepts stated here.
Perhaps it is the way it is being stated.. but it is losing me in
translation. Please help.
--
Thanks,
Tech

Tjunior

As I understand, you have to run /duprepareath first, then you run winnt32
/dushareath. Or, you can the switch the same time, winnt32 /duprepareath
/dushareath

For example, if you save update files into a folder named updates, you run
winnt32 /duprepare:updates to prepare the files. Then, you run winnt32
/dushare:updates when you are ready to install Windows XP.

If you use winnt32 without /duprepare, the setup will try to check Microsoft
Windows update web site and downloads any updates found. This is true if you
have a live Internet connection during the installation.