Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-291: Name resolution process clarifications...

Reply
Thread Tools

70-291: Name resolution process clarifications...

 
 
M D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2006
Hi everybody again,

Another couple of questions for you gurus

Which of the followžing is the correct (default) name resolution process in
win 2000/2003/XP?

a) DNS res first and Netbios res after (as I thought):

DNS Cache -> HOSTS file -> DNS query -> Netbios cache -> WINS query ->
Broadcast Netbios query - LMHOSTS

or

b) DNS res first and Netbios res after (as states in MOC 2276B for netbios
H-node type ):
Netbios cache -> NBNS (WINS) query -> Broadcast Netbios query - LMHOSTS ->
DNS Cache -> HOSTS file -> DNS query

Can the Netbios node type deal with the DNS name resolution process in any
way?
(In the PCs I installed I noticed that the node type was "Unknown" (0x0)
instead of Broadcast as It should be set as the default!)

Sadly, that doesn't make any sense to me!

thanks for any hints!

MD


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Montreal MCT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2006
Hi MD,

HOSTS and LMHOSTS files should be all the way at the bottom. Make sure DNS
is first, NetBIOS is second.

M
--
MDG, MCT
MCSA (2003), MCSA (2000), MCDST.
Certified Small Business Specialist
Visit my blog at http://www.mitpro.ca/Blogs/tabid/59/...2/Default.aspx


"M D" wrote:

> Hi everybody again,
>
> Another couple of questions for you gurus
>
> Which of the followìing is the correct (default) name resolution process in
> win 2000/2003/XP?
>
> a) DNS res first and Netbios res after (as I thought):
>
> DNS Cache -> HOSTS file -> DNS query -> Netbios cache -> WINS query ->
> Broadcast Netbios query - LMHOSTS
>
> or
>
> b) DNS res first and Netbios res after (as states in MOC 2276B for netbios
> H-node type ):
> Netbios cache -> NBNS (WINS) query -> Broadcast Netbios query - LMHOSTS ->
> DNS Cache -> HOSTS file -> DNS query
>
> Can the Netbios node type deal with the DNS name resolution process in any
> way?
> (In the PCs I installed I noticed that the node type was "Unknown" (0x0)
> instead of Broadcast as It should be set as the default!)
>
> Sadly, that doesn't make any sense to me!
>
> thanks for any hints!
>
> MD
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2006

> HOSTS and LMHOSTS files should be all the way at the bottom. Make sure
> DNS
> is first, NetBIOS is second.


Hi Montreal MCT!

That's what I thought too (apart from the fact that HOSTS file, as it
contains DNS pre-setted name to ip resolution, should be the 2nd step in my
opinion).

The problem is that I tried to sniff the traffic and all I saw was NBT
traffic...

As I replied inthe other thread I will try to see if MS Virtual Server 2005
Fixes this behaviour...
I'll let you know
Thanks again

MD


 
Reply With Quote
 
M D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2006
Hi everybody!

This post just to let you know that I've moved this question to a perhaps
more pertinet group:

microsoft.public.wondows.server.dns

Please post any comment there.

thanks a lot

MD


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
module name versus function name resolution conflict. rocky Python 2 07-07-2009 09:44 AM
get process name from process id perlcoder Perl Misc 2 07-17-2008 05:33 PM
how can I find out the process ids with a process name herman Python 5 09-04-2007 11:05 PM
How do you change the Modelsim Cursor Resolution (not simulation resolution) Andrew FPGA VHDL 0 09-26-2005 04:05 AM
ISO Resolution Chart and Printing Resolution Jack Yeazel Digital Photography 0 08-11-2003 11:19 PM



Advertisments