Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > how to find out if exams have changed?

Reply
Thread Tools

how to find out if exams have changed?

 
 
djc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume MS will
update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice test (like
transcender) which does not match the current exam info.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AJR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
SUS is still applicable - has been "renamed" WSUS

"djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oy6i10%(E-Mail Removed)...
> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume MS
> will update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice test (like
> transcender) which does not match the current exam info.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BD [MCNGP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
>>Did you see what AJR ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us with in
%23c9Vhx$(E-Mail Removed)?<<
> SUS is still applicable - has been "renamed" WSUS
>

FYI. SUS hasn't just been *renamed* to WSUS. As of Dec 6, 2006, M$ will no
longer support SUS and will have made a full transition to WSUS. And...since
August 2005, SUS has not been available for download (unless of course you find
it from a 3rd party), which I don't suggest doing unless you've got a death wish
for your server

SUS was Software Update Services
WSUS is Windows Server Update Services

Here, I'll let you read for yourself.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...tion/faqs.mspx



> "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oy6i10%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
>> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume
>> MS will update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice
>> test (like transcender) which does not match the current exam info.

>

For you djc, I suggest following up on the Transcender thing, if you purchased
it through them, they may update your software (I don't rightly know)...but
there's no harm in asking, right?!

Or, you can just go with one of the two companies that have actually been
certified to produce M$ Practice Exams

MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware

--
BD
MCNGP #51
-- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
-- www.CertGuard.com; www.SWPPM.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
djc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
Thats what I thought. So do you know if the test has changed or do I just
learn SUS for the test? More importantly, how do I check on any test being
updated?

"BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>Did you see what AJR ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us with in

> %23c9Vhx$(E-Mail Removed)?<<
>> SUS is still applicable - has been "renamed" WSUS
>>

> FYI. SUS hasn't just been *renamed* to WSUS. As of Dec 6, 2006, M$ will no
> longer support SUS and will have made a full transition to WSUS.
> And...since
> August 2005, SUS has not been available for download (unless of course you
> find
> it from a 3rd party), which I don't suggest doing unless you've got a
> death wish
> for your server
>
> SUS was Software Update Services
> WSUS is Windows Server Update Services
>
> Here, I'll let you read for yourself.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...tion/faqs.mspx
>
>
>
>> "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Oy6i10%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
>>> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume
>>> MS will update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice
>>> test (like transcender) which does not match the current exam info.

>>

> For you djc, I suggest following up on the Transcender thing, if you
> purchased
> it through them, they may update your software (I don't rightly
> know)...but
> there's no harm in asking, right?!
>
> Or, you can just go with one of the two companies that have actually been
> certified to produce M$ Practice Exams
>
> MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware
>
> --
> BD
> MCNGP #51
> -- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
> -- www.CertGuard.com; www.SWPPM.com
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Blackmetal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
I believe there is no way to know if a test has been updated or changed,
because it would mean the disclosure of the test content and that's now
allowed.

"djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thats what I thought. So do you know if the test has changed or do I just
> learn SUS for the test? More importantly, how do I check on any test being
> updated?
>
> "BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>Did you see what AJR ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us with in

>> %23c9Vhx$(E-Mail Removed)?<<
>>> SUS is still applicable - has been "renamed" WSUS
>>>

>> FYI. SUS hasn't just been *renamed* to WSUS. As of Dec 6, 2006, M$ will
>> no
>> longer support SUS and will have made a full transition to WSUS.
>> And...since
>> August 2005, SUS has not been available for download (unless of course
>> you find
>> it from a 3rd party), which I don't suggest doing unless you've got a
>> death wish
>> for your server
>>
>> SUS was Software Update Services
>> WSUS is Windows Server Update Services
>>
>> Here, I'll let you read for yourself.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...tion/faqs.mspx
>>
>>
>>
>>> "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Oy6i10%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
>>>> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume
>>>> MS will update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice
>>>> test (like transcender) which does not match the current exam info.
>>>

>> For you djc, I suggest following up on the Transcender thing, if you
>> purchased
>> it through them, they may update your software (I don't rightly
>> know)...but
>> there's no harm in asking, right?!
>>
>> Or, you can just go with one of the two companies that have actually been
>> certified to produce M$ Practice Exams
>>
>> MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware
>>
>> --
>> BD
>> MCNGP #51
>> -- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
>> -- www.CertGuard.com; www.SWPPM.com
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Blackmetal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
Correction to my own posting:

I tried to say "THAT'S NOT ALLOWED" and I wrote: "That's now allowed".

I make the clarification before being crucified!!!

"Blackmetal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I believe there is no way to know if a test has been updated or changed,
>because it would mean the disclosure of the test content and that's now
>allowed.
>
> "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thats what I thought. So do you know if the test has changed or do I just
>> learn SUS for the test? More importantly, how do I check on any test
>> being updated?
>>
>> "BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>Did you see what AJR ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us with in
>>> %23c9Vhx$(E-Mail Removed)?<<
>>>> SUS is still applicable - has been "renamed" WSUS
>>>>
>>> FYI. SUS hasn't just been *renamed* to WSUS. As of Dec 6, 2006, M$ will
>>> no
>>> longer support SUS and will have made a full transition to WSUS.
>>> And...since
>>> August 2005, SUS has not been available for download (unless of course
>>> you find
>>> it from a 3rd party), which I don't suggest doing unless you've got a
>>> death wish
>>> for your server
>>>
>>> SUS was Software Update Services
>>> WSUS is Windows Server Update Services
>>>
>>> Here, I'll let you read for yourself.
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...tion/faqs.mspx
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:Oy6i10%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
>>>>> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume
>>>>> MS will update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice
>>>>> test (like transcender) which does not match the current exam info.
>>>>
>>> For you djc, I suggest following up on the Transcender thing, if you
>>> purchased
>>> it through them, they may update your software (I don't rightly
>>> know)...but
>>> there's no harm in asking, right?!
>>>
>>> Or, you can just go with one of the two companies that have actually
>>> been
>>> certified to produce M$ Practice Exams
>>>
>>> MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware
>>>
>>> --
>>> BD
>>> MCNGP #51
>>> -- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
>>> -- www.CertGuard.com; www.SWPPM.com
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Montreal MCSA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
Hi DJC,

Unfortunately there is a bit of a problem with issues like this. Once a
test has been created it is sealed - that is, it cannot be changed, it can
only be replaced which means rewriting it, beta testing, reviewing, then
releasing it. That is just not a viable situation in a situation such as
this, where the technology changes somewhat but not significantly enough to
warrant a re-write.

70-290 has not been changed with the retiring of SUS and the advent of WSUS.
As I am not on the team I cannot confirm this, but I would bet that there is
a team at Microsoft who reviewed the material, looked at the questions on
70-290 that involved SUS (if there are any ) and went through it to
determine if they were specific to SUS, or would they apply equally if you
were to replace SUS with WSUS.

One of the difficulties faced by test creators is the constant changes in
technologies. Should exams be recreated when updates are released for a
product? It is not viable. Therefore if you were to take a question on
Exchange Server 2003 today and there was a question (note I have never taken
this so I am not disclosing anything NDA) about the maximum size of an
Exchange database, the correct answer would be sixteen gigabytes, even though
Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2003 increased that limit to seventy-five
gigabytes. Exams are written based on the RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
version of a product, and not on patches or updates or service packs.

Does that make it more difficult to study? Yes. There are cases when you
have to remember outdated information. However to flip that around, it is
still relevant until every single install of every single Microsoft product
in the world is properly patched!

Good luck and let us know how you do on 70-290!

M
--
MDG, MCSA
MCSA (2003), MCSA (2000)
Certified Small Business Specialist
Visit my blog at http://www.mitpro.ca/Blogs/tabid/55/...2/Default.aspx


"djc" wrote:

> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume MS will
> update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice test (like
> transcender) which does not match the current exam info.
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
djc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
ok. Thanks.

"Montreal MCSA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi DJC,
>
> Unfortunately there is a bit of a problem with issues like this. Once a
> test has been created it is sealed - that is, it cannot be changed, it can
> only be replaced which means rewriting it, beta testing, reviewing, then
> releasing it. That is just not a viable situation in a situation such as
> this, where the technology changes somewhat but not significantly enough
> to
> warrant a re-write.
>
> 70-290 has not been changed with the retiring of SUS and the advent of
> WSUS.
> As I am not on the team I cannot confirm this, but I would bet that there
> is
> a team at Microsoft who reviewed the material, looked at the questions on
> 70-290 that involved SUS (if there are any ) and went through it to
> determine if they were specific to SUS, or would they apply equally if you
> were to replace SUS with WSUS.
>
> One of the difficulties faced by test creators is the constant changes in
> technologies. Should exams be recreated when updates are released for a
> product? It is not viable. Therefore if you were to take a question on
> Exchange Server 2003 today and there was a question (note I have never
> taken
> this so I am not disclosing anything NDA) about the maximum size of an
> Exchange database, the correct answer would be sixteen gigabytes, even
> though
> Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2003 increased that limit to
> seventy-five
> gigabytes. Exams are written based on the RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
> version of a product, and not on patches or updates or service packs.
>
> Does that make it more difficult to study? Yes. There are cases when you
> have to remember outdated information. However to flip that around, it is
> still relevant until every single install of every single Microsoft
> product
> in the world is properly patched!
>
> Good luck and let us know how you do on 70-290!
>
> M
> --
> MDG, MCSA
> MCSA (2003), MCSA (2000)
> Certified Small Business Specialist
> Visit my blog at http://www.mitpro.ca/Blogs/tabid/55/...2/Default.aspx
>
>
> "djc" wrote:
>
>> for example, I just bought the transcender for 290. I see lots of SUS
>> information in this exam. Now that SUS is no longer current I assume MS
>> will
>> update the 290 exam. My fear is that I may buy a practice test (like
>> transcender) which does not match the current exam info.
>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lnkwizard2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006

"Blackmetal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Correction to my own posting:
>
> I tried to say "THAT'S NOT ALLOWED" and I wrote: "That's now allowed".
>
> I make the clarification before being crucified!!!
>


Darn it, now I have to put the cross away. You sure know
how to spoil a person's fun. I hope Lowe's will give me
a refund on the spikes.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
find it, cut it out, find next oldyork90 Perl Misc 5 01-22-2012 08:22 AM
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 3 02-14-2011 05:28 AM
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 0 02-10-2011 05:18 PM
Find.find does not find orphaned links? Wybo Dekker Ruby 1 11-15-2005 02:50 PM



Advertisments