Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > 70-270 winnt.sif bootdisk out of memory problem

70-270 winnt.sif bootdisk out of memory problem

DebB

I can't seem to get my machine to complete an install from the CD, using a
bootdiskette, and it gives an out of memory message before it's finished
copying all the files to the HDD.

This is the closest I've managed to come to getting it going, but not close
enough . I've tried himemsys, LH & emm386 (dos 6.22 ver), and RAM disk,
but all to no avail. In addition I've scoured other boot disks available on
the net, but they have the same issue.

I'm ready to adopt any suggestions as I'd really like to feel confident that
I have this problem pinned.

Your help would be truly appreciated.

DebB

McKinley Morganfield

DebB wrote:
> I can't seem to get my machine to complete an install from the CD, using a
> bootdiskette, and it gives an out of memory message before it's finished
> copying all the files to the HDD.
>
> This is the closest I've managed to come to getting it going, but not close
> enough . I've tried himemsys, LH & emm386 (dos 6.22 ver), and RAM disk,
> but all to no avail. In addition I've scoured other boot disks available on
> the net, but they have the same issue.
>
> I'm ready to adopt any suggestions as I'd really like to feel confident that
> I have this problem pinned.
>
> Your help would be truly appreciated.
>
> DebB

Is this an upgrade or "Fresh" install? Does the machine meet minimum
hardware requirements?

DebB

Hey thanks for responding.

This is a clean install on a NTFS formatted drive and meets the minimum
requirements. I'm just doing this as part of the exercises in 70-270 MS
Press. I can install just fine using RIS, or directly from the CD onto this
machine.

The problem is in getting the install to work using the winnt.sif and a
batch file to do an unattended. It doesn't complete the copying of the files
to the HDD. I think I will try using my bootdisk on another PC though,
because there could be a faulty RAM chip, even though this hasn't prevented
installations to the problem machine, using other methods, in the past. It's
one of two test machines that I have available.

If anyone else has overcome this type of problem, can they let me know?

Much appreciated.

DebB

"McKinley Morganfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%wpwg.5909$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DebB wrote:
>> I can't seem to get my machine to complete an install from the CD, using
>> a bootdiskette, and it gives an out of memory message before it's
>> finished copying all the files to the HDD.
>>
>> This is the closest I've managed to come to getting it going, but not
>> close enough . I've tried himemsys, LH & emm386 (dos 6.22 ver), and
>> RAM disk, but all to no avail. In addition I've scoured other boot disks
>> available on the net, but they have the same issue.
>>
>> I'm ready to adopt any suggestions as I'd really like to feel confident
>> that I have this problem pinned.
>>
>> Your help would be truly appreciated.
>>
>> DebB

> Is this an upgrade or "Fresh" install? Does the machine meet minimum
> hardware requirements?

McKinley Morganfield

DebB wrote:
> Hey thanks for responding.
>
> This is a clean install on a NTFS formatted drive and meets the minimum
> requirements. I'm just doing this as part of the exercises in 70-270 MS
> Press. I can install just fine using RIS, or directly from the CD onto this
> machine.
>
> The problem is in getting the install to work using the winnt.sif and a
> batch file to do an unattended. It doesn't complete the copying of the files
> to the HDD. I think I will try using my bootdisk on another PC though,
> because there could be a faulty RAM chip, even though this hasn't prevented
> installations to the problem machine, using other methods, in the past. It's
> one of two test machines that I have available.
>
> If anyone else has overcome this type of problem, can they let me know?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> DebB
>
> "McKinley Morganfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%wpwg.5909$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> DebB wrote:
>>> I can't seem to get my machine to complete an install from the CD, using
>>> a bootdiskette, and it gives an out of memory message before it's
>>> finished copying all the files to the HDD.
>>>
>>> This is the closest I've managed to come to getting it going, but not
>>> close enough . I've tried himemsys, LH & emm386 (dos 6.22 ver), and
>>> RAM disk, but all to no avail. In addition I've scoured other boot disks
>>> available on the net, but they have the same issue.
>>>
>>> I'm ready to adopt any suggestions as I'd really like to feel confident
>>> that I have this problem pinned.
>>>
>>> Your help would be truly appreciated.
>>>
>>> DebB

>> Is this an upgrade or "Fresh" install? Does the machine meet minimum
>> hardware requirements?

I have never run into this problem and believe me I use the unattended
install ALL the time. If it is bombing out during file copy, you could
be correct on the assumption that a faulty RAM chip could be the
culprit. Try using the disk in another machine. I'd bet it works since
the winnt.sif and unattended.bat have nothing to do with initial install
file copy. Try finding a memory diag program to run on your machine.

Bootdisk Help kenneth burden jr. Computer Support 3 02-23-2006 12:04 AM
System 7 ISO or bootdisk Uplink Computer Information 3 01-24-2006 01:14 AM
bootdisk 95 janquin Computer Support 4 09-23-2004 08:31 PM
Help Please! Bootdisk Trouble lollie Computer Support 7 11-22-2003 09:13 AM
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk Robert Computer Support 0 10-15-2003 12:04 PM

Advertisments