Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Sybex and Microsoft text

Sybex and Microsoft text

New MCP

I'm currently studing for 70-290. How have people found the sybex and
Microsoft books. Are the two book enough?
--
New MCP

McKinley Morganfield

New MCP wrote:
> I'm currently studing for 70-290. How have people found the sybex and
> Microsoft books. Are the two book enough?

I have found the Sybex books a bit "lightweight". Both MS Press and
Sybex together should be sufficient. I am using both books for 290
and 291 tests

Gareth C

Well sybex cut out all the b*** S*** more less get to the point are you
reading any test kings ? im doing my exam on next friday : (

"McKinley Morganfield" wrote:

> New MCP wrote:
> > I'm currently studing for 70-290. How have people found the sybex and
> > Microsoft books. Are the two book enough?

> I have found the Sybex books a bit "lightweight". Both MS Press and
> Sybex together should be sufficient. I am using both books for 290
> and 291 tests

Mostly Gizzards

Stay away from TestKings. Learn the material and only use Microsoft
approved Practice Test Engines.

Microsoft specifically approves MeasureUp, and I can say that after using
MeasureUp on one of my tests that It does help with confidence and knowing
what the test will look like.

--
Mostly Gizzards

A+ Network+ MCSA

"Gareth C" <Gareth http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well sybex cut out all the b*** S*** more less get to the point are you
> reading any test kings ? im doing my exam on next friday : (
>
> "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:
>
>> New MCP wrote:
>> > I'm currently studing for 70-290. How have people found the sybex and
>> > Microsoft books. Are the two book enough?

>> I have found the Sybex books a bit "lightweight". Both MS Press and
>> Sybex together should be sufficient. I am using both books for 290
>> and 291 tests

Chessymonkey

I just finished 70-290, got my hands on the microsoft press first
and lucky enough i thought it would be wise to check out the sybex one
turned out they really put their focus very differently..
One thing i don't like the Micrsoft press is that it lack depths in some area
ie: the IIS and the terminal service is close to none
which turned out i was asked quite often when i actually sit the exam
Sybex covered the materials that actually shows up in the exam better imo
just my .2 , luckily i managed to pass eventually but don't
rely on m$ press alone imo. back to my 291 study

GoodNightJones

"Chessymonkey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just finished 70-290, got my hands on the microsoft press first
> and lucky enough i thought it would be wise to check out the sybex one
> turned out they really put their focus very differently..
> One thing i don't like the Micrsoft press is that it lack depths in some
> area
> ie: the IIS and the terminal service is close to none
> which turned out i was asked quite often when i actually sit the exam
> Sybex covered the materials that actually shows up in the exam better imo
> just my .2 , luckily i managed to pass eventually but don't
> rely on m$ press alone imo. back to my 291 study

Hi,

Im using the transender practise tests. Did you use them? Just wondering how
similar they are to the actual exam?

rgds

gnj

Simon@BSC Tech

I didn't get to use Transenders on 290 but i've used them back on A+ and
network+
Which i found them very helpful and the answers' explanations were rather
clear.
If u've done 270 u pretty much know how they would word the questions.
The only major difference would be the sim and those 3 that i had was rather
straight forward, so if u've done yr share of study there should be no
problem following through the sim.

GoodNightJones

"Simon@BSC Tech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't get to use Transenders on 290 but i've used them back on A+ and
> network+
> Which i found them very helpful and the answers' explanations were rather
> clear.
> If u've done 270 u pretty much know how they would word the questions.
> The only major difference would be the sim and those 3 that i had was
> rather
> straight forward, so if u've done yr share of study there should be no
> problem following through the sim.

Thanks, I did and I passed - woo hoo!