Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > New to MCSE

New to MCSE

Ellesun750

I am a Job Corps student enrolled in an A+/Microsoft program, actively
pursuing MCSE and Security + in the hopes of eventually being certified as an
Ethical Hacker. I'm currently studying for the first exam on Windows XP
Professional. I've heard that the first exam is simple by comparison to the
exams revolving around Server 2003 Network Infrastructure and others. To
anyone who is either certified in MCSE or is currently taking the exams: can
any of you tell me what are some definite points to study on in order to get
through the tests?
--
"Oh tell me do you live in dreams?
You''re not exactly what you seem to be.

John Strohecker

Your initial impressions are correct, and good luck BTW on your long term
plans.

The 270 exam which focuses on XP pro is significantly easier than the other
exams for most people. For that exam make sure you know subnetting, NTFS
permissions vs share permissions and ICS. In general be prepared to answer
questions that would get sent to a desktop support help desk from users who
have XP on their computer. This means troubleshooting install problems, file
access, network configurations and using diagnostic tools on the OS to
determine what the most likely cause of a given problem is.

When you get into the server exams there are a couple of areas to focus on
that will help. You *must* understand group policy....not just how to set
it, but to a certain extent you have to memorize the overall structure of the
GP snap in so that you can answer questions about where, specifically, to set
a particular policy. You will have a lot of questions about DNS and DHCP
configuration. It pays to know these two subjects cold...not just for a
single server but how to implement across an enterprise. As you get further
in the exams (assuming you take 290 and 291 first for the server side before
progressing to the design exams) you will have to understand FSMO roles and
how their placement impacts users. As I recall, trust relationships were
pretty big in the later exams as well.

I could go on and on, but your best bet is to take a look at what MS says to
study. I would add that you must be comfortable with the OS in question, so
that if you don't know an answer with certainty you can make an educated
guess. The help files that come with the OS often have a surprising amount
of depth, so don't be avoid them when looking for info. Many people neglect
that resource totally, focusing on any number of expensive test prep books.
--
John Strohecker, MCSE

"Ellesun750" wrote:

> I am a Job Corps student enrolled in an A+/Microsoft program, actively
> pursuing MCSE and Security + in the hopes of eventually being certified as an
> Ethical Hacker. I'm currently studying for the first exam on Windows XP
> Professional. I've heard that the first exam is simple by comparison to the
> exams revolving around Server 2003 Network Infrastructure and others. To
> anyone who is either certified in MCSE or is currently taking the exams: can
> any of you tell me what are some definite points to study on in order to get
> through the tests?
> --
> "Oh tell me do you live in dreams?
> You''re not exactly what you seem to be.
> Yeah, we want to follow Ellesun...
> but come tomorrow, we will want to run from Ellesun..."

Ellesun750

Thanks so much...at least I'm not totally in the dark anymore!
--
"Oh, tell me do you live in dreams?
You're not exactly what you seem to be.
Yeah, we want to follow Ellesun...
but come tomorrow, we will want to run from Ellesun..."
-Kevin Max, "Secret Circle"