Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > MCSA

Techx1

Im would like to become a MCSA. I just order a couple of books wish I will
be getting sone. I will be studing on my own. I have a PC at home. I would
like to by a secound hand server so I could do soon hands on pratic at home.
Could sombody recommend me what type of server I should buy to practice?
Besides a server and a PC what other piece of equipment would help my
practice?

Thank you
--
techx1

John Strohecker

Not sure why you would want to buy any computer second hand. Dell has some
pretty cheap low-end servers in their poweredge line. If you have a spare
monitor, keyboard, and mouse lying around it is even cheaper. Might as well
buy new since the whole rig will cost under $500. Then when you are done
using this to study for the MCSA cert you can install a client OS on it and
have one more serviceable computer around the house.

--
John Strohecker, MCSE

"Techx1" wrote:

> Im would like to become a MCSA. I just order a couple of books wish I will
> be getting sone. I will be studing on my own. I have a PC at home. I would
> like to by a secound hand server so I could do soon hands on pratic at home.
> Could sombody recommend me what type of server I should buy to practice?
> Besides a server and a PC what other piece of equipment would help my
> practice?
>
> Thank you
> --
> techx1

Ron Hogue

If you can find the Microsoft Official Curriculum for any of the intro
classes (2274, 75, 76, 77) that were published in 2005, they SHOULD have a
180-day trial version of the server software with a key. Microsoft no longer
provides the software with the new versions of the books.

If I wanted to just play around with Server 2003, I would try to find these
books used. I imagine people have taken the classes and test and no longer
need the book or cd and would gladly sell it to you.

Ron Hogue

"Techx1" wrote:

> Im would like to become a MCSA. I just order a couple of books wish I will
> be getting sone. I will be studing on my own. I have a PC at home. I would
> like to by a secound hand server so I could do soon hands on pratic at home.
> Could sombody recommend me what type of server I should buy to practice?
> Besides a server and a PC what other piece of equipment would help my
> practice?
>
> Thank you
> --
> techx1

Amey Abhyankar.

Haha ! You really don't need to buy a Box to become an M.C.S.A. It is
required
if you are apreaing for some exam like CCNA. Well but for CCNA you need router
box not PC box. Use a 3rd generation technology called " Virtualisation" which
will save your money investing to buy second hand server which is not
required.
And when you purchase server, you'll also need to buy license version of
Microsoft® Windows® 2003 Server STD and Ent edition's. Is it going to be da
worth? I dont think so. Just read Microsoft® press books, study Testking, and
there you go. MCSA is not a big deal. Exams on Cisco platforms are much
tough than Microsoft.

Regards,
--
Amey Abhyankar.
[ M.C.P. Since 2002 ; M.C.S.E. Windows 2000 ; M.C.S.A. Windows server

John Strohecker

Not sure that I agree with you on some points, but that's ok. Just bear in
mind that the original poster specifically said that he wanted to buy a
server to practice.

As for what's more difficult the MCSA or CCNA stuff, it all depends on what
you have experience on. If you deal with routers regularly then CCNA is
likely easier, especially since it can be done with a single exam. If you
have been a sysadmin for a AD domain for a while then MCSA might be more up
your alley.

The recommendation to use virtualisation isn't bad, but I would always
prefer to set up a lab and do the stuff with actual boxes...just my
preference. Besides, anybody hanging out on these newsgroups probably has a
spare computer or two lying around anyway. Why not pull them together into a
LAN and do this stuff for real?

As for books and software, get yourself a copy of the MOCC for the 290 or
291 exam and it comes with a trial version of server 2003 enterprise.

Just my two cents.
--
John Strohecker, MCSE

"Amey Abhyankar." wrote:

> Haha ! You really don't need to buy a Box to become an M.C.S.A. It is
> required
> if you are apreaing for some exam like CCNA. Well but for CCNA you need router
> box not PC box. Use a 3rd generation technology called " Virtualisation" which
> will save your money investing to buy second hand server which is not
> required.
> And when you purchase server, you'll also need to buy license version of
> Microsoft® Windows® 2003 Server STD and Ent edition's. Is it going to be da
> worth? I dont think so. Just read Microsoft® press books, study Testking, and
> there you go. MCSA is not a big deal. Exams on Cisco platforms are much
> tough than Microsoft.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Amey Abhyankar.
> [ M.C.P. Since 2002 ; M.C.S.E. Windows 2000 ; M.C.S.A. Windows server
> 2003 ; M.C.S.E. Windows server 2003 ; M.C.S.A. Security ; M.C.S.E. Security ]

MitchS

"Amey Abhyankar." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Haha ! You really don't need to buy a Box to become an M.C.S.A. It is
> required
> if you are apreaing for some exam like CCNA. Well but for CCNA you need
> router
> box not PC box. Use a 3rd generation technology called " Virtualisation"
> which
> will save your money investing to buy second hand server which is not
> required.
> And when you purchase server, you'll also need to buy license version of
> Microsoft Windows 2003 Server STD and Ent edition's. Is it going to be
> da
> worth? I dont think so. Just read Microsoft press books, study Testking,
> and
> there you go. MCSA is not a big deal. Exams on Cisco platforms are much
> tough than Microsoft.

That has got to be some of the stupidest drivel I have ever seen spew forth
from a self proclaimed MCSE. A few points:
1. You don't need to buy a box but I myself preferred it to visualization
2. If you buy a practice box, you don't have to buy software. You get a
six month trial version with MS Press books
3. Testkings?!?!?!? Are you that ignorant that you couldn't pass the test
without cheating.
4. Cisco tests aren't that different if you learn the product rather than
memorize answers.

--
Mitch "hoping that duma$$ is a troll" S.

CBIC

> study Testking, and there you go.

Assfvcker
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

TBone

And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause
the electrons to come together and form the following words:

> Just read Microsoft® press
> books, study Testking, and there you go.

Hey, you finally get the courage to come back to this group after being run
out of it last year and you are still an ashfarker, aren't you?

Come to think of it I had you plonked. What's the matter have to sign up
again becuase MS pulled your account for endorsing piracy? Now you've
stepped up to cheating, huh?

--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL