Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > experience

experience

Jim

I guess I am confused, because most of the exam books (Managing and
Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment, etc.) explain that you are
familiar with the Server 2003 environment.

How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and tests all
recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a beginner class
that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no knowledge/experience
to certified.

CBIC

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> embarrassed himself by saying:
> I guess I am confused, because most of the exam books (Managing and
> Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment, etc.) explain that you
> are familiar with the Server 2003 environment.
>
> How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and
> tests all recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a
> beginner class that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and
> anxious to learn, but sometimes I don't understand the method to get
> from no knowledge/experience to certified.

The best way to get hands on experience is to setup a small lab at home with
spare PCs and go through the lab exercises in the book. There's also
volunteer work.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

Andy Ruth [MSFT]

Hi Jim,
Our Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) courses are available through our
training partners (located around the world) and are focused at that level.
Another good way to start is to try our eLearning courses that are for the
MCSA track. The training is self-paced and provides VM environment to do the
labs and play with multiple servers. If you don't have the hardware at home,
it is a good solution.

Andy Ruth
Microsoft Learning

rights.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I guess I am confused, because most of the exam books (Managing and
> Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment, etc.) explain that you are
> familiar with the Server 2003 environment.
>
> How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and tests
> all
> recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a beginner class
> that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
> sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no
> knowledge/experience
> to certified.

Rowdy Yates

Jim wrote:
> I guess I am confused, because most of the exam books (Managing and
> Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment, etc.) explain that you are
> familiar with the Server 2003 environment.
>
> How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and tests all
> recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a beginner class
> that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
> sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no knowledge/experience
> to certified.

aye...!! thats the 'ole catch-22 working there against you.

the truth is, if you really want to do this stuff, you need to do two
things:

#1) forget about making a lot of money doing it (well, it's gonna be
more than flipping burgers - but you ain't getting rich and driving a
Ferrerri -- at least not until you become an MCNGP!)

#2) get with the times. technology and software is changing.
virtualization is gaining ground. you don't need heaps of hardware and
heat to setup a test environment.

http://www.vmware.com/

MS also make 'em, but VMWare will give you the server and player and you
can win a coupon for a free ver. of their WS product if you keep on top
of their mailings and promo announcements.

learn the VM products. learn to setup the MS products in a VM
environment. this will prove very useful in future when you get a job -
most of my test and experimentation is done in VM not real hardware!).
and of course, learn the materials in the MS training materials. you
migth also want to read up on traditional networking, you can buy the
book or read for free online. here one thats pretty okay.
http://www.tcpipguide.com/.

you might also want to try to volunteer or bug consultants in your area
to give you experience for free. i regualrly bring on extra held in
exchange for experience given on soem of my consutlting jobs.

RY

--
Rowdy Yates, MCNGP Thug #39
http://www.mcngp.com/

MitchS

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and tests
> all
> recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a beginner class
> that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and anxious to learn, but
> sometimes I don't understand the method to get from no
> knowledge/experience
> to certified.

Volunteer, aprrenticeship/internship, help desk. Classes to get your feet
wet would include things like A+ and Network+, and perhaps MCP on WinXP or
MCDST. HTH HAND

--
Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

TBone

And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)>
did cause the electrons to come together and form the following words:

> How do you get into this field with no experience if the books and
> tests all recommend you have 6 to 12 months of experience? Is there a
> beginner class that allows me to get my feet wet? I am willing and
> anxious to learn, but sometimes I don't understand the method to get
> from no knowledge/experience to certified.

MCSE and MCSA are designed to be certifications for experienced IT
professionals. If you are just starting out then something like the MCDST
might help you get into an entry level position.

--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

JD

I started my certs with
A+ OS
A+Hardware
A+Network
MCDST/MCP
When it was time to start studying MCSE I downloaded a demo copy of MS 2003
enterprise and a copy of SBS 2003 and ran them on my PC.I set up a
small(cheap)network of PCs and just started going thru the courses.

Experience Beta 2 Kit Elvis ASP .Net 1 07-27-2005 11:39 AM
Samsung Experience (6.17.05) Event Coverage at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 3 06-26-2005 07:10 AM
OPINIONS/EXPERIENCE PLEASE: Wireless Network Adapters and Base Stations of different brands Jimmy Dean Wireless Networking 2 02-22-2005 02:42 PM
Storable - Anyone with experience with this perl mod? Harsha Perl 1 09-11-2004 07:39 PM
Is there a person who I experience absurd event that experience? PS2 gamer Cisco 4 06-01-2004 07:52 PM

Advertisments