Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Training Book Recommendation

Training Book Recommendation

Julia B

Can anyone recommend any particular brand of training books are good and
accurate and make a good supplement to the Microsoft Press books when
studying for an exam?

I passed 70-270 yesterday. It was harder than I expected. There were a few
things in a few of the questions that I don't remember reading about when I
studied. Now I'm studying for 70-290 and I'd like to be better prepared for
it than I was for this one. I have the Microsoft Press book for this one but
I'd like to get a second book of another brand to go along with it.

Also, the Microsoft book comes with some MeasureUp practice tests. Does
anybody know if they're the same ones I'd get if I bought them from
MeasureUp. I don't want to buy another practice test if I don't need to but
I don't want to be under prepared either so if I need to I will.

BoardingBrandon

Julia B,

Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
content in the book.
Any response would be helpful

Julia B

"BoardingBrandon" wrote:

> Julia B,
>
> Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
> me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
> have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
> book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
> content in the book.
> Any response would be helpful

I used the MSPress book. But mine was older. It was the white one with the
guy sitting at the computer on the cover. I believe there is a newer version
out now. Mine wasn't one of the reengineered versions. The reengineered
version with the blue cover is probably better. The book I'm studying from
now for 290 is the Microsoft Press book. It's blue and on the back says it
fully reengineered. So far this book seems to be designed better. Also, I
did get a lot of information from the XP Resource Kit on the Microsoft
website. I got way more information from it than I got from the book. There
were a few topics that I had wanted to go back and review but I ran out of
time. Oh well, I passed. The whole time I was taking it I thought I was
going to fail. I was really nervous though. It was my first Microsof exam.

Andrey Ivanov

Hello, Julia.

I passed six exams in all. I did always use Microsoft Press books for
preparation (with blue cover) and I'm very satisfied with these books. If
you'll read and understand all of the content from "Read at you own pace"
section, I believe your attempt to pass 70-290 will be successful.

"Julia B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend any particular brand of training books are good and
> accurate and make a good supplement to the Microsoft Press books when
> studying for an exam?
>
> I passed 70-270 yesterday. It was harder than I expected. There were a
> few
> things in a few of the questions that I don't remember reading about when
> studied. Now I'm studying for 70-290 and I'd like to be better prepared
> for
> it than I was for this one. I have the Microsoft Press book for this one
> but
> I'd like to get a second book of another brand to go along with it.
>
> Also, the Microsoft book comes with some MeasureUp practice tests. Does
> anybody know if they're the same ones I'd get if I bought them from
> MeasureUp. I don't want to buy another practice test if I don't need to
> but
> I don't want to be under prepared either so if I need to I will.

BoardingBrandon

I think that's great! I will be taking my first exam (270) in early May. I'm
already anxious. What type of job are you doing now? Did you take the test to
advance your carrier? If so, did your achievement go unnoticed, or were you
rewarded? Good luck on your next exam and keep me posted.

"Julia B" wrote:

> "BoardingBrandon" wrote:
>
> > Julia B,
> >
> > Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
> > me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
> > have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
> > book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
> > content in the book.
> > Any response would be helpful
> >

> I used the MSPress book. But mine was older. It was the white one with the
> guy sitting at the computer on the cover. I believe there is a newer version
> out now. Mine wasn't one of the reengineered versions. The reengineered
> version with the blue cover is probably better. The book I'm studying from
> now for 290 is the Microsoft Press book. It's blue and on the back says it
> fully reengineered. So far this book seems to be designed better. Also, I
> did get a lot of information from the XP Resource Kit on the Microsoft
> website. I got way more information from it than I got from the book. There
> were a few topics that I had wanted to go back and review but I ran out of
> time. Oh well, I passed. The whole time I was taking it I thought I was
> going to fail. I was really nervous though. It was my first Microsof exam.

Julia B

I'm a network technician/system administrator for a fairly large company with
approximately 400 locations. I've been in IT for about 7 years. I've been
wanting to get my certifications since I graduated from college in 2000 but
finding the time or money was hard since I'm a single parent. Last year we
completely re-engineered the network. We moved from NT server to 2003 and
are now on Active Directory. It's great. I think what motivated me to
finally get with it and get certified is that I'd reached a point where there
was no more room for advancement without getting certified. Also, I'm really
excited about the conversion to active directory and want to learn as much as
I can. Our CIO called me and congratulated me on passing the test and told
me he was proud of me and asked what the next exam was and what my next
certification would be. He's real big on certifications. I plan to get my
MCSA and then keep going and get my MCSE. Then I'd like to get my CCA. I
don't really expect to see a raise in pay until I have my MCSA. I hope to
take this second exam in May. I'm taking the class for it the first week in
May. My company is paying for that. I've already started studying. This
weekend I'm going to load up my Windows Server 2003 study server. Good
luck on your exam.

Are you already in IT?

"BoardingBrandon" wrote:

> I think that's great! I will be taking my first exam (270) in early May. I'm
> already anxious. What type of job are you doing now? Did you take the test to
> advance your carrier? If so, did your achievement go unnoticed, or were you
> rewarded? Good luck on your next exam and keep me posted.

> "Julia B" wrote:
>
> > "BoardingBrandon" wrote:
> >
> > > Julia B,
> > >
> > > Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
> > > me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
> > > have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
> > > book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
> > > content in the book.
> > > Any response would be helpful
> > >

> > I used the MSPress book. But mine was older. It was the white one with the
> > guy sitting at the computer on the cover. I believe there is a newer version
> > out now. Mine wasn't one of the reengineered versions. The reengineered
> > version with the blue cover is probably better. The book I'm studying from
> > now for 290 is the Microsoft Press book. It's blue and on the back says it
> > fully reengineered. So far this book seems to be designed better. Also, I
> > did get a lot of information from the XP Resource Kit on the Microsoft
> > website. I got way more information from it than I got from the book. There
> > were a few topics that I had wanted to go back and review but I ran out of
> > time. Oh well, I passed. The whole time I was taking it I thought I was
> > going to fail. I was really nervous though. It was my first Microsof exam.

Julia B

Cool, thanks! These newer Microsoft Press books with the blue cover do seem
to be better than the older ones.

"Andrey Ivanov" wrote:

> Hello, Julia.
>
> I passed six exams in all. I did always use Microsoft Press books for
> preparation (with blue cover) and I'm very satisfied with these books. If
> you'll read and understand all of the content from "Read at you own pace"
> section, I believe your attempt to pass 70-290 will be successful.
>
> "Julia B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone recommend any particular brand of training books are good and
> > accurate and make a good supplement to the Microsoft Press books when
> > studying for an exam?
> >
> > I passed 70-270 yesterday. It was harder than I expected. There were a
> > few
> > things in a few of the questions that I don't remember reading about when
> > studied. Now I'm studying for 70-290 and I'd like to be better prepared
> > for
> > it than I was for this one. I have the Microsoft Press book for this one
> > but
> > I'd like to get a second book of another brand to go along with it.
> >
> > Also, the Microsoft book comes with some MeasureUp practice tests. Does
> > anybody know if they're the same ones I'd get if I bought them from
> > MeasureUp. I don't want to buy another practice test if I don't need to
> > but
> > I don't want to be under prepared either so if I need to I will.

Paul UK

Hi Julia,

congrats on you 70-270 MCP, I found that exam more difficult than expected,
70-290 was easier than expected. the only diff between the two was "Terminal
Serives" and there was only a couple of questions on that. I use MS Press
and Sybex for my study materials. if your doing the training course aswell,
you should be fine. 70-291 is a tuff one "be prepared" if you have any more
q's, ask.

good luck, its worth is in the end...
--
Thanks

Paul...
---------
MCP
MCDST
MCSA

Working on:
MCSE
MCDBA

"BoardingBrandon" wrote:

> Julia B,
>
> Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question, but your statement brings
> me to ask you a question. - What book did you study in for the 270 test? I
> have the MSpress book, and I'm about half way through it. If you used this
> book, I don't want to be superficially prepared and fail due to lack of
> content in the book.
> Any response would be helpful

Pablo the once was MCSE

Congrats on the 270 pass. I'm preparing for the 290. I've taken about 12 MS
exams and never liked a one...lol.

I recently took and passed the 271 and 272 in about 3 to 4 weeks study and
passwed both first time...thank goodness.

I'll post when I take the 290 my result.

Also I recommend to all getting the transcenders as well as the books.
These really help me prepare for what's to come on the exam. The last two
exams I took I felt pretty comfortable all the way through. When I take a
exam w/o the transcenders I'm a nervous freak.

Paul in Texas
once certified MCSE NT 4, MCSA 2000, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, CNE 3.12, CNA
3.12/4.11 hmm did i leave anything out...lol

"Julia B" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any particular brand of training books are good and
> accurate and make a good supplement to the Microsoft Press books when
> studying for an exam?
>
> I passed 70-270 yesterday. It was harder than I expected. There were a few
> things in a few of the questions that I don't remember reading about when I
> studied. Now I'm studying for 70-290 and I'd like to be better prepared for
> it than I was for this one. I have the Microsoft Press book for this one but
> I'd like to get a second book of another brand to go along with it.
>
> Also, the Microsoft book comes with some MeasureUp practice tests. Does
> anybody know if they're the same ones I'd get if I bought them from
> MeasureUp. I don't want to buy another practice test if I don't need to but
> I don't want to be under prepared either so if I need to I will.

JFresh

Hi Julia,

I am currently studying for the 270 exam and was wondering if you could
provide some insight on it.

Did you also use the measure Up practice test that came with the book?
That's the one I'm currently using as well and I have the MSPress book with
the blue cover. Around what scores were you getting on your practice tests
before you took the plunge?

Finally, was your exam all multiple choice or was it a mix of different
types of questions? I've heard it can be either but was just curious. Also,
if anyone has a definitive answer as to what kind of questions to expect on
the exam that woudl be helpful too =).

Also, I tried the SelfTest software practice questions and got the "study
guide" along with it. Personally I really didn't like them. All the questions
were multiple choice and were so very specific that I ended up getting a
bunch wrong. When I sat down to read the study guide I saw that the study
guide is basically a cheat sheet to their exam. If anyone else is reading
this has your experience been similar to mine as far as the SelfTest exams
go?

Thanks for all your help Julia!

JFresh