Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Failed 70-291 again. Doh!

Failed 70-291 again. Doh!

Stu Cousins

Hey all,

I failed 70-291 at the 2nd attempt today and failed with 519. This exam
seemed much, much more difficult than when I sat my 1st attempt a few weeks
ago. I was confident 1st attempt and some of the questions were tough but
generally I thought I'd done well. I just missed out on the 1st attempt by
scoring 677. On my 1st attempt there was 53 questions and there were 43
questions this time around. The allowed time for both exams was the same (3
hrs). Is there no consistency between the exams does anyone know?

I sat my 1st attempt before the new 2nd Shot promotion came in. I booked my
resit the other week whilst the promotion was in full swing. I may be
paranoid but do MS make the exams during this promotional period tougher as
to make up for lost renevue as effectively you're getting 2 exams for the
price of one if you fail? This exact same thing happened when I sat 70-292
last Summer when MS had the 2nd Shot promotion on then.

Has anyone else experienced this or is just the luck of the draw on how may
questions (and difficulty of them) you recieve on the day?

Thanks,

Stu

FinalHokage

I am supposed to take 70-291 next thursday, I thought I was lucky to get the
second shot promotion on time, but it seems that is the other way around.
Stu, can you provide some information about the dificulty of the exam. can
you write like how many simulations you encountered? and what were the main
topics like DNS? SUS? or DHCP something like that?

thanks for the help!

"Stu Cousins" wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I failed 70-291 at the 2nd attempt today and failed with 519. This exam
> seemed much, much more difficult than when I sat my 1st attempt a few weeks
> ago. I was confident 1st attempt and some of the questions were tough but
> generally I thought I'd done well. I just missed out on the 1st attempt by
> scoring 677. On my 1st attempt there was 53 questions and there were 43
> questions this time around. The allowed time for both exams was the same (3
> hrs). Is there no consistency between the exams does anyone know?
>
> I sat my 1st attempt before the new 2nd Shot promotion came in. I booked my
> resit the other week whilst the promotion was in full swing. I may be
> paranoid but do MS make the exams during this promotional period tougher as
> to make up for lost renevue as effectively you're getting 2 exams for the
> price of one if you fail? This exact same thing happened when I sat 70-292
> last Summer when MS had the 2nd Shot promotion on then.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or is just the luck of the draw on how may
> questions (and difficulty of them) you recieve on the day?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stu

Jeroen Wijnands

FinalHokage wrote:
> I am supposed to take 70-291 next thursday, I thought I was lucky to get the
> second shot promotion on time, but it seems that is the other way around.
> Stu, can you provide some information about the dificulty of the exam. can
> you write like how many simulations you encountered? and what were the main
> topics like DNS? SUS? or DHCP something like that?

Read back a bit, I posted my 291 experience a week or two ago.

Stu Cousins

Hi FH

The subject matter for the questions were the samne to when I took

70-291 several weeks back - mainly RAS, SUS, DNS and Security (templates,
CA, IPSEC, etc). However, I'm finding it difficult to give you examples on
how tough the questions were. It seemed very much like 70-292, which I
found hard. I have a few years sys admin experience, managing 10-20
infrastructure servers at my workplace (Win 2K and 2K3) and used MS Press
study guide and MeasureUP tests for study materials.

I felt as if I knew the MS Press book very well, apart from IP addressing
and security protocols. The exam seemed to require much more in depth info
that that provided in that guide. I know we should not all rely on one book
and instead use several, which is what I normally do. I admit that I don't
know enough to pass the exam but I'm just confused (and frustrated) as to
the levels of difficulty inconsistency between the two versions I took. I'm
not bitter at all............honest!! LOL.

Hope this helps and good luck

"Stu Cousins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> I failed 70-291 at the 2nd attempt today and failed with 519. This exam
> seemed much, much more difficult than when I sat my 1st attempt a few
> weeks ago. I was confident 1st attempt and some of the questions were
> tough but generally I thought I'd done well. I just missed out on the 1st
> attempt by scoring 677. On my 1st attempt there was 53 questions and
> there were 43 questions this time around. The allowed time for both exams
> was the same (3 hrs). Is there no consistency between the exams does
> anyone know?
>
> I sat my 1st attempt before the new 2nd Shot promotion came in. I booked
> my resit the other week whilst the promotion was in full swing. I may be
> paranoid but do MS make the exams during this promotional period tougher
> as to make up for lost renevue as effectively you're getting 2 exams for
> the price of one if you fail? This exact same thing happened when I sat
> 70-292 last Summer when MS had the 2nd Shot promotion on then.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or is just the luck of the draw on how
> may questions (and difficulty of them) you recieve on the day?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stu

VN

DO NOT USE MS PRESS BOOKS TO STUDY FOR MS EXAMS. GOOD LUCK TO ALL

"Stu Cousins" wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I failed 70-291 at the 2nd attempt today and failed with 519. This exam
> seemed much, much more difficult than when I sat my 1st attempt a few weeks
> ago. I was confident 1st attempt and some of the questions were tough but
> generally I thought I'd done well. I just missed out on the 1st attempt by
> scoring 677. On my 1st attempt there was 53 questions and there were 43
> questions this time around. The allowed time for both exams was the same (3
> hrs). Is there no consistency between the exams does anyone know?
>
> I sat my 1st attempt before the new 2nd Shot promotion came in. I booked my
> resit the other week whilst the promotion was in full swing. I may be
> paranoid but do MS make the exams during this promotional period tougher as
> to make up for lost renevue as effectively you're getting 2 exams for the
> price of one if you fail? This exact same thing happened when I sat 70-292
> last Summer when MS had the 2nd Shot promotion on then.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or is just the luck of the draw on how may
> questions (and difficulty of them) you recieve on the day?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stu

Jeroen Wijnands

VN wrote:
> DO NOT USE MS PRESS BOOKS TO STUDY FOR MS EXAMS. GOOD LUCK TO ALL
>
> "Stu Cousins" wrote:
> <snip>

1. Don't toppost
2. Don't shout