Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Which exam to do first

Which exam to do first

Vantage

I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier to get me
started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.

I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To those
who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you recommend starting
with, XP or 2003?

thanks

Bill McPherson

I recommend XP. If you don't have XP or 2003 experience, it is real basic
and brings you up to speed on new stuff. If you are experienced with XP, it
should be a piece of cake. Yummy yummy chocolate cake.

--
Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."

"Vantage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eG7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier to get

me
> started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.
>
> I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To those
> who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you recommend

starting
> with, XP or 2003?
>
> thanks

jhardee

I agree with Bill. I'd recommend that you do 70-270, then 70-290, then
70-291. Then you can plan for the MCSE. I'd recommend you also take a look
at CompTIA tests too, depending on where you want to go with your career and
how much experience you already have. If anything, taking the Security+ exam
will serve as an MCSE elective.

Congrats on your MCDST, btw!

--Jeff

"Vantage" wrote:

> I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier to get me
> started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.
>
> I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To those
> who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you recommend starting
> with, XP or 2003?
>
> thanks

Vantage

Thanks guys

A lot of my experience is based in the old 98/NT areas and for years my
friends and myself said that we were going to do our MCSEs, which just never
happened. So after not being able to find "good" job for a few years, I
decided to take 14 months off from everything and get the certs I've wanted
(I orginally planned for MCSA, but thats expanded).

At the moment, I'm planning my cert path as:
- MCDST
- MCSA
- A+
- CCNA

And non-tech courses:
- Cert IV in Business Management (which I'm donig now in tandem with the
tech certs)
- Basic & Advanced First Aid

I started my own support business and I'm currently supporting about 10
small organizations; I've moved to regional australia, so they're
typically government funded/non-for-profit setups that supply services to
remote communitys. I the mind set of these people; they're a great bunch of
people to work with. Such a change after working in the city for 12 years.
And it keeps my head above water.

I find it really funny that now I've done the MCDST (which I consider the
easiest MS cert to obtain), I'm turning down fairly good job offers (mainly
through friends in the industry). I just know if I don't get on top of
things now (I've 12 of the 14 months left), I'll only get caught back up in
the daily grid of things.

I realise I probably won't get all those certs done in the next 12 months,
so I'm not setting myself up for a fall. Hopefully I'll be able to afford to
do either Cisco or CompTIA (or parts of) in instructor lead classes, when
the time comes.

"jhardee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree with Bill. I'd recommend that you do 70-270, then 70-290, then
> 70-291. Then you can plan for the MCSE. I'd recommend you also take a
> look
> at CompTIA tests too, depending on where you want to go with your career
> and
> how much experience you already have. If anything, taking the Security+
> exam
> will serve as an MCSE elective.
>
> Congrats on your MCDST, btw!
>
> --Jeff
>
> "Vantage" wrote:
>
>> I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier to get
>> me
>> started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.
>>
>> I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To those
>> who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you recommend
>> starting
>> with, XP or 2003?
>>
>> thanks

Lasher

"Vantage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:eG7#(E-Mail Removed):

> I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier to
> get me started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.
>
> I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To
> those who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you
> recommend starting with, XP or 2003?
>
> thanks

Go get your 70-270 since the 70-271 and 70-272 exams are fresh on your
mind. If you did well on those two, you should have no problem with 70-
270.

--
Lasher
MCNGP 110010

mcsejoe

Vantage wrote:
> *I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier
> to get me
> started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.
>
> I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To
> those
> who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you recommend
> starting
> with, XP or 2003?
>
> thanks *

70-270 of course

--
mcsejoe

AmS

MCP

"mcsejoe" wrote:

> Vantage wrote:
> > *I've recently completed a MCDST, which I chose as something easier
> > to get me
> > started. Ultimately I want to go MCSA.
> >
> > I notice that the XP cert (70-270) seems to very server centric. To
> > those
> > who have completed both the XP & 2003 exams; which do you recommend
> > starting
> > with, XP or 2003?
> >
> > thanks *

> 70-270 of course
>

> --
> mcsejoe

i also passed MCDST, but quite curious if i really need to take 70-270, for
me to be a MCSA under windows 2003, do i really need to take that? any
comments..

i will really appreciate ur feedback re: this matter

nguyenhaan

First 70-270, 70-290 , 70-291 , 70-284 that's my way.

--
nguyenhaan