Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Tips for preparing to take 70-290

Tips for preparing to take 70-290

PeterB

Well, passed my first MCP exam today. 70-290 was although a lot harder then i
thought although the time was more than enough for me. So a few tips:
- You'll need to have real situations to relate to. I dont think just
studying will do the trick, maybe for a few Brainiacs...
- The 2273 course is not covering the entire exam. You'll need to study the
Apendices hard!
- If You're even just a bit unsure: Take Prep Exams like Measure Up. I think
thats what helped me the most besides taking a course and practical
experience. Another side effect of the preps is learning how to read the
questions... Not having English as a native language makes this a problem
otherwise.
- Use the review option on each question that You have slightest doubt in.
- Take Your time to read and understand the questions. In review mode I
discovered a couple of errors made because not paying attention to the first
sentence...
- Last one: Use the comment feature to let MS know about the "Hypothetic
questions"... Because there are some of those.... Come on: Who uses 56kbps to
connect to branch offices???

Good Luck!

Jeroen Wijnands

PeterB wrote:
><snip>
> - Last one: Use the comment feature to let MS know about the "Hypothetic
> questions"... Because there are some of those.... Come on: Who uses 56kbps to
> connect to branch offices???

I felt the same way about all those silly software raid solutions. I
mean, come on, in this day and age even my fairly standard Asus
motherboard already comes with hardware Raid1.

Jeroen

Julia B

Believe it or not, there are people in the real world that use both a 56k
connection and a software raid ... as sad as that may sound.

Our company has a few small locations that are connected via 56k frame relay
connections. They're in locations where they just can't get any sort of high
speed internet connection.

I got some good experience with a software raid recently. In one of our
regional billing offices we have a NAS that we use as our file server. One
of the drives failed. It went down. Since it was only 1 bad drive in a RAID
it should have stayed up. It didn't. We finally figured out that we had to
actually break the mirror and remove the bad drive and then rebuild the
mirror to get it to come back up with 1 less drive. We didn't lose any data,
so that part worked at least.